The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m looking for some help with the install on my REV400. I bought this used REV400 kit from @wirewheel.

The trouble is that when I install the S/C and bolt it flush with the intake, the alternator will not swing into position before hitting the S/C snout. It’s as if the snout bracket is about 0.5” too short. Sorry for the terrible photo, I should have taken a straight on photo, but you can kind of see this in the attached photo. Alternator misalignment.jpg

You can see the snout bracket that came with my kit in the last photo of the for sale post (linked above), as well as a photo below. I have an older version of the BOE install instructions that shows this style bracket, so I’m pretty sure it’s actually a BOE part, and not a custom piece.

If you check out the snout bracket that is currently shown on BOE’s website, it is a straight design. I’m starting to think that they changed bracket designs to reduce cost, or they have different bracket designs for different years of car. BOE Brackets.jpg

Taking it a step farther, a friend with an installed kit took some rough measurements of his straight bracket and we compared them to mine. If we label the three holes from left to right, as A, B, and C, here’s what we found. For my bracket the B-C distance is about 3.75”. His is closer to 4 or 4-1/8” (difficult to tell when installed in the car). Now, remember that my bracket angles down, and his is straight, so maybe that’s the reason they are different lengths. Overall Bracket2.jpg Middle-Right.jpg

The bottom of the alternator is fixed in position by two BOE brackets that I recently bought. I triple checked that they are installed per the instructions, so I don’t believe that is the problem. I also checked the part number and appearance of my alternator and it appears to be the original alternator, so I don’t believe that is the issue. I was also concerned that the BOE intake manifold may not have been installed onto the supercharger per the instructions. Specifically, the instructions tell you to reveal as much of the S/C flange on one side (specified in the instructions) as possible. I popped the two pieces apart and tried repositioning them, to no avail.

I think this is the same or a similar problem as documented here, but I'm not positive.

Any thoughts, insights, or suggestions would be very welcome as I try to determine a solution.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have early style REV300 and in talking with Andrew they did change the bracket to give more support and to keep from stripping intake manifold bolts. They also added ARP studs and bolts for the intake manifold issue as well. I'll be ordering the stud/bolt kit thru them Monday after mine broke a manifold bolt.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I bought a used REV 400 as well, and also had a bracket to alternator mounting issue. When doing research back then, I found this attached picture that believe applies to your bracket. Note - I ended up getting a new TVS1320 snout bracket, which I numbered "3" in the below parts photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought a used REV 400 as well, and also had a bracket to alternator mounting issue. When doing research back then, I found this attached picture that believe applies to your bracket. Note - I ended up getting a new TVS1320 snout bracket, which I numbered "3" in the below parts photo.
Thanks for the info. I bought the two brackets you labeled 1 and 2 from BOE, but was trying to use the old style snout brackets that came with my kit. I emailed Ashley on Friday about getting the new style brackets, so hopefully this will fix the issue. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I forgot to mention one thing...since you purchased a used supercharger, I recommend for you to have your injectors cleaned. When they do this, they usually flow rate your injector before and after service, and replace the o-ring. Below is what my injectors were at pre & post service. And how they were packaged when returned. I had this done back in 2017 and it cost me $60 at that time.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nobuyasu, thanks for that tip. I didn't even know that service existed. My used kit didn't come with injectors so I bought them new from BOE.

To be honest, with what I've had to buy, I haven't saved all that much money and have encountered several issues. I don't know if you had a similar experience or not.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nobuyasu, thanks for that tip. I didn't even know that service existed. My used kit didn't come with injectors so I bought them new from BOE.

To be honest, with what I've had to buy, I haven't saved all that much money and have encountered several issues. I don't know if you had a similar experience or not.
Ditto that on my end. If I were to do it all over again, I would have just bought a new kit from BOE. BOE service is great whether you buy new or used. It's just when you buy used, the additional parts add up quickly. Not to mentioned the additional time it'll take to complete your install. If you but directly from them, it's like your getting a free warranty and they'll take care of you.

On a different note, how do you plan to install the 255 fuel pump? Drop the tank or install a surge tank?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts