The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend or NOT recommend body shops in the Bay Area?

Someone tapped my rear clam while it was parked. Damage is minor but their insurance is taking care of everything and I want to obviously make sure it's repaired at a shop that is familiar with Lotus cars.

Your assistance is appreciated.

Tim

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm considering Superior Body Shop at Boardwalk Lotus. Any info on them?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Decided on Cars Dawydiak..... Boardwalk Lotus recommended them.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
nooo!!! anybody but them. Sorrine (Agentxxx/Sprvxn)had a terrible experience with them... I'd recommend with either Dietchwerks or there's another shop in Campbell that the name escapes me.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies.

I'll check out Exotic Autoworks.

What's wrong with Cars Dawydiak?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nooo!!! anybody but them. Sorrine (Agentxxx/Sprvxn)had a terrible experience with them... I'd recommend with either Dietchwerks or there's another shop in Campbell that the name escapes me.
Can you link me to the thread or be more specific as to the problem he had?
Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
816 Posts
United, right next to Suspension Performance, has done amazing work on several Elises I've seen personally, including custom work like turn signal deletes, moving door buttons, rounding fender flares, etc. For basic work like repainting a clam I've seen in at least two cases the paint finish is better than factory. They also painted stripes back on Mark's lotus sport Elise, etc. Never heard of a single complaint other than maybe it takes a while, but that may have been waiting for parts, not sure.

Had a friend really unhappy with a place Boardwalk recommended (three repaints to color match and still not right), though I don't think it was the shop mentioned above. (update--was Superior)

Since we're on the topic, B-line Autobody in/near San Jose also does amazing work, though don't have personal experience with fiberglass or lotuses. They specialize in BMWs and did an incredible job on my M Coupe on two different occasions.

For older cars, D&M in the Berkeley area (right off 80, next door to muffler works) is incredible. I had a terrible experience at a shop in SF, who had my TR6 for 6 months and the car came out worse overall than it went in. D&M said
they'd take one week to repaint the hood, they did a great job for a reasonable price, and were done on time! I can't tell you how rare this is for older cars since old cars are often squeezed in between insurance work. When I was there he was delivering a cobra to a customer in single stage black paint and it was a perfect mirror finish.

I'm really anal about tiny details so just like to share my experience with people working hard to do excellent work.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I will make note of your suggestions and do some more research.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Cars Dawydiak is really over priced for the quality of work. When paying 50%-100% above what others charge, you'd expect perfection, but the initial workmanship they provided was pretty shoddy. Only after I pointed out all of the flaws (horrible orange peel, pitting/dust particles embedded in paint, drip marks not properly buffed out before hitting with clear coat, etc.) did they work to correct the issue, which required a full respray. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been had my paint been multi-stage.

My guess is that they rush through the work the first time around expecting most of their customer's to not be able to tell the difference. I'll never go back to them.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Going with Exotic Motorsports in Campbell. I'll post up on how it goes. Thanks again for the support!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cars Dawydiak is really over priced for the quality of work. When paying 50%-100% above what others charge, you'd expect perfection, but the initial workmanship they provided was pretty shoddy. Only after I pointed out all of the flaws (horrible orange peel, pitting/dust particles embedded in paint, drip marks not properly buffed out before hitting with clear coat, etc.) did they work to correct the issue, which required a full respray. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been had my paint been multi-stage.

My guess is that they rush through the work the first time around expecting most of their customer's to not be able to tell the difference. I'll never go back to them.
Thanks for this info. This helps a lot. Their reviews online are hot and cold. I will say that their customer service is top notch. Glad you could define their workmanship.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'll second the recommendation to United Collision in Mt. View. Had major damage to my car and took it to them. They repaired some body panels, replaced and customized my front clam (see my avatar) and repainted the car and the stripes. Obed has done work on a number of Lotuses. The work is flawless. Can't recommend them highly enough.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Picked up my car today. 48 days total in the shop.

Exotic Auto works did outstanding work. Better than before and completely factory looking. The Aspen paint is flawless!

I can say without a doubt that this shop is highly recommended for any bodywork or insurance claims.

PM me if you want details or info.

I'm glad to have my car back to enjoy the rest of the summer.

Drive safe!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts