The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have a 2005 Elise with the Penske NA coilovers. I see on BOEs website the recommend these dropped joints for lowered cars. I believe with the Penskes the car is lowered a little bit. Would you recommend these? I am trying to put together a full suspension / bushing refresh part list together so I am open to any suggestions including steering arms, linakages, whatever.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Grp sels the spitfire kits for rear toe link and front arm with bearing. as far as I'm aware, They are the only aftermarket that has a warranty on the bearings...

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
95 Posts
The Penske coilovers allow you
to set ride height wherever want.
If you want to set front ride height below
120mm you need the drop ball joints.

Reactions: jds62f

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Penske coilovers allow you
to set ride height wherever want.
If you want to set front ride height below
120mm you need the drop ball joints.
Forgive my ignorance but how would I determine what setting they are at or how much lower the car is than stock?

Thanks!

·
He's on fire!
3,261 Posts
You measure from ground to the foremost, rearmost frame rail. Hopefully it goes without saying, but you want to be on a flat, even, level surface with the suspension fully loaded.

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Actually, I believe Lotus specs the measuring points at the four jack points that are part of the main tub or center section.
Later,
Eldon

·
Administrator
1,552 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Steering arms first. You need camber for track. Stock arms can only get upto maybe -0.9 degrees unless you mill it.
I can't remember the exact figures anymore, but camber arms will give you around -2.5 at the front, which can then be shimmed back. If you're running slicks, then it's not uncommon to just start from there or try to get even more.
I don't think you'll need the drop links unless you go really low. And yes, as pointed out above, ride height is measured at jack points.

I recently did all my wishbone bushings. Got Nitron bearings, but haven't done much of driving on them due to Covid. Some of the wishbone bushings were knackered and my inner toe link was worn out, so it was a good time to do everything.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
When I did my suspension I followed Shinoo's recommendations and measured at front and mid jack points B and A. 123mm and 128mm respectively from the floor so I could clear speed bumps in my development.

Reactions: JasonB

·
Registered
248 Posts
Inokinetic says,
We measure ride height with a telescoping gauge. When measuring the gauge, use a digital micrometer if possible, as this is much more precise than a ruler. Above, you'll see a picture of the rear of the car, and as you can see, in this position it is very easy to access and not touch the car.

Being an old retired machinist, micrometer does not need to be digital.

·
Registered
51 Posts
With the BOE Dropped Joints my car was too low for normal use.

I have Nitron 3-way coilovers and the car was at ~80mm or lower when set to the highest possible position.
Also keep in mind that setting the car that low will cause the tires rub the fender liners and the Headlight housing.

Would recomment them only for a trailer-track car.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the BOE Dropped Joints my car was too low for normal use.

I have Nitron 3-way coilovers and the car was at ~80mm or lower when set to the highest possible position.
Also keep in mind that setting the car that low will cause the tires rub the fender liners and the Headlight housing.

Would recomment them only for a trailer-track car.

View attachment 1263076
This is great input, thank you. I will skip them for my 90% street, 10% track Elise. Thanks.

·
Vendor
3,272 Posts
Nitrons are shorter shocks which is the problem with stock-ish ride height. If you are just street driving, not necessary. Below 120mm in the front they are helpful.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
95 Posts
Your decision should be based only
on what you want your ride to be.
Drop ball joints do not lower your
car down to 80mm,that person had
Something else wrong.Your Penske
Coilovers have lot’s of adjustment.
ALWAYS measure front ride height
at the furthest point forward on the
Frame rail.This is about 10” in front
of jack point.NEVER measure at the
front jack point!!!

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Your decision should be based only
on what you want your ride to be.
Drop ball joints do not lower your
car down to 80mm,that person had
Something else wrong.Your Penske
Coilovers have lot’s of adjustment.
ALWAYS measure front ride height
at the furthest point forward on the
Frame rail.This is about 10” in front
of jack point.NEVER measure at the
front jack point!!!
I think you need to justify your measuring points since you are going against what Lotus recommends. Also, the numbers specified by Lotus are from these points. Therefore, moving the points would require adjusting the numbers, even if it is a mm or two. The adjustment would also be dependent on the amount of rake that is in the car.

Later,
Eldon

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
95 Posts
Yes changing the measuring point
In the front does change your
rake measurement.That is a good
thing! You want to be measuring as
close to wheel centerline as possible.
This gives you a more accurate
Measurement of that corner.I suppose
the jack point is recommended because
It’s easy to identify.If our front to back
Measuring points were say 4’ apart you would not really know where the ends
of your 12’ long car are. I run 112mm
ride ht. so I need to be accurate.
Otherwise I could break my splitter
When I drive the street.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
95 Posts
You don’t need any digital equipment
To accurately measure ride height.
Here is a picture of what I use.You
Put this under car slide the ruler up
until it hits frame.The distance the
ruler is above the 4” block = ride ht.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
95 Posts
Sorry pic didn't post
IMG_4478.jpeg

Reactions: forkmeupscotty

·
Vendor
3,272 Posts
FWIW, I agree with HvyMtl and EldonZ. The factory points are a "common language" for everyone to discuss. Measure elsewhere if you wish, but no one will know what you are talking about! :). However, it can make sense to reference your measurements elsewhere. I measure my XP car across the rear subframe down to my jack platform(which is below wheel height). It is easy for me to get to and measure from, but my 182mm measurments will have everyone scratching their head if I talk about them here!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts