The Lotus Cars Community banner

221 - 240 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I thought my language was plain and the concept obvious. I assume it amuses you to type what you did (and it's not not funny), but what you wrote just makes no sense.

The poster was someone who wanted mid-range power and you simply tried to redefine "mid-range". Doesn't work for our current administration or for you.

I am sorry.
Not sure what politics have anything to do with this, so let's try some good ol' numbers:

My hypothetical engine I referred to idles at 2k and redlines at 9,500. Midway between those is 5,750. So yes, for that engine, anything around 6k very neatly fits the fuzzy definition of midrange. I cannot advise the OP on what he defines midrange as, but I believe I have explained very neatly the language I used.

Follow?

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
I see. But, good try subtracting idle speed in the exercise. What would your hypothetical engine cost, with new crank, rods, pistons, cams, etc. It would be very little more power for such expense.

And, yes, I will buzz right by whilst changing the CD. You would be well advised to quit while you're behind.

I seem to remember you asking me if that 2+ page note for New Elise Owners was retyped each time or simply copied from an existing doc. Was that you??

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Emo Phillips joke.

"I was driving down the highway changing the radio. And just as I got the old one out....."

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I see. But, good try subtracting idle speed in the exercise. What would your hypothetical engine cost, with new crank, rods, pistons, cams, etc. It would be very little more power for such expense.

And, yes, I will buzz right by whilst changing the CD. You would be well advised to quit while you're behind.

I seem to remember you asking me if that 2+ page note for New Elise Owners was retyped each time or simply copied from an existing doc. Was that you??
No, you’re thinking of someone else. And also thinking of something totally irrelevant to this thread.

As OP said, this is about fun, not drag racing. A track day with a high revving engine with no heat soak sounds more fun to me than being faster thanks to something other than skill.

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Who mentioned drag racing?

You don't want to be "faster thanks to something other than skill"? Then why are you pushing the idea of modifying the car at all?

Heat soak isn't hard to mitigate. Plenty of our cars prove that every season.

Does the phrase "grasping at straws" ring a bell for you?

·
Registered
73 Posts
BOE Torque200 tune review
Back to the BOE Torque200 tune review, I sent my ECU in a few months ago and love it. More usable power and it sounds fantastic at the cam changeover. I highly recommend it!
Carry on...

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Thanks. I liked mine a lot too. Love the supercharger tho.

·
Less is Better
2,704 Posts
BOE Torque200 tune review
Back to the BOE Torque200 tune review, I sent my ECU in a few months ago and love it. More usable power and it sounds fantastic at the cam changeover. I highly recommend it!
Carry on...
Thank you.

What year is your car?

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Remember, when I tested the chip from 3500 rpm to redline in 3rd gear, Elise was a full second faster; significant.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
167 Posts
Sorry you didn't like my radio joke.Powerband vs cam duration and
lift is well known to us that build engines, sorry you don't get it.
I hope your not really playing with your audio system while tracking
your car.That was also a joke!! I don't think any of us should be
bragging about blowing buy a fellow Lotus owner.That's not what
this forum is about.We have a few that do so at track days and they
crash more than us humble ones.

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Sorry you didn't like my radio joke.Powerband vs cam duration and
lift is well known to us that build engines, sorry you don't get it.
I hope your not really playing with your audio system while tracking
your car.That was also a joke!! I don't think any of us should be
bragging about blowing buy a fellow Lotus owner.That's not what
this forum is about.We have a few that do so at track days and they
crash more than us humble ones.
"6000rpm is mid range if you hav long duration cams.You won't be passing the guy with big cams and
shouldn't have a radio if you want to go fast."

I have written a quantity of jokes. Pls allow me to say that jokes should be obviously so.

You assumed I was tracking and that isn't/wasn't the case.

I think the "blowing by" statement was germane to this thread and my points.

Thanks, tho,

g

PS: I saw a terrific standup comedian in NYC. We talked outside. I told him I had a joke that would fit his act perfectly. (I was sure that he heard this a lot and was almost always disappointed.)

He said he wanted to hear it. So:

"I tried a lot of ways to quit smoking and none worked. The last thing I tried was the Patch.
That did work either. I just couldn't get used to seeing out of only one eye."

He lit up and wanted to buy the joke. I was doing pretty well financially and simply gave it to him.

I stupidly did not write his name down so I could follow him. Sometimes, I'm an idiot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am surprised someone hasn’t recommended a gym membership as the cheapest way to improve weight to HP ratios on the N/A car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
You are actually 100% correct for many ppl. Science says we will shortly have 50% of our citizens obese and > 1/2 will be morbidly so.

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
OTOH, weight isn't of much consequence for most here. 20 lbs will not be felt or noticed. Yes, I'd prefer only 56% of weight on rear wheels, but my tracking days are well over.

It's a bit of an obsession with too many here. Even if some track the car, the weight of radio, etc isn't going to help much.

g

·
not your dad's puns
1,760 Posts
Has anyone combined this NA tune from BOE with stage 2 or 3 camshafts? If so, what are the results?
It sounds like you are interested in an all-motor approach, which I can relate to.

My other toys are already turbo charged, so I don't feel compelled to do a forced induction on this little 1.8. With the BOE 200, and OEM grind, it feels plenty "muscular" to me.

And I have often wondered what a pure, built, 1.8 would feel like. There is a beautiful set of high lift cams and roller followers out there, that is meant for the NA crowd - forget ATM who does it, MWR maybe? That's the way I would go, if I wanted to explore this. The downside, as you probably know, is that the cost would probably be very close to the FI route.

Good luck which ever way you go, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Adding my post from another thread here as this thread is more generic, longer, and likely more helpful to folks running it.

~3 months ago:
I recently purchased the Torque 200. I really enjoy it, but I do have some issues that might be maintenance related. My car does fire up the first time every time though.

However, sometimes when idling the revs jump and up down (near a 700 rpm swing) and the car has died numerous times while waiting at a stop light or stop sign. I've stalled out a few times while starting to move because when I give the car throttle while the rpm's are jumping around the throttle response is very and I end up stalling the car or over revving while getting into first. The car as almost died downshifting into a corner (just on the street) due to the rpm's dropping close to zero despite my throttle blip. After speaking with BOE I need to clean my MAF (never been clean in 10 years) and check one of my O2 sensors. In the spring time I did have a CEL for what could have been an O2 sensor, but the code went away after a few days. I've bought a new sensor and hope to address this issue this weekend.

~2 weeks ago:
Update: I've since replaced my air filter, cleaned the MAF, and replaced the downstream of cat O2 sensor. The first couple of drive cycles were rough, but seem to smooth out. The RPMs have dipped down during a shift into a corner like it did before, but I still stall occasionally. Tune is great, but still disappointing. Given the total cost and no upfront warning of this issue advertised I get annoyed driving it when it acts up.

I haven't cleaned the throttle body, replaced plugs (I believe they're still original), or replaced the MAF.

The tune is great when the car is going through the gears, don't get me wrong. I just need to remedy this issue to make it 100% enjoyable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Got my ECU back about two weeks ago from BOE with a Torque 200 tune. Observations:
  • The performance is noticeably different. Cam lift appears to come in around 5500 rpm. Actually seems to be around 5300. The change-over kick isn’t as bold as at the former 6500-ish, but it is strong and lasts longer.
  • If it is wound into the changer-over, it will still be on the high cam when I shift to the next gear. Considering this, the 60-85 mph performance seems much better (at least, by the rear-end stopwatch).
  • As many have reported, it doesn’t fire on the first button push, as it did before the tune. But it does start right up on the second. This is not a problem for me.

Worth doing? Yes, absolutely.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just throwing my two cents in the mix, got my torque 200 ECU back yesterday (installed, after breaking one of the slider ugh).

Anyway:
-My car fires up just as it did before (at least the first few times I’ve done it, no issues).
-Check engine light was on for the first two starts but went away after that.
-Car feels faster for sure, the power continues to build even from before the cam switchover.
-Cam switchover feel softer, but then builds nicely past 6000rpms.

I think not falling out of the high lift cam when shifting is the best part of the tune. I don’t know if it’s worth the $850 overall but it definitely wakes the car up and makes it much more drivable in all situations. Feels faster, stronger powerband for sure. Also take this with a grain of salt because I used to have a VF2 supercharged Elise, so the power obviously doesn’t compare (but the lack of headaches sure does!). Happy customer

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,572 Posts
No direct experience with 200 tune, but with all other tune packages historically imo a lot of the upside involves the supporting mods, exhaust, intake,flywheel etc... I can say that is certainly true with the BOE torque300 tune.

always that addage. "speed is money, how fast do you want to go" holds true... From what I can tell oem engine your looking at around 320 max reliable-ish hp. with the 2zz before your swapping out internals and drivetrain mods. If I was in a NA elise I would most certainly be trying to shed weight, and radio with speakers is over 20lbs I thought? I am taking my system out soon and just have a portable wireless speaker for music wants/needs. There is a thread that talks about the exact porsche cubby that fits right in where the radio was. Then your choice of speaker block-offs. Now if I lost 20 lbs and the 20lbs from the radio. 40lbs isn't placebo!

221 - 240 of 242 Posts