The Lotus Cars Community banner

181 - 200 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
I did the Torque200 tune remotely with a laptop on wireless plugged into my ODBC. No need to send Phil the ECU.
Odd...I just did the tune less than 2 months ago and they told me I had to send it in. Even though they had previously told me that they had the capability to do the tune remotely...and I already had the fastworks cable.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Same here, I had to send the ECU to Boe. That was back in November 2017, but as far as I know, that is still the case.

:smile2:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #187 (Edited)
You'll probably have to send the ECU in.

While I'm here, I'll post an update. 4 years later and the car is still running like a top.

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Must have missed this...

K-line (white dash) cars send their ECUs in. CANBUS cars (black dash 2ZZ and all 2GRs) are done via email and your laptop hooked up to the car.

As for codes and monitors, we have control over all of them that are pertinent...

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello everyone. I just finished reading this whole thread. Great to read that 2006+ cars w/drive-by-wire have great cold startups.

I know there are some on this thread that mention that the Torque 200 tuned cars feel as though they are just as torquey and quick as an SC (mp45 s/c). Is this validated somehow. Anybody have overlays of the 3 (stock, SC (mp45), and Torque200)?

Curious, if this tune for NA cars yielded these kind of results, one would think there would be room for improvement on a boosted SC (mp45) via a tune, right? After all, these SCs are recieving more air per cycle. It's difficult to believe that mp45 charged cars are topped off on hp & torque when the Torque200 proves more can be had on non-boosted motors.
If I'm right, is BOE or anyone else investigating improving 2zz engines with mp45 blowers via applying a similar tune ethos upon these supercharged (mp45) motors?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello everyone. I just finished reading this whole thread. Great to read that 2006+ cars w/drive-by-wire have great cold startups.

I know there are some on this thread that mention that the Torque 200 tuned cars feel as though they are just as torquey and quick as an SC (mp45 s/c). Is this validated somehow. Anybody have overlays of the 3 (stock, SC (mp45), and Torque200)?

Curious, if this tune for NA cars yielded these kind of results, one would think there would be room for improvement on a boosted SC (mp45) via a tune, right? After all, these SCs are recieving more air per cycle. It's difficult to believe that mp45 charged cars are topped off on hp & torque when the Torque200 proves more can be had on non-boosted motors.
If I'm right, is BOE or anyone else investigating improving 2zz engines with mp45 blowers via applying a similar tune ethos upon these supercharged (mp45) motors?
I would also be very interested to see an overlay of Torque200 tune vs Elise SC

·
Premium Member
11,461 Posts
The significant improvement of stuff such as Torque 200 is that gap in hp before the "big" cam switch is eliminated. And, that the cam switches earlier. These are related, of course. We get about 20 more hp in that gap area.

Also, that surge could upset the car perhaps in a corner.

I had a different mfgr's program in my NA Elise. I tested 3500 to redline in 3rd gear. (Long enough to mitigate against timing errors, no shifts to add variables.)

Same road, same day, similar amt of fuel.

I picked up a full second in that range. I posted about it:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/pes-chip-experience-37912/
---

However, there is really no comparison to adding a supercharger, which I've done.

More hp and tq all over the place. Down low, up high and in the middle.

First day, I went to pass a car on a 50 mph road. Thought I'd be doing about 80 after. No, it was 104 or so.

I should have done this modification years ago.

I also got to drive an Exige SC. While not as fast as my BOE supercharger s/u is was demonstrably faster and torquier than my chip. Passing on the highway did not require a downshift. Just press on the gas.

So, no, Tq 200 cars do not "feel as though they are just as torquey and quick as an SC (mp45 s/c)".

As usual, it's a matter of budget vs. power.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi,
Just been reading this thread and its very interesting.phil i have emailed BOEfab.com regarding a couple of questions .I am based in the UK ,have you done any 200 tunes for guys over here? Mines a cable exige 2005 so would have to send my ecu to you but need to make sure I dont get hit with return import charges do you know how to make sure this doesnt happen? The tune sounds just like what I have been looking for.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Could anyone please post a video of an '05 cold start? I am very interested in the 200 tune, but would like to see what 'coughing' on startup really looks like. I don't see this 'issue' as a deal breaker, but i think it would be helpful for the community and potential customers to see what they might be in for.

·
Less is Better
2,432 Posts
It's not coughing. It turns over but doesn't start. At first it would start on the second crank. Now it won't start until the 3rd.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I also got this tune on my 2005 elise and although I didn't get metrics, mine is coupled with the BOE 3" cold air intake can and it also made a huge difference. The sound is amazing when it gets to 6500rpm (+ or -) and it's a great shifting queue while wearing a helmet on the track. Highly recommend it!

181 - 200 of 213 Posts