The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

bolt ons...

5K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  shay2nak 
#1 ·
i was perusing whats available for our cars as far as bolt ons, heres what i have....
7.5lb flywheel.....stock i believe is around 12lbs...
pulley set
induction system, which we have posted elswhere...
i dont think the headers would fit in the elise....
as far as bolt ons that we could get right now, what kind of gains if any, would this stuff yield? without even getting into the heads or anything....
man, wish there was a short throw shifter out there....

#2 ·
I'm contacting Ronald from Autosolutions to see if he's interested in building a ssk. If any one is familiar with his work on bmws they'll know he makes no compromise race quality units that work and are unbreakable.

#4 ·
I don't think the shifter will sit any lower. The only problem is I have to take the shifter out of my car and send it to him during his engineering phase. I'm not ready to make that kind of commitment!

#6 ·
I'm guessing 15-20hp. Induction and Arqray exhaust system (headers to tailpipe). Along with some weight reduction should be even more.

#7 ·
i have lss and standard interior, and stage 2 exhaust.. how much more weight can the car lose? (besides my fat arse?)
haha....
within reason....im not prepared to shell out 20 some grand on all cf body parts...
i think some good bolt ons, and maybe some head/cam work, and it would make a noticeable diffrence....

#8 ·
evomind said:
i have lss and standard interior, and stage 2 exhaust.. how much more weight can the car lose? (besides my fat arse?)
haha....
within reason....im not prepared to shell out 20 some grand on all cf body parts...
i think some good bolt ons, and maybe some head/cam work, and it would make a noticeable diffrence....
CF seats (-15 lbs), smaller battery (-10 lbs), the Arqray exhaust system (at least -20 lbs), radio (-15 lbs?)

60 lbs right there. I have a list at home, but I think there's more. You said LSS so that's another -20 lbs. Stage 2 is about -10lbs.

#9 ·
I think that it is NOT recommended to use an aftermarket crank pully.

opening the header/exhaust will probably resault in a loss of lower end torque, and unless you looking for track times, may make the car slower in the real world.

#10 ·
i can see the smaller battery, ive used them b4, but i dont think i want to sit on a seat thats 7.5 pounds lighter than what lotus already uses...
the anqray exhaust is 10 pounds lighter than stage 2??? thats not that 3k dollar piece of curved titanium tube is it?? with muffler.
i cruise around way too much to not have a radio....

u guys who are that concerned over a few pounds, why dont ya just take the passenger seat out alltogether?? i thought thats what racers do anyway....
:)

#12 ·
evomind said:
i can see the smaller battery, ive used them b4, but i dont think i want to sit on a seat thats 7.5 pounds lighter than what lotus already uses...
the anqray exhaust is 10 pounds lighter than stage 2??? thats not that 3k dollar piece of curved titanium tube is it?? with muffler.
i cruise around way too much to not have a radio....

u guys who are that concerned over a few pounds, why dont ya just take the passenger seat out alltogether?? i thought thats what racers do anyway....
:)
I've read that the CF seats with padding is not bad at all. The Arqray exhaust + the sport cat is 17 lbs the stock exhaust is 25 lbs alone! The single tip Ti muffler is 10.3 lbs by itself. Check Shinoo's site. It has all the products and their weight.

www.sector111.com

#13 ·
You can drop about 15 + pounds with an aftermarket racing style dry-cell battery. Battery mart sells the Hawker PC680 which can be fitted into our stock mounts per Perryeyeges. The stock Delco battery = 29.5 pounds per Delco. The 680 is about 13-14. Other lighter ones can be used too. I have used this exact Hawker in other cars and it is useable on the street without issue. Just be carefull about Arctic use, leaving your headlights on, or storing the car for long periods without driving it. It can be laid flat and is not hurt by deep discharges, recharges qucikly and is very affordable about 70-90 bux.

Stan

#14 ·
#16 ·
#17 · (Edited)
Re: Re: Re: bolt ons...

shay2nak said:
wow, those stock headers look like junk.
Have a close look at the contours of the heat shield on the 111R. It looks as though Lotus used a header similar the JP Performance header in the attached picture.

#18 · (Edited)
Here is a PIC of a modified Celica header...+ 5 HP from flange porting. It runs $225, takes a few days delay and is available from: http://www.alaniztechnologies.com/ The problem that the porting seems to help out with is the joint area where the header tubes join the cast iron flange. The ported area is enlarged a few mm in cross section and smoothed out.

And a dyno of ported stock versus stock:

Here is a Matrix header:

We seem to have the Celica variation... look at how the Matrix version lays out....two tubes are joined before the header exit, O2 sensor port....

#21 ·
>>>Here is a ceramic coated DC Sports exhaust header for the Celica GTS. It looks like it might be a bolt on upgrade for the Federal Elise.<<<

I've posted about that one before. Yes that looks like it will work on our cars and costs about 250. It gives useful gain on celicas but is mild steel. There are many headers available for the GTS, including one from TRD that uses the stock heat shields.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.