The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my Elise early this year, and it has been an absolute joy. It drives like nothing else on the road, but I've always felt it needed just a little bit more power. Not necessarily on the top end, but throughout the meat of the powerband. The kick of the high cam coming on sounds and feels cool, but the wait up until that point does not.

There are two ways to fix this: a tune ($) or a supercharger ($$$$$). Since I'm currently not in a position to drop $8k+ on a toy, I had to make the 'sensible' choice, and go for the tune. Hopefully this will also help keep me from going the FI route in the future...

On to the tune. It's amazing, that's all there is to it. The 2nd cam kicks in earlier, which allows you to stay in the sweet spot while shifting. It's not as pronounced as before, but still there. At 6000RPM, the 25hp bump is very noticeable, and the power just builds. The idle speed is a little bit higher, so now it doesn't want to stall when coasting to a stop in neutral anymore, which was a nice surprise. Even the exhaust sounds better, with more pops and gurgles.

If anyone else decides to go this route, please make sure to tune the car in a safe place. My laptop didn't want to play nice with the car's ECU, which caused the firmware to abort halfway through the reflash, rendering the car temporarily undrivable. This isn't an issue since the ECU is easily recoverable, but the car had to sit a day until I could grab another laptop to finish the reflash. After that, it was a 10 minute process to complete.

All in all, BOE has another happy customer

Edit: Here's their shop car with the tune, only mods are exhaust and decat

·
Registered
956 Posts
Is this tune custom mapped for mods? In other words, will this tune take advantage of my less restrictive exhaust and air filter? Or does it simply lower the cam switchover point?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this tune custom mapped for mods? In other words, will this tune take advantage of my less restrictive exhaust and air filter? Or does it simply lower the cam switchover point?
Yep, Phil custom bakes the tune for your particular car/mods

·
Less is Better
2,432 Posts
So would you say that you got the mid-range torque that you were looking for? Is your car stock?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So would you say that you got the mid-range torque that you were looking for? Is your car stock?
I just have the stage 2 exhaust and no intake snorkel, so it's basically stock as far as power mods. The tune bumped the car into just-right territory, imho. The numbers aren't huge obviously, but you can definitely feel the improvement.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
That's pretty nice increase across the board. Interesting to see how much you could get out of this with a proper header/exhaust system and intake. Maybe another 15whp?

·
Registered
956 Posts
This is fantastic...exactly what I've been looking for.

EDIT: I see you need to buy the cable for $160 on top of the $825 tune. For that price you'd think the cable would be included.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is fantastic...exactly what I've been looking for.

EDIT: I see you need to buy the cable for $160 on top of the $825 tune. For that price you'd think the cable would be included.
The cable is actually a Tactrix OpenPort 2.0, and BOE sells them for $10 less than Tactrix does, which is nice.

I found mine on craigslist for sixty bucks.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Thanks guys!:clap:

05-07 at this time.

We've literally changed a few thousand variables in the tune from factory. This is much different than what's offered by Lotus sport and others where the only change is essentially a lower cam change....

I can tweak the tune for popular bolt on mods. I haven't done anything with cams on the NA cars, so couldn't make changes for that without actually being there in person.

Maybe we need to put together a coast to coast custom tuning tour for those one-off builds :crazyeyes

-Phil

·
Terry
2,189 Posts
sent you a pm, Phil.

Thanks guys!:clap:

05-07 at this time.

We've literally changed a few thousand variables in the tune from factory. This is much different than what's offered by Lotus sport and others where the only change is essentially a lower cam change....

I can tweak the tune for popular bolt on mods. I haven't done anything with cams on the NA cars, so couldn't make changes for that without actually being there in person.

Maybe we need to put together a coast to coast custom tuning tour for those one-off builds :crazyeyes

-Phil

·
Registered
410 Posts
Is there a quick technical answer for why 07+ isn't available? Just curious is all :)

·
Premium Member
11,461 Posts
People,

This is a terrific investment.

Makes the car easier and way more pleasant to drive.

Eliminating that valley before cam switchover is significant.

BOE wasn't offering these years ago, so I went with a different (unnamed) vendor.

I timed my car: 3rd gear, 3500 rpm to red light, same day, same amount of gas, similar temps. Same piece of road, of course.

3rd gear because a shift would introduce variables, and 3rd was long enough to time more accurately.

I picked up a full second with just this change. Love the lack of abrupt switch too.

Do it. (Not connected to BOE)

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Is there a quick technical answer for why 07+ isn't available? Just curious is all :)
It's a prejudice against 08+ cars:D

We just haven't built the software to decrypt the later routine for OBD2 programming on the 08+ cars (black dash). It's next on the list. Most with 08+ cars that have been jones'ing for a good tune have heard me say this for a year... but seriously, it is next on the list! :eek:

-Phil

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
People,

This is a terrific investment.

Makes the car easier and way more pleasant to drive.

Eliminating that valley before cam switchover is significant.

BOE wasn't offering these years ago, so I went with a different (unnamed) vendor.

I timed my car: 3rd gear, 3500 rpm to red light, same day, same amount of gas, similar temps. Same piece of road, of course.

3rd gear because a shift would introduce variables, and 3rd was long enough to time more accurately.

I picked up a full second with just this change. Love the lack of abrupt switch too.

Do it. (Not connected to BOE)

:bow:

·
Terry
2,189 Posts
since you are online and not replying I assume the message didn't go thru, anyone that knows the answer please let me know

Hi Phill,

Just a couple questions regarding the Torque200 tune:

1. How reliable is it compare to factory setting?
2. Do you recommend it for a car that is mostly driven on streets?
3. what's the new fuel consumption after the tune?

there are not a lot of people with this tune yet in the Bay Area that's why I can't experience this first hand. But i am really interested in this tune and i think it'll be the fix to my dead idle issue.

Thank you!

Terry

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
This tune is night and day from the stock one. Turned my track toy into a beast. I love it.

1 - 20 of 213 Posts