The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone here using this?

Seems like a good idea to me but I would like to hear some feedback from people that have used it before I buy one. How is the fit and finish compared to stock, ease of installation, do you notice any odd side effects with it (noise/rattles, poor water drainage, ground clearance problems, etc.)? Are you seeing lower measured coolant or oil temps when the car is sitting still at idle as well as in motion? Also, please mention if you have the stock glass bootlid or an aftermarket (louvered) type. Any feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Previous '12S, manual, stock rear lid; current "17 400 manual, stock rear lid.......fit, finish, removal/installation equal........no difference in noise/rattles, water drainage or ground clearance problems....cannot compare coolant or oil temps......
I know the BOE 400 tray is slightly different from the factory tray, but hope this is useful to some extent.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Previous '12S, manual, stock rear lid; current "17 400 manual, stock rear lid.......fit, finish, removal/installation equal........no difference in noise/rattles, water drainage or ground clearance problems....cannot compare coolant or oil temps......
I know the BOE 400 tray is slightly different from the factory tray, but hope this is useful to some extent.
That is helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
617 Posts
I don't have the boe tray, I put a 400 tray on my 2011. The way I looked at it was having the added cooling can't be a bad thing. As for their fitment I'd imagine it would be fine as they have put together some other products very well.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I assume it is made out of aluminum but the pictures kind of make it looks like galvanized steel. Can you guys confirm that it is aluminum?

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
The louvers are the answer.

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
114 Posts
I assume it is made out of aluminum but the pictures kind of make it looks like galvanized steel. Can you guys confirm that it is aluminum?
The description notes the finish is anodized. That would mean it's indeed aluminum.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The description notes the finish is anodized. That would mean it's indeed aluminum.
Yeah, I saw that and that was my assumption as well based on it being anodized. Just didn't see a material called out anywhere else in the description. It almost looks like galvanized steel in a couple of the pictures but maybe it's just the lighting or it was a prototype or something.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
I know some folks like the stock glass but realize that is a blatant design flaw when one considers the cooling issues aka heat soak these vehicles experience. That is a reason the Elise never had such issues.. You could put a shovel angled downward under the Evora and not extract heat like the louvers now do. I f the air has no place to exit, pumping more in has minimal returns unless you give the air a place to exit.

Reactions: m3sen and mattjk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Received my undertray from BOE last week and installed it over the weekend. These are my initial thoughts.

The build quality and finish is very good. The anodizing matches the rest of the stock underpanels and has a very OE look to it. The stiffeners and kick-up scoops are riveted and bonded nicely. The captive bolts/spacers is a great idea. No issues with ground clearance and I have a pretty steep curb at the end of my driveway.

Initial fitment to the car was...not great. The two bolts circled in yellow were very difficult to get lined up with the corresponding rivnuts on the subframe, almost like those two holes were too close together. I would get one lined up and then the other would be at a slight angle and want to crossthread. I finally managed to get them both lined up, but I will probably widen those two holes slightly the next time I remove it to make future installation easier. I mentioned it to BOE and they said they have not had any reports of this so far, so maybe my car is just at the far end of the tolerances. I also needed to pull the leading edge (see pic) out just slightly to get that row of holes to line up with the car. Easily done by hand. At any rate, not a huge deal, but I was expecting a 15 min job, which turned into an hour.

Also, just a note to anyone else doing this, there are two air deflectors that need to be removed before installing this or there will be a hard interference with the kick up scoops on the new undertray. The kick up scoops on the new undertray essentially replace these. They were easy to remove though, just two 10mm bolts each and unclip the O2 sensor wire from one of them.

Probably going to be difficult to get any useful (aka equal comparison) before/after temp data from this but the way I see it, it can't hurt to have a 400 style undertray. I'm all about preventative maintenance and small mods that improve the reliability of a car.

IMAG7811.jpg IMAG7812.jpg IMAG7813.jpg IMAG7814.jpg IMAG7818.jpg IMAG7819.jpg IMAG7821.jpg IMAG7823.jpg IMAG7828.jpg

·
Registered
196 Posts
I got my tray earlier this week (ordered via GRP) and it did come with one corner bent upwards by our friends at Fedex. I was able to flat it back out without much hassle. See what happens when it comes to fitting it on the car this weekend.

The overall panel + hardware is only weighs a little bit more than the original panel + hardware as well if you're into the weight game.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Update: Installed my tray and was pretty straight forward. The air channels on my car were riveted on instead of bolts so that took a little bit longer to remove but came off fine.

For the most part the bolts lined up, I just had a little trouble with the middle bolts on the side needing a little more force to thread.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice! (y) Good to hear that you didn't have too much trouble.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
It's been a couple of months now, have you guys noticed an improvement in engine temps or AIT temps? Would you recommend this? I'm interested in this solution cause I want to keep the rear glass

·
Registered
196 Posts
It's been a couple of months now, have you guys noticed an improvement in engine temps or AIT temps? Would you recommend this? I'm interested in this solution cause I want to keep the rear glass
I've only driven mine a few miles around the neighborhood but in 90+ heat the car hasn't gone over the mid point in the temp gauge at all. I haven't measured temps otherwise to say if there has been an improvement though.

All in all I'd say it's a worthy mod for the price and effort to add to the car.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
447 Posts
I too really like the engine hatch glass. The engine and the supercharger cover are works of art and I like them being "on display".

However, I also definitely share the concern about heat soak. When I get home from a drive I leave the engine hatch open for 15-20 minutes to allow the heat to dissipate. The amount of heat coming off the engine is remarkable, and with the undertray (not found on "typical" cars) the passive circulation while the car is motionless is quite small. Leaving the engine hatch open isn't an option when stopped at some intermediate destination though (like lunch or dinner somewhere), which bothers me a bit especially on the 90F+ days we've been enjoying this summer.

BTW, I also leave our wakeboat's engine hatch open when docking it, while I'm securing its lines and unloading wet gear and so forth. A boat engine has it even worse than the Evora... a V8 that runs under heavy load 100% of the time which is completely enclosed with zero passive air circulation when docked. I've felt substantial residual heat in that engine compartment the next morning a few times.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To be honest it's hard to say for sure. I haven't been logging temp data, nor was I doing so before I installed it. Would need to have logged data on days with same weather conditions as well. I can't imagine it's not helping though. Also, I'm with Friss in that I haven't seen the temp gauge go over halfway either and we have had a lot of humid 90 deg days here this summer.

I too really like the engine hatch glass. The engine and the supercharger cover are works of art and I like them being "on display".

However, I also definitely share the concern about heat soak. When I get home from a drive I leave the engine hatch open for 15-20 minutes to allow the heat to dissipate. The amount of heat coming off the engine is remarkable, and with the undertray (not found on "typical" cars) the passive circulation while the car is motionless is quite small. Leaving the engine hatch open isn't an option when stopped at some intermediate destination though (like lunch or dinner somewhere), which bothers me a bit especially on the 90F+ days we've been enjoying this summer.

BTW, I also leave our wakeboat's engine hatch open when docking it, while I'm securing its lines and unloading wet gear and so forth. A boat engine has it even worse than the Evora... a V8 that runs under heavy load 100% of the time which is completely enclosed with zero passive air circulation when docked. I've felt substantial residual heat in that engine compartment the next morning a few times.
Yeah, I really wasn't interested in getting rid of the glass hatch. I didn't want to start a debate but to me it just looks better and it does provide some valuable rearward visibility. I'm sure a louvered hatch would help even more but it's not like there are no openings at all for the air to get out. I try to open my hatch for a few minutes when I get home as well.

·
Illegal Alien
5,145 Posts
Yeah, I really wasn't interested in getting rid of the glass hatch. I didn't want to start a debate but to me it just looks better and it does provide some valuable rearward visibility. I'm sure a louvered hatch would help even more but it's not like there are no openings at all for the air to get out. I try to open my hatch for a few minutes when I get home as well.
Ive owned both hatch types side by side, both have obvious positives and negatives such as on ... ventilation, weight, visibility, engine bay access (duck tail stay in middle vs cylinders on edges), esthetics (carbon weave vs buttoned up style). No debate from me, consider your personal needs.

·
Registered
2020 Evora GT in Formula Red, coordinated black+red interior, windowed engine hatch
447 Posts
Another consideration, albeit minor, is that rain/washwater could get through the louvers and douse the engine. What do folks with louvers do when they wash the car? Even if you're super careful it seems like you'd get at least some soapy water, and then rinse water, through there no matter how careful you were. Maybe it doesn't matter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts