The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a replacement clam and figure I'll consider the BOE carbon fiber front clam. Are there any differences between the BOE carbon fiber front clam and the OEM Lotus front clam? I'm interested in the 2005 Elise Carbon Fiber Front Clam.

Thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
I've got both front and back for my 06 Elise. Drop me a PM and I'll give you my phone number and can give you details. I'm very happy with them, but I can give you complete details.

Corvus

·
Registered
639 Posts
Oh and almost forgot to mention...soooo much lighter and stiffer than the stock fiberglass. You can pick the front up with one hand!

Corvus

·
Registered
639 Posts
Only difference is that they shave the license plate plinth and can also fill in the front seam.
Both improvents if you ask me.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,082 Posts
Oh and almost forgot to mention...soooo much lighter and stiffer than the stock fiberglass. You can pick the front up with one hand!
In the process of installing these are well. EXTREMELY well made!

Very strong and insanely rigid.

All weights are without lights, heat shields or any hardware.

BOE CF front clam = 15.2 lbs. (stock is 27.2 lbs.)
BOE CF rear clam = 19.7 lbs. (stock is 36.3 lbs.)

Savings of 12.0 front + 16.6 rear = 28.6 lbs. :clap:

FYI - The stock rear heat shield is 8.2 lbs. so if you use a lighter alternative you could save another half-dozen pounds :)

Attachments

·
Registered
618 Posts
Ah...can I get one without indicators...be all over it. Need a clam anyway. Price? Is the weave good.enough to leave a few hints of carbon after paint? Thinking to leave an inch around headlights and the Rest graphite grey. Cheaper than a new one....I think

·
Registered
639 Posts
Price when I bought was $4000.00 for each clam. And yes, they can modify to suit your needs, although it would be worth a call to Phil to make sure. Definitely cheaper than a new stock clam and lighter/more rigid. A win/win in my book. Does require some drilling/shimming though.

Corvus

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about painting it? I just talked to my body shop and since carbon fiber weave is like a fabric, you'll have to prime the CF clam and sand it and repeat until it's smooth. Did you guys have to go through that process? If so, how labor intensive was it?

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
^ Painting CF is very labor intensive to get a consistently smooth finish. Cost can approach twice that of a non-CF job.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
wow, i didn't know they sold carbon clams. 30 lbs savings sounds great, but the $$$$$$. What's the damage for both, like 8k?!

·
purveyor of lightness
4,082 Posts
So I removed my stock rear clam (which was incredibly easy because I have a BOE ClamHinge) and set the new CF clam on - fitment is awesome! SAVED 16.6 lbs.

I really didn't want to drill out the rivets and reuse the stock heat shield (which happens to weigh 8.0 lbs.) so I ordered a sheet of Heatshield Products (#721305) shielding. It's a 36"x58" piece with adhesive backing. It took about 90 minutes with a Sharpie, scissors, ruler and x-acto knife to perform the layout and trimming. I think it looks fantastic. New weight is 2.0 lbs... SAVED 6.0 lbs.

I also reengineered the BOE brace that runs across the engine lid hinges for support. I used a 3/4" x 1/4" L bracket of aluminum with a couple extender plates. M5 rivnuts in the gusset. Very rigid. SAVED 0.65 lbs.

The CF rollbar cover was also a perfect fit SAVED 4.5 lbs.

I'm also going to create a gas strut engine lid support. The CF engine lid only weighs 3.8 lbs. (with the AeroCatch latch) so a 10 lb. strut will suffice. Estimated to only add 0.23 lbs. overall. Well worth it IMHO.

So my net weight savings (without paint of course) is 16.6 + 6.0 + 0.65 + 4.5 - 0.23 = 27.52 lb. savings.

Front to come soon :)

Attachments

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
What about painting it? I just talked to my body shop and since carbon fiber weave is like a fabric, you'll have to prime the CF clam and sand it and repeat until it's smooth. Did you guys have to go through that process? If so, how labor intensive was it?
You should find a new body shop. It doesn't sound like they know what they are talking about.

^ Painting CF is very labor intensive to get a consistently smooth finish. Cost can approach twice that of a non-CF job.
Not generally. Maybe you are talking about a prepreg layup that wasn't intended to be seen or painted.

For a wet lay up, carbon fiber can easily produce the same surface finish as fiberglass. I've made plenty of carbon parts with surface finishes identical to my fiberglass parts. The parts produced by BOE appear to have a gelcoat surface, in which case - barring radical shrinkage from bad resin choices - they will be as smooth as the mold.

Glen

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hey Glen,

Mine doesn't show the weave pattern due to the epoxy Phil puts on. I was just commenting I've seen some carbon fiber that they either put no epoxy coat on or maybe a very fine one and you can just barely see a pattern. I do understand it's a matter of the coats you put on. Like anything else its a matter of patience.

Corvus

·
purveyor of lightness
4,082 Posts
Finally making progress on the clam work at the body shop... ETA is mid-end of January... :)

Car should weigh in at 1644 lbs. empty, 1732 lbs. full (14.26 gallon tank) and 1746 lbs. with hardtop...

This will easily meet my (is it EVER final) weight goal of losing 100kg off of a stock car + hardtop:

1950 lbs. (LSS, no touring, full 10.6 gallon tank) + 26 lbs. (stock hardtop) = 1976 lbs. (896 kg)...

Take off 100kg = 796 kg. (1755 lbs.)

Can still drop 48 lbs. when I'm done but that's CRAZY... (CF doors + T45 wishbones + suspension uprights) and there's literally nothing else left after that...

:shift:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 168 Posts