The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
How I took it, and perhaps incorrectly, is that the line coming up prior to the Y is coming from the exhaust valve. Where you disconnected the vacuum line off the supercharger leading to the intake vacuum pod, you should reconnect the line coming up from the exhaust valve directly to that nipple on the SC. The rest of the Y can be removed.

The instructions on this part are very poor (well, the instructions overall were poor). So I may have understood it incorrectly. The overall fit of the unit seems a bit off as well, as the total size of the entire assembled intake seems to be about 1.5-2" too long, so the soft intake duct at the front is squished up against the "firewall"/whatever module is installed on the back of it right there. I had to work at that for quite a long time to try to get it to be a reasonably "open" path.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
589 Posts
I don't own a SC car, but if you have the solenoid, the vac line would go from the SC to the solenoid to the exhaust valve.

Someone had posted here they T'd in a vacuum ball (because the stock airbox acted as one) and it worked better?

If you don't have a valved exhaust you just plug the port on the SC.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How I took it, and perhaps incorrectly, is that the line coming up prior to the Y is coming from the exhaust valve. Where you disconnected the vacuum line off the supercharger leading to the intake vacuum pod, you should reconnect the line coming up from the exhaust valve directly to that nipple on the SC. The rest of the Y can be removed.

The instructions on this part are very poor (well, the instructions overall were poor). So I may have understood it incorrectly. The overall fit of the unit seems a bit off as well, as the total size of the entire assembled intake seems to be about 1.5-2" too long, so the soft intake duct at the front is squished up against the "firewall"/whatever module is installed on the back of it right there. I had to work at that for quite a long time to try to get it to be a reasonably "open" path.
Ok this makes sense, and I experienced the exact same issue with the entire assembly being too long. I really had to work at getting the intake in and agree that we need at least 1.5" clearance to fit properly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't own a SC car, but if you have the solenoid, the vac line would go from the SC to the solenoid to the exhaust valve.

Someone had posted here they T'd in a vacuum ball (because the stock airbox acted as one) and it worked better?

If you don't have a valved exhaust you just plug the port on the SC.
So the instructions made it seem like the solenoid is not used at all anymore... If we are supposed to use the solenoid for the supercharged cars, which nipple on the solenoid done use, Top or bottom?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've called and emailed BOE multiple times even left a message with the lady that answered and I haven't heard anything back. Was wanting to talk to BOE about getting them to do headers and exhaust but I can't seem to talk to anyone up there ?‍♂

·
Registered
597 Posts
No offense, but it's not complicated. If you're not at all technically minded, then skim through that other thread like John suggested and just do what someone else found to work. On the other hand, if you know what these parts are, then it sure isn't hard to figure out. Even a trial-and-error approach won't take long. "I've called and emailed multiple times..." but you could have figured this out yourself by now.

IMHO you either need to know what you're doing before you get in there, or you need to do the research. Hoping someone will pop up here to do the homework for you, and complaining that a race shop doesn't drop everything to walk you through this simple process, are two bad choices. The answer is staring you in the face.

I mean this respectfully and I think you will get more satisfaction, as well as a better understanding of your car and its systems, if you engage yourself a bit more in tasks like these.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well, thank you for taking the time to provide absolutely no help at all, despite it being not complicated.

The instructions from BOE are

"Note: if your car is equipped with a factory exhaust diverter
pod, you will have a second VSV which opens and closes the
stream of vacuum to the pod. You need to preserve that circuit,
so take note of which port receives engine vacuum and connect it
directly to the intake manifold nipple"

You can imagine how that leads to some ambiguity, and also the thread in question most people suggest that either they have removed their valved exhaust so just cap the nipple, or that they just capped the nipple anyhow. Which of course if you want to follow BOE's instructions, is not correct.

As I posted above, and as the OP said, based on what BOE says here, there is a second solenoid for the exhaust. My understanding is the vac line coming up from that solenoid is what is feeding into the Y pictured, and based on BOE's instructions means that should be connected to the vacuum nipple on the supercharger (in lieu of the intake manifold for S cars) to preserve the exhaust valve function. However, I was not able to locate or verify this second solenoid for the exhaust. Yes, I could have lifted the car up and taken the undertrays off and tracked this down.

It's not unreasonable to expect decent instructions for what is not a cheap product. It's even less unreasonable to expect fellow forum members to not be dickheads about it and instead provide helpful insight. That's kind of the whole reason we're here.

·
Registered
597 Posts
It's even less unreasonable to expect fellow forum members to not be dickheads about it and instead provide helpful insight.
:confused: I'm not sure why my post needed such a juvenile and nasty response from you. As I said, I intended my post respectfully.

Edit: and if those are the instructions BOE provides, then there really should be no confusion at all. Again, assuming one is willing to take the time to look at the parts in question and, if necessary, the shop manual or the forum. Or just take a guess, plug the thing in, and turn the key.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
When I installed my BOE CAI, I had a straight pipe so I did not need the valve to work. I capped off the various lines. But, these pics give an idea where the lower valve is located. It's below the rigid heat shield mounted on a crossbeam.

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
:confused: I'm not sure why my post needed such a juvenile and nasty response from you. As I said, I intended my post respectfully.
You mean like writing 3 paragraphs of a response, providing absolutely no help, but going out of your way to insult the people asking the question? Then writing a second post, still providing absolutely no assistance, but insulting everyone AGAIN?

To use your own words, "there really should be no confusion at all"

If you want to answer a question or provide a link to a post where it's already answered, that's great. If you just want to post to express your disdain for the person asking the question, with no intention of actually helping them, then keep it to yourself.

When I installed my BOE CAI, I had a straight pipe so I did not need the valve to work. I capped off the various lines. But, these pics give an idea where the lower valve is located. It's below the rigid heat shield mounted on a crossbeam.
Based on that, I would presume that what I suggested before is correct. That vacuum line going down to that second solenoid should be connected to the SC vacuum nipple, and the rest of the Y is unnecessary, and the upper solenoid is no longer used.

My guess beyond that is it won't work quite right, as the port off the SC will not always provide vacuum, and that's the purpose on the vacuum pod on the stock airbox, so that when the SC goes into positive pressure vacuum is retained for function of the valve, which is why people were discussing adding a vacuum pod in-line to function correctly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No offense, but it's not complicated. If you're not at all technically minded, then skim through that other thread like John suggested and just do what someone else found to work. On the other hand, if you know what these parts are, then it sure isn't hard to figure out. Even a trial-and-error approach won't take long. "I've called and emailed multiple times..." but you could have figured this out yourself by now.

IMHO you either need to know what you're doing before you get in there, or you need to do the research. Hoping someone will pop up here to do the homework for you, and complaining that a race shop doesn't drop everything to walk you through this simple process, are two bad choices. The answer is staring you in the face.

I mean this respectfully and I think you will get more satisfaction, as well as a better understanding of your car and its systems, if you engage yourself a bit more in tasks like these.
Wow! Why go out of your way to make me feel like an idiot??

I'm asking so I don't screw anything up and damage my $60k car that I just bought last week. I'm not going to use "trial and error" and just plug stuff in "to see if it works". That's the most backwards logic you could offer to someone. I understand this is a Toyota powerplant but the electronics are Lotus and I don't have a dealer anywhere near me if I do end up screwing something up.

Furthermore, I'm not expecting BOE to drop everything... I have been calling them and emailing them for over a week. I spoke with a lady at BOE and she said she would have Andrew reach out when he got back from lunch... Andrew never called. I run multiple businesses and realize that things can get hectic, I'm just expecting a little help from the manufacturer of the part since the directions are quite vague and the fit was not the best either; hence asking them for help. At $500 we aren't talking about an extremely cheap part, so I would think customer service is part of the price?? Since I haven't heard back from BOE, the next logical step in my mind was to reach out to fellow owners on the forum. Of course there is always a troll lurking around waiting to jump on someone asking "dumb" questions.

People like you are the reason people like me don't want to reach out for help on forums.

·
Registered
597 Posts

Of course there is always a troll lurking around waiting to jump on someone asking "dumb" questions.

People like you are the reason people like me don't want to reach out for help on forums.

With all due respect, I did not say it was a dumb question, and I did not call you an idiot.

You said (paraphrase), I know the answer I need is on that other thread, but I don't want to read the whole thing, so could someone summarize it for me? This, to me, is not at all in keeping with the spirit of the forum.

"People like me" are happy to help, if it looks like you made even the slightest attempt to help yourself. You can look at my posts here going back ten years for confirmation of that.

·
Registered
824 Posts
You're now 3 posts in, with all 3 posts providing no useful information, and all 3 insulting the other posters in this thread.

The answer is not in the other thread, or I'd have referenced it.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Based on that, I would presume that what I suggested before is correct. That vacuum line going down to that second solenoid should be connected to the SC vacuum nipple, and the rest of the Y is unnecessary, and the upper solenoid is no longer used.

My guess beyond that is it won't work quite right, as the port off the SC will not always provide vacuum, and that's the purpose on the vacuum pod on the stock airbox, so that when the SC goes into positive pressure vacuum is retained for function of the valve, which is why people were discussing adding a vacuum pod in-line to function correctly.
Disregarding all the rest of the crap in this thread... -eek-...... I believe you are correct, as this was my understanding of it also. :grin2:

I think @Julian73 may have had his set up that way before additional changes to his exhaust and could probably give some feedback ???? :shrug:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Of course there is always a troll lurking around waiting to jump on someone asking "dumb" questions.

With all due respect, I did not say it was a dumb question, and I did not call you an idiot.

You said (paraphrase), I know the answer I need is on that other thread, but I don't want to read the whole thing, so could someone summarize it for me? This, to me, is not at all in keeping with the spirit of the forum.

"People like me" are happy to help, if it looks like you made even the slightest attempt to help yourself. You can look at my posts here going back ten years for confirmation of that.
Maybe you should take the time to read the thread that you are referring to... The answer is NOT in that thread and I wasn't asking someone to paraphrase it for me ?‍♂

Nothing even slightly constructive in any of your posts to me...

Enjoy your day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts