The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BOE Oil Cooler/Setrab mounting brackets look like this...

in case anyone else needed a starting point for their cooler relocation. This pertains to BOE's mounting of a Setrab cooler in my engine bay, by the drivers side scoop/slats.. Just FYI if it helps.
There are two mounting brackets. One is attached high on the cooler, inboard, the second is attached to the cooler at the bottom, outboard by the edge/intake slat. I think the pics are pretty good should be self explanatory - it's really a solid mount in this config, as it should be. The low outboard bracket has a little tab/90 degree bend at the bottom and the bracket/tab is bolted through the cooler mounting hole for attachment. That bracket comes straight up the wall to where Phil drilled a hole in the side of the body and used a reinforcing plate on the outside of the wall to attach an allen head bolt through the body wall.(flush tapered head, does not protrude beyond the plate.) Notice there is a little tiny "tweak bend" at the top to bring it in to the body wall properly. On second thought, that bend might be a result of tightning the bolt down and torquing it.
The inboard bottom attachment point is actually bolted to or through the aluminum subframe/chassis, slightly complicated bend in this bracket, and angled up to the top of the cooler, where it gets bolted to the top cooler mounting hole . A clam off job, but a great opportunity to install that BOE clam hinge or Radium kit while you're in there. Hope i didn't screw up the description too bad.

Attachments

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
more..of course like an idiot i shot all the pics BEFORE cleaning the engine bay.

Attachments

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the big picture - where Phil puts it. If you look closely - you can get a feel for the degree of bend you need to get the inboard bracket to mount over the chassis. 3 bends in that bracket.

Attachments

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the bigger bigger picture - the first time in my shop popping the clam up by myself, rather than the 2 person, safe, wimpy method. Yes - i finally put on my big boy pants. It just occurred to me that all these pics are in reverse order. Oh well. The liquid on the floor is runoff from the bath she just took.

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Did Phil provide you with the brackets as well? I too wanted to put this in the drivers side vent but since I have an Exige, it might be a little more tight in that area for me.

My problem is that I want to run the 3-way cooling shroud from RLS & this would compromise/conflict with mounting the oil cooler in that area.

I do have a substiffy installed & was thinking if I should install it where the transcooler mounts are provided? I believe there are 3 NACA ducts fairy close to that area that should provide for fresh air...

Thoughts?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm Exige ignorant ( fairly Elise ignorant too :)), so this is what little I know. Phil installed the cooler at BOE, he makes the brackets as one off's at the moment. His concern regarding installation was primarilly about adequate fresh cooling air being allowed to enter and then exit the engine bay as we were also installing the REV w/ the ducted aftercooler fans at the same time, in addition to the oil cooler relocation. To that end he admonished me - "no grills on the side scoops, and naked rear end is best." Additionally he modified the wheel liner (pics in my BOE build thread - forced induction) where he cut out sections of the liner . and meshed over them on the oil cooler/driver's side to allow more airflow in that area which is also shared by the rather large ITG intake. So if your Exige is supercharged, your engine bay might be getting a little warm already and more so with the oil cooler installed. Unqualified to say for sure, but the NACA ducts sound a little bit shy of what you would want in terms of volumetric airflow for optimum cooling.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Im going to try & get the clam off, sit down & have a long look at things. Will try to get ahold of Phil again once I buy the kit to see what he can recommend.

Before I jump into all this, I want to get a tilting clam for the Exige - Im sure yours have made for all projects back there much easier!

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Love the hinge. BOE clam hinge is where it's at imo. Radium kit is good too, but you need two people to remove, and a place for the clam. The Radium kit does totally remove the clam, which i believe is also relatively easy with the clam hinge (unbolt the hinge from the clam) if you needed that much room. Pull the clam, do the rear cooler, replace clam w/ BOE hinge or Radium kit. That could work. Radium doesn't make a kit for the exige, didn't ask Phil if the hinge is Exigeable, but if anyone has the solution, I'm betting it's Phil & Andrew.

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
Our clamhinge has been installed many exiges. Not sure if it's many of dozens, but at least a dozen out of the hundreds out there...

On the exiges that lack ducting to the roof scoop, it's really no hill too big for stepper... Just fashion a quick release for the boot cable or install an aero latch in place of boot latch. NCI makes special BOE clamhinge side scoop mounts or you can just remove them before tilt... Whatever floats your boat. Bottom line, Exige is doable:up:

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i've got to go drive mine now..:)

·
Such Administrating
6,894 Posts
hmm, I'm debating doing this seeing how I've been reading over all the intake cam failures today. I'd like to do everything I can to help prevent that. Do you know if they just cut the oem lines and attached the fitting? Where did you get the cooler?

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BOE. Did it all with new lines/connectors. Still have my originals installed, planning on extricating them this winter when the front clam comes off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts