61 - 80 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
:drool:

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,260 Posts
That is looking great! Time to get the whole thing wrapped in Xpel afterwards to preserve it.

Did you say they painted the base on and then cleared it the next day? Normally you want the clear on in the same session to have it chemically bond with the base. I am curious why they delayed the clear if I understood correctly.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,085 Posts
From my pinhole picture from 10 posts above: "Clams are FINALLY being base coated, colored, and cleared today!"

It all happened on the same day.

XPel-Pro is going on the entire front clam - they're going to have to modify the template a bit to kill the seam, plinth and flush lights... then it's ceramic pro time!

I've come to the conclusion that this thread has turned into my personal BOEClam build log... oh well >:)

Attachments

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,260 Posts
I admire your approach and dedication. Keep us posted on the Xpel finish. It may be worth driving down to get mine redone if they do it well.

Except the stock clam has the license plate and seams they would have to play with.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,085 Posts
Doors being reassembled and going on today...

Clams, fender liners, side panels, CF trim tomorrow...

Picking it up Thursday morning... :)

Windshield, surround, interior trim, headlights, signals, tails, splitter, diffuser, etc... all at home over the next three weeks!

(I have to wait at least 30 days after clear coat before Xpel Pro goes on!)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Wow, they did a really, really nice job of smoothing out the body. Looks better than OE.

The problem is that you'll be so worried about messing it up, you'll be scared to use it!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I am so in love with that color...the anticipation is intense!!!

·
purveyor of lightness
4,085 Posts
Ok so pickup either tomorrow or Saturday morning... the anticipation is killing me! :crazyeyes

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,578 Posts
I agree. Wonderful color choice.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,085 Posts
Looking good!

psst...your tires are backwards
I know - they've put them on and off several times over the past year. :nerd:

I'm also debating about my wheels now... I've had the TR-F1's for almost nine years and love them but now with this darker paint color attention seems to be drawn to them instead... aka they stick out a bit too much...

So... I'm considering getting a set of RAC Monolites and possibly painting them the same paint color as the car - I am NOT a fan of black wheels; the silver would be the same color and the gray is not really available/color match. Thoughts?

Yeah I know it would increase my car's weight by 4.8 lbs.) -eek-

·
purveyor of lightness
4,085 Posts
Ok it's confirmed for Saturday pickup!

Rollbar cover is not secured yet - so it's not flush (don't freak!)

Look at that awesome flush headlight/turn signal fitment! :clap:

Hmmm I might have to (LIGHTLY) tint the clear turn signals since they POP out a bunch visually...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
The car is looking REALLY good.

In terms of your wheels...tough call. I am not a fan of black, but I think if you did a center color silver lip or a black back paint and everything that can be faced in the front silver, it could look really good. Kind of like these wheels:

Attachments

·
purveyor of lightness
4,085 Posts
Ok I have a quandary. I’m considering the sacrilegious act of painting the CF rollbar cover - but masking off anything forward of the channel where the weatherstripping goes (so you still see CF along the front edge).

Just looks a bit clumsy and tacked on imho. It needs to look awesome without a roof, with the soft top AND with the poly hardtop installed.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
The car is fantastic! I do agree that that is too much CF for that area. I like the idea of leaving the CF at the front where the rubber gasket is. The back of the top has a small contour, what would it look like if you leave that area unpainted? Try a little photo shop and see/show us.

Later,
Eldon

·
purveyor of lightness
4,085 Posts
The back of the top has a small contour, what would it look like if you leave that area unpainted?
I photoshopped that and didn't like that "boomerang" strip of CF along the back. "Less is More" when it comes to this stuff... especially since the CF splitter, diffuser and side skirts aren't on the car yet... :DV:

That being said they ARE painting the rollbar cover today, leaving the gusset and front edge alone :cool: Too many colors/surfaces with the hardtop if I leave it unpainted.

I don't want folks eyes being stuck on an element that seems out of place. #congruencyFTW

Leaving the front edge unpainted will tie in with the rear bandit mask, letting everyone know (when it's topless) that the entire damn thing is made of CF :)

I brought the Visium poly hardtop in this morning for test fit/color check. I've had it since last November but it's never been on the car (since the car's been at the shop since LAST October) -eek-

Note: Excuse the fit - nothing is secured at this point...

Now if my CF windshield surround would hurry up and get here... :drool:

Attachments

61 - 80 of 168 Posts