The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased BOE half-links. I ran into a slight issue and wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were.

I started on the passenger side, and while I was drilling through the chassis & bushing (INOKenitic OEAlt Busings), the inner bushing sleeve separated from the rubber of the bushing. These are stock style bushings that are about 2 months old. I was able to pull the inner sleeve out and finish drilling the sleeve and chassis, and otherwise the rest of the passenger side install went perfect. The drill bit was new.

I am holding off on the drivers side until I have some feedback.

Anyone have thoughts on how to proceed? I guess I could leave it as is; I could buy a new bushing for that position, but I would still need to drill it out.

I am also curious on how this would work with spherical joints or other styles where the center of the bushing would literally spin and be very difficult to drill.

Working on cars always have little kinks and the link itself seems to be great quality, I’m otherwise very happy. I just wanted to see if anyone had thoughts or similar experience?

BOE said it was likely due to inferior bushings and they had never seen this happen, and also offered little suggestion on what to do about it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
you will need a new bushing regardless, so mind as well order now (get 2 just in case...)
you could try drilling the bushing out of the car, uninstalled from the a arm, with a drill press (so its straight). you would have to clamp it with something to hold it snug, maybe sandwich it between a few pieces of wood clamped to the press base...
the bushing you got are better then oem, but the design relies on flexing rubber. if your drill bit binds 1/2 of the way thought it could put to much rotational torque, unlike shear or perpendicular forces that are common in use, and damage the bushing. but I’m no scientist, so I’m prlobuly wrong...

·
Addict
1,327 Posts
I think you’ll need new bushings too. I changed bushings last year and have the BOE links as well, drilled them on a drill press before install. I don’t have the rubber ones though, so may or may not work for you.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,197 Posts
Sorry for the problem. We offer replacement bushes that can be ordered on our website.

We did not design our bushes to be drilled through - not sure if any bush manufacturer considers that requirement. But with the right method, it can be safely done. First, I would encourage you to drill them out BEFORE installing them into your arms. I would also support the inner sleeve so it won't rotate and get torqued by your bit. If you don't have the right tools, a local machine shop could surely do it for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the problem. We offer replacement bushes that can be ordered on our website.

We did not design our bushes to be drilled through - not sure if any bush manufacturer considers that requirement. But with the right method, it can be safely done. First, I would encourage you to drill them out BEFORE installing them into your arms. I would also support the inner sleeve so it won't rotate and get torqued by your bit. If you don't have the right tools, a local machine shop could surely do it for you. Good luck.
I would not consider it a design requirement either! I see that I can buy just two and am going to do that in just a bit. I have access to a drill press and plan to drill the next set before installation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts