The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Thanks.
I am trying to figure out whether a valve is "a reasonable low budget solution, not as good as a bias cage" or just "not a good idea".
Looks like it is the former.
It is "Not a good idea". The Lotus cannot generate enough rear brake bias so adding the proportioning valve to the rear is useless. The only way to get the valve to work would be to increase the rear brake bias to the point that you had too much. If you keep the stock brake master, the only way to accomplish this would be to install larger calipers on the rear. You would not want to install the valve in the front brake line.

Later,
Eldon

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think you may have misread my original question, or I didn't make myself clear.
The question was:
Can someone explain why proportioning valves are not a good solution for braking bias when running front calipers on 4 corners?

·
Vendor
3,163 Posts
I think you may have misread my original question, or I didn't make myself clear.
The question was:
Hi Art,

Prop valves have a hysteresis via the cracking pressure and can be somewhat non-linear. I toyed with this on my car for a while before ultimately decided to just do it correctly. Maybe it will work great, but the theory says you will be leaving some performance on the table. My $0.02

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I am in the middle of installing the BOE cage and removing my ABS (2007 Exige S with AP racing 2-pots all four corners).

I'd be interested in what folks did with their ABS unit. I understand that I need to keep the computer in place for the wheel speed pass-through (speedo) but am not decided on how much to rip out and where to secure the remainings bits.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I am in the middle of installing the BOE cage and removing my ABS (2007 Exige S with AP racing 2-pots all four corners).

I'd be interested in what folks did with their ABS unit. I understand that I need to keep the computer in place for the wheel speed pass-through (speedo) but am not decided on how much to rip out and where to secure the remainings bits.

Thanks!
Remove the electronics from the valving and reinstall it in the car. Place the unit to the right, towards the passenger side, of the brake cylinders and down. There should be enough room there. You can also wrap a little foam around it to give it some cushion.

Later,
Eldon

41 - 47 of 47 Posts