The Lotus Cars Community banner

101 - 120 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
:drool:

I am tuned, raring, and sighted in. I really love the look of the car now. Its funny, with that color i think the OEM slatted grills look great on the car. But i have never been a fan of the plastic grills. Which makes me even more excited for what mine will look like with mesh. :D

·
purveyor of lightness
4,060 Posts
I just realized that the only exterior body parts on the car that AREN’T carbon are the doors, and the glued on side pieces under doors/side grills.

Can’t imagine the effort to move all the door stuff over and to get it working perfectly... so nopers!

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,237 Posts
The carbon grills really finish it off. 10x better than mesh, IMHO.

·
purveyor of lightness
4,060 Posts
This “make a template out of newspaper” thing is actually pretty daunting.

Only progress today except fetching my stock rear (speaker) panel from the basement and reinstalling it - it hasn't been on the car since 2008!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,290 Posts
One of my fav internet shows is "Project Binky".

(Transplanting a Celica 4WD drivetrain into an original Mini.)

Still laugh when I think of them explaining that at their shop, CAD means....

Cardboard Aided Design.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
The carbon grills really finish it off. 10x better than mesh, IMHO.
LOL...that what I get for not looking closer...and only on my phone. :facepalm

The Grills are Carbon!!!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
One of my fav internet shows is "Project Binky".

(Transplanting a Celica 4WD drivetrain into an original Mini.)

Still laugh when I think of them explaining that at their shop, CAD means....

Cardboard Aided Design.
I like that...I am going to teach it to my high schoolers as joke. :D

·
purveyor of lightness
4,060 Posts
LOL...that what I get for not looking closer...and only on my phone. :facepalm

The Grills are Carbon!!!
External bits...

Front grills, splitter, headlight enclosures, top radiator grills, side mirrors, side skirts, side intake grills, front of rollbar cover, gas door, rear diffuser, rear bandit mask - all exposed carbon

Front clam, access panels, fender panels, top/rear of rollbar cover, all of rear clam except bandit mask - all painted carbon

Windshield surround... one day!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Darksol-if you mount the grill to the diffuser and angle it towards the front of the car, will it clear the clam tilt?

·
purveyor of lightness
4,060 Posts
Darksol-if you mount the grill to the diffuser and angle it towards the front of the car, will it clear the clam tilt?
Chotto! Just like post #96 above... YES it does! (photos circa 2009)

Easy peasy - dual 1/8" aluminum extenders bent into L shapes and aluminum riveted to an arced aluminum bar that has the mesh wrapped/aluminum riveted around at the top.

The bottom has a couple of aluminum strips that has the mesh also into an L shape and secured to the diffuser.

Four holes for license plate with bolts.

The entire thing weighs less than 1.25 lbs. (without license plate/holder) and the diffuser load is distributed all the way across evenly.

No interference with the clam if it's arced to follow the underside clam curve... and it's fairly easy to tweak to perfection when the clam is raised! >:)

The hardest part is figuring out where to make the hole / how large for the exhaust tip... you also DON'T really want to tilt it too far back with hot exhaust right there on the bodywork...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
:up:

·
purveyor of lightness
4,060 Posts
Ok progress this week involves fabricating an aluminum panel that contains two license LED lights and a rear view camera - to use with the LCD dash...

It will bolt in and fill that open rectangular area in all 2005 rear clams... and then I'll run the video up to the front dash, the license LED power will connect to the running lights and the camera will power up when the reverse lights come on.

Total weight for the panel, all wiring, camera, lights and USB video convertor is 233 grams (8.22 oz) - well worth it IMHO...

Attachments

·
purveyor of lightness
4,060 Posts
In my previous incarnation I was wondering why I was scraping sometimes (especially my driveway)...

When I got my SA Penskes three years ago I set the ride height to 120mm (front) 125mm (rear) ala sports specifications... BUT that was with on a near empty tank and no ballast...

So since we're tiling our basement I have a couple of palettes of tile (75 lbs. per package) and grout (25 lbs. per bag) in the garage that I used that for ballast. Even better that I've removed the seats and will be installing full carpet tomorrow. Perfect timing.

Mid-laden weight according to Lotus is 165 lbs. in driver seat and 165 lbs. in passenger seat with a half tank of gas... So I loaded up the car +/- 15 lbs. and measured the LADEN corner heights... I had 108mm/105mm (front) 121mm/118mm (rear). Front splitter ground clearance was 86mm... Yeotch!

So I raised things the best I could (OMG what a PITA) and ended up with 132mm/133mm (front) 137mm/138mm (rear). A bit high but I'd rather not scrape until things get sorted with the RevX installation that's coming eventually...

I'm also been working on the rear challenge grill template... it's been a busy week!

Finally here's some pictures in the sun today - the purple pearl DOES come out in person...

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
purveyor of lightness
4,060 Posts
Update!

Lots of things done since last post...
  • Wheels refinished/ceramic coated and MUCH better new Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires mounted (205-45/16" front, 235-45/17" rear)
  • New GRP Lotus wheel badges. Old ones were 10 years old and were turning "Subaru Gold" in color. Also sanded and gloss black painted center cap bases
  • HKFever CF mudflaps installed (so they will work with side skirts). Used four M6 rivnuts per side with locking washers - didn't want rivets.
  • Garw digital LCD dash installed and working perfectly with iPhone WiFi app! Oil pressure/temp wires in place in the engine bay (just need sensors!)
  • Rear camera & LED license light plate installed so I don't back into things and munch my Reverie CF diffuser
  • Blood red GRP taillights installed (outsides modified for amber centers + inner red halo for turn signals). I LOVE this look!
  • Wired and relocated red security LED to where rear view mirror will be... right alongside the MVH-X560BT's Bluetooth microphone.
  • Filled empty space around speakers in CF dashboard with Styrofoam/Great Stuff foam (stuffed inside two bathroom trash bags). MUCH better bass and 90% less vibration!
Stay tuned!

Attachments

·
purveyor of lightness
4,060 Posts
More pictures!

• Clam up!
  • Reverse lights & tails
  • Brake lights & tails
  • Just brake lights... I think it's bright enough :)
  • Reverse camera - you can see bicycles eight feet behind the car! Edge of diffuser JUST shows up at the bottom edge of the screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
David that looks awesome!!!

So what light package did you get for the tails? Is that the setup that GRP is selling for about $400? How hard was it to seperate the lights and install the Cobb LED rings?

I was looking at doing this upgrade/mod to my car...and I think I am going to do the outside tails as my only running lights, but when I hit the brakes have all four light up, with cobb disc turns and reverse lights.

Going to have to play with this more next winter. :D engine first, body second, paint 3rd, final "easy" mods last. :D

·
purveyor of lightness
4,060 Posts

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Thanks!

Making progress slowly...
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl

Making progress slowly...My car hasn't been driven in almost 2 years, and will be driving in spring, but may be finished (if my summer goes the way I envision it) by next august...however most likely the following summer. :D

You are doing quite well for progress!!!

·
purveyor of lightness
4,060 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA rotfl rotfl rotfl rotfl

Making progress slowly...My car hasn't been driven in almost 2 years, and will be driving in spring, but may be finished (if my summer goes the way I envision it) by next august...however most likely the following summer. :D

You are doing quite well for progress!!!
I'm trying to get an "hour here and an hour there" each couple of days to sneak into the garage to be with my four-wheeled-mistress. (I have a To-Do spreadsheet!)

Having our basement flood back in July really screwed everything up. New tile floors/baseboards/paint and massive purging/reorganization. Last bit of painting was JUST completed.

Did I mention that we're hosting Thanksgiving here and I'm the cook/bartender? Entertaining and feeding 13 people! Hopefully that number is lucky for ME!

As for the Elise I wanted to at least drive a few family members "around the block" while they're here. (I'll blue painters tape my license plate to the rear window if I have to!)

Oh and last night my wife tells me that she wants to host a "work holiday party" on December 2nd. omfg.

Too. Many. Pokers. In. The. Fire. -eek- >:)

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I'm trying to get an "hour here and an hour there" each couple of days to sneak into the garage to be with my four-wheeled-mistress. (I have a To-Do spreadsheet!)

Having our basement flood back in July really screwed everything up. New tile floors/baseboards/paint and massive purging/reorganization. Last bit of painting was JUST completed.

Did I mention that we're hosting Thanksgiving here and I'm the cook/bartender? Entertaining and feeding 13 people! Hopefully that number is lucky for ME!

As for the Elise I wanted to at least drive a few family members "around the block" while they're here. (I'll blue painters tape my license plate to the rear window if I have to!)

Oh and last night my wife tells me that she wants to host a "work holiday party" on December 2nd. omfg.

Too. Many. Pokers. In. The. Fire. -eek- >:)
I can somewhat relate...the difference is that my pokers never come out, and my kids love their dad time. Makes for a challenge...if I am lucky, and my wife doesn't need attention, then I can generally break away at about 9pm at night, before my bed time of about 9:30. :D Makes it hard to get motivated when I can only get away for maybe 30 mins...if I am lucky.

Sounds like hosting is something she loves to do...or you are just to good of a cook for her not to want to host. :D

101 - 120 of 168 Posts