The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'05 Lotus Elise Outlaw
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone able to get reasonable support from these guys on the Koldfire Cable?

I purchased the cable nearly a year ago and am just getting to use it. After downloading their latest firmware (as the initial software had expired) there are still errors.

Cheers,
Keith

·
Registered
'05 Lotus Elise Outlaw
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man, I missed that thread. Seems expensive to give up on... Did they issue a refund? I have the smaller pulley with a Katana 2 tune right now.

Are you planning to get another tune?

·
Vendor
6,310 Posts
Hold the phone here...

<@¿@> did not do business or tuning with BOE. He contacted and worked directly with Luke in Germany. Luke and BOE are two very separate entities. What went on with <@¿@> and Luke is not "giving up on them" if them includes BOE...

khoerling, Kold-fire has the same software designer and program that Luke uses and Komo-tec. The author of that software forces it to expire from time to time to ensure everyone is running the latest updates. I typically update the software on our website within 24 hours of the new release date. That software uses the same VIN writing procedure as the Lotus Tech Center. The Lotus tech center has the same VIN error on certain VINs last I checked. We own a tech center and I checked last for this error this past Friday. Still there after all the latest updates. Point is that it's not the world's easiest error to fix obviously. Nothing about software programming is-- let alone hacking the ECU or reverse engineering it.

1+ years ago when you purchased your KF cable, Kold-fire was still the premier software and the only option that interfaced with the ECU via the OBD2 port among other features that most of our little Lotus community has not had access to. To this day, the BOE Fastworks software has taken the lead with completing the hacking process while retaining an OBD2 interface--- nobody else has spent the money or time to bring user OBD2 Lotus ECU interfaces to your laptop as we have--- and I doubt anyone else will either. We're very passionate about furthering the development of the S2 111 and will continue to do so:up:

You have to imagine that there's going to be some slight issues here or there with software like this. It's a small market with even fewer people developing parts/software for it. Kold-fire was the best thing at the time and had a few issues with the interface in additiont to more hacking development to be done in the ECU-- Fastworks is now the superior product, as it completes the circle for controlling the ECU and retains the OBD2 interface. BOTH of them are far more complete than the other flash/tune options on the market at the time and currently today. It's hard to get frustrated with that!

-Phil

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
fwiw - i am about to fire up my Koldfire tuned REV400 Elise for the first time this year.. Historically, I have had no problems, and i don't anticipate any in the future. If I do experience difficulties,, as a BOE customer, i can call Phil - and we'll freakin' fix it. No doubt in my mind. Maybe one day i will justify the cash for the Fastworks tune/cable, but i'm not having problems here. Maybe i have to download a new executable file off the BOE site, maybe not. I'll find out pretty soon - but if i do , it certainly is no hardship.

·
Registered
'05 Lotus Elise Outlaw
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all of that; I'm a software engineer, too. My post was in hopes of getting this tune that I paid for working. We followed the steps to download the latest tune and were still seeing, "no vehicle coded yet" and "driver and/or library vendor too old."

Any advice?

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Hold the phone here...

<@¿@> did not do business or tuning with BOE. He contacted and worked directly with Luke in Germany. Luke and BOE are two very separate entities. What went on with <@¿@> and Luke is not "giving up on them" if them includes BOE...

khoerling, Kold-fire has the same software designer and program that Luke uses and Komo-tec. The author of that software forces it to expire from time to time to ensure everyone is running the latest updates. I typically update the software on our website within 24 hours of the new release date. That software uses the same VIN writing procedure as the Lotus Tech Center. The Lotus tech center has the same VIN error on certain VINs last I checked. We own a tech center and I checked last for this error this past Friday. Still there after all the latest updates. Point is that it's not the world's easiest error to fix obviously. Nothing about software programming is-- let alone hacking the ECU or reverse engineering it.

1+ years ago when you purchased your KF cable, Kold-fire was still the premier software and the only option that interfaced with the ECU via the OBD2 port among other features that most of our little Lotus community has not had access to. To this day, the BOE Fastworks software has taken the lead with completing the hacking process while retaining an OBD2 interface--- nobody else has spent the money or time to bring user OBD2 Lotus ECU interfaces to your laptop as we have--- and I doubt anyone else will either. We're very passionate about furthering the development of the S2 111 and will continue to do so:up:

You have to imagine that there's going to be some slight issues here or there with software like this. It's a small market with even fewer people developing parts/software for it. Kold-fire was the best thing at the time and had a few issues with the interface in additiont to more hacking development to be done in the ECU-- Fastworks is now the superior product, as it completes the circle for controlling the ECU and retains the OBD2 interface. BOTH of them are far more complete than the other flash/tune options on the market at the time and currently today. It's hard to get frustrated with that!

-Phil
Well, the plan is for BOE to bail me out...I still have hopes. That has not happened yet... Hey Phil, got the black dash tune done yet? -poke-

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just my 2cents, I live on an other part of the world as you guys. I have a REV300 kit from BOE with no problems till date. When I have a question, I always get an answer. They are always willing to help me, even late at night!! Just be patient, they are not sitting next to the phone or their computer all the time so give it time :).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.