The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the bottom rocker wrapped and windows tinted. Any thoughts on tinting the side windows 30% and leaving the back window untouched ? What do most people do with the back window? Pictured here is my midlife crisis red Evora and a picture of what I’m trying to accomplish with the rocker and rear panel wrap.
Wheel Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was actually thinking of tinting my Evora too. My fiancée just got her car done in ceramic 30% tint all around and I think it looks perfect. Dark enough to just see a shadow in the car but not dark enough to not see out of at night. The only thing stopping me is I love seeing the engine in the rear! I may bite the bullet and get 30% on the rear too as ceramic tints are supposed to keep the heat out.

·
Registered
2018 Evora 400
317 Posts
I tinted the rearwindow as dark as i could, helps at night with thise headlights. But I do have a rearview camera setup. Also i went with ceramic tint to make things cooler.

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Cloud

·
Registered
2021 Evora GT
2,640 Posts
I'd leave the engine alone to see it better. Pers pref

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd leave the engine alone to see it better. Pers pref
Heat from the engine was a concern as well. I’m going to tint the sides 30% and leave the back window alone. Here in Florida 30% seems to be the standard.
Any thoughts on the bottom rocker wrap? I’m unsure of the durability on wraps… Anyone have experience with wraps?

·
Registered
380 Posts
The heat won't hurt the tint. I had 35% done on my side and rear glass. The rear is already darkened slightly from the factory, but I don't find my rear glass be noticeably different in appearance than the side windows. Something to consider is that a dark colored interior will make the tint look darker than it really is.

·
Premium Member
2,011 Posts
I'd leave the back window un-tinted. If it were black pack maybe tint it then. I don't think it will bad if it's tinted in either case. I'd rather do the CF louvers than tint it, but I know that few bucks more...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I JUST today finished wrapping the lower section to match the later cars.
I used 3M 2080 satin black vinyl wrap and 3M knifeless tape.
I've never used this stuff before and I screwed up several times before I got it right, or mostly right. I may actually re-do it since I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I JUST today finished wrapping the lower section to match the later cars.
I used 3M 2080 satin black vinyl wrap and 3M knifeless tape.
I've never used this stuff before and I screwed up several times before I got it right, or mostly right. I may actually re-do it since I'm a bit of a perfectionist.
Please post a picture!

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Grey
1,110 Posts
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle White

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

For tint on my car, I had 3M film applied. I did 55% on the door glass and 35% on the rear two side windows and the full rear window (legal limit in my state). As you can see, this doesn’t affect the outward visibility through the doors but does make the car look a bit darker overall. The engine cover is still very visible even with 35% on the glass. Also, I’ve had it applied for 5 years and have had no issues whatsoever with fading, shrinking, bubbles or pealing. It just looks great.

·
Registered
65 Posts
View attachment 1321779
View attachment 1321778

For tint on my car, I had 3M film applied. I did 55% on the door glass and 35% on the rear two side windows and the full rear window (legal limit in my state). As you can see, this doesn’t affect the outward visibility through the doors but does make the car look a bit darker overall. The engine cover is still very visible even with 35% on the glass. Also, I’ve had it applied for 5 years and have had no issues whatsoever with fading, shrinking, bubbles or pealing. It just looks great.
I have read that if you leave wrap on for more than 3-5 years, it may be difficult to remove. Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
What I learned after wasting 3 or 4 pieces of vinyl:
Clean area and wipe down with lint-free microfiber and rubbing alcohol. Even the smallest nick or imperfection in the PPF (assuming the area is already covered) will be magnified by the vinyl.

Cut to about 10" wide.
Start at the front of the car, have someone help you and peel back a foot or so of the backing.
Make sure it's lined up straight, assistant holds top and bottom of the vinyl with some backwards tension while you attach to the middle of the area you're wrapping and work out air bubbles and creases if they appear toward the top and bottom edges.

Make sure that the knifeless tape is started properly and that the monofilament is bisecting the tape.
Good demonstration of technique here:

·
Registered
380 Posts
What did you end up going with?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts