The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Exige
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My 06 Exige has a BOE Clam hinge. I have tried to tilt it up but it will not budge. I went to BOE's web sight and did all the steps they show to no avail. I did find two bolts that looked like they were holding it, they were in the cabin and looked like they went through the roll hoop to the clam shell so I removed them also.
Does anyone that has one of these installed have trouble getting it to tilt?

I have searched but can not find an answer.

Thanks

·
Administrator
1,798 Posts
Maybe look at their install procedure and reverse the end of it

Reactions: 06LE

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
@06LE There are several bolts that need to be removed in order to tilt the clam. There are two behind the seats. There are four in the boot on the floor; two on each side. There are two more in front of the fender wheels, one on each side. You will also have to remove the side scoops and the phillips screws that hold the rear inner tire liners. As @Catsailr27 said, look at the installation instructions because they will show the bolt locations in more detail.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Exige
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great thanks for the help guys. I got all the bolts except the ones at the tire liner. I will try agin.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I'm in the middle of a stalled hinge install (stalled in the meaning that I started and then my wife has other things for me to do so the car will be sitting for a few years). When I get back to it, is there a way to minimize the amount of fasteners needed to remove to tilt? It would be much more convenient to have 2-4 fasteners than 14.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I'm in the middle of a stalled hinge install (stalled in the meaning that I started and then my wife has other things for me to do so the car will be sitting for a few years). When I get back to it, is there a way to minimize the amount of fasteners needed to remove to tilt? It would be much more convenient to have 2-4 fasteners than 14.
First off, there are only 10 fasteners, and it is up to you how many you use. That said, I timed myself, and being in no rush, I undid the 10 fasteners, opened the clam, did a quick check of a hose, then closed and installed the 10 fasteners, 8 minutes, what else can I say. If you want to only put in 6 of them, you may save yourself 1 minute. 😆

Reactions: REKIII

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Ditch the thumb screws and go with button heads + electric screwdriver where it'll reach. I think the wheelwell screws will be the only ones you'll not be able to easily get to with an electric screwdriver.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Since we are on this topic, I have a question that I hope can be answered.
Does the factory harness bar need to be removed when installing the clam hinge?

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Mine does not have any screws in the boot. Here are my steps.
1. remove roof
2. Remove side scoops
3. Remove bolt that connects diffuser to clam.
4. remove hand bolts in rear wheel arch (2 on each side)
5. Remove hand bolts in cabin near roll hoop (there are 2)
6. Remove accordion thing that connects to intercooler (if you have 07 Exige and up)
7. Disconnect the lock latch where hatch locks to clam
And to tilt I usually ask my wife to help. She pulls up in area by roll hoop and I grab the area by license plate and pull up and in towards me.
I wish there was a faster way but it is what it is.

·
Premium Member
11,872 Posts
Clam Hinge

2/22/17

See this video:

Clam Hinge 2.0 – BOE Fabrication

Step 1:

Remove the two top support brackets from rear of cockpit.

Step 2: Remove the 4 thumb screws.

Don’t lose washers on top of roll bar cover

Metal
-------
Rubber
-------
Metal

Step 3: Disconnect HM brake light.

3 bolts thru bottom of boot, 2 or 3 in sides of panel from clam.

As I understand it from Andrew, the stock rear panel must be removed to tilt clam.

5 bolts at bottom, 8mm wrench. LOOSEN panel, but need to remove.

1 at right rear, @ extreme end = bolts to clam. (Left side broken.)

Do NOT allow windshield washer (removed to access cable) to get too low & caught underneath.

Tilt clam.

From Andrew’s 6/27/17 email

The cable should be looped over the bracket which holds your wiper fluid reservoir, and also looped over the sheetmetal weldment on the LH rollbar support, which acts as the top mounting location for the OEM coolant reservoir. When you pull the washer fluid reservoir up off the bracket to disconnect it from clam before tilting, you should see the cable hiding

The evap purge valve should be over by the gas filler, though it shouldn't be flopping around. The charcoal canister should be firmly mounted above the right rear wheel on a 1/4" thick aluminum bracket.

Absolutely, as you tilt the clam up and back, be sure that the cable is tethered to the rollbar support and the washer fluid mounting bracket, and stable, before letting go of the clam. The motion of bringing the clam up and back is important and deliberate. I suggest two people do it the first several times, so that you get accustomed to the feel of the clam coming "up" before it tilts" back". If you start tilting the clam without bringing it up first, it will cam under and have the completely wrong geometry.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Since we are on this topic, I have a question that I hope can be answered.
Does the factory harness bar need to be removed when installing the clam hinge?
You might have to remove it in order to get the plastic trim out of the way to get to the screws near the side grills that are accessed from near the rear speakers.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Exige
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I downloaded the install instructions and will look them over. When I tried to remove it I got the 4 in the boot, 2 on the roll hoop, removed the side scoops, 2 (1 on each side) Thumb screws inside were the scoops (there is a place for 2 on each side but mine only had one on each side). I guess I missed the phillips screws that hold the rear inner tire liners.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I downloaded the install instructions and will look them over. When I tried to remove it I got the 4 in the boot, 2 on the roll hoop, removed the side scoops, 2 (1 on each side) Thumb screws inside were the scoops (there is a place for 2 on each side but mine only had one on each side). I guess I missed the phillips screws that hold the rear inner tire liners.
If you're stock, there are also a few around the exhaust - namely one on each side where the diffuser bolts to the clam and then a few where license plate surround bolts to the diffuser (the plate and surround can come off with the clam).

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Exige
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you're stock, there are also a few around the exhaust - namely one on each side where the diffuser bolts to the clam and then a few where license plate surround bolts to the diffuser (the plate and surround can come off with the clam).
Its not stock. Someone said to use two people to lift it till you get use to it. This weekend when I try agin I am going to get my wife to help and see it that makes a difference.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
No offense but the combo of LOTUS letters and the Roundel is a bit much. I would pick one or the other. Not both. Again, didn’t mean to offend. Also sorry to be off topic.

Your setup looks similar to mine. You already have the BOE rear panel delete so that part doesn’t have to come off. Did you remove the bolts connecting the clam to the diffuser? I didn’t see you mention that part.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Exige
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No offense but the combo of LOTUS letters and the Roundel is a bit much. I would pick one or the other. Not both. Again, didn’t mean to offend. Also sorry to be off topic.

Your setup looks similar to mine. You already have the BOE rear panel delete so that part doesn’t have to come off. Did you remove the bolts connecting the clam to the diffuser? I didn’t see you mention that part.
No offense taken. I just got the car on Friday and am still trying to learn about the car as fast as I can.
The only thing I removed at the back are the 4 thumb bolts in the boot.
Sorry to be so ignorant when it comes to the Lotus but this is the first one I have owned. I have had to fix a few small things on it including the spring perch on one of the rear coil overs. I would like to get the clamshell up just to take a look around and see if there is anything that need attention.
I really appreciate everyones help.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
No offense taken. I just got the car on Friday and am still trying to learn about the car as fast as I can.
The only thing I removed at the back are the 4 thumb bolts in the boot.
Sorry to be so ignorant when it comes to the Lotus but this is the first one I have owned. I have had to fix a few small things on it including the spring perch on one of the rear coil overs. I would like to get the clamshell up just to take a look around and see if there is anything that need attention.
I really appreciate everyones help.
No need to apologize. There are two bolts that connect the rear diffuser to the clam (1 on each side). Those have to be removed to tilt the clam.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
@06LE Sorry I didn't mention the bolts/brackets from the diffuser to the clam. I removed mine a long time ago because I run a difflow diffuser and found all they were doing was putting stress on the clam and cracking it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts