The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
The Boost G. is not working whatsoever .
Does this b.g rely on a sending unit or is it mechanical, relying on plus or minus pressure ?
Can't look at the cd . Laptop is on the fritz. Using iPhone .

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
The dash boost gauge does not have a pressure hose going to it, it is electrical. It receives a signal from a boost transducer in the right hand buttress near the fuel flap release solenoid. There are two visible screws when the hatch is open that go through the body and hold a plate with the boost transducer and the MAP sensor.

Look on the diagram under your hatch.

There is a hose for the boost transducer and a hose for the MAP sensor. Make sure both are there and are in good shape with no cracks. And are attached to the intake manifold in their correct places. The MAP sensor is a hard line, and has a 90 deg rubber elbow. Make sure that is not cracked as well.

The boost transducer is for the dash gauge, and the MAP sensor is for the ECU.

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Thank You.
Duhh...I had to go outside to see if I have that Decal.
Yes I do.
I will take a look at it all soon.
Mike

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went out again to the Garage.
Is the Boost Transducer behind carpet or attached underneath ?
Carpet is glued. Not like the other side where the overfill bottle is.
And easy to get at. No glued carpets, just a flap.
My car is an 89 so does this apply regarding your pic?
I have to get a good trouble light I suppose.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Mike,
Are you driving the car? I got the impression you were not and it is just running in the garage? You will not get any boost revving the engine in the garage, it needs to be on the road under load.
Colin

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike,
Are you driving the car? I got the impression you were not and it is just running in the garage? You will not get any boost revving the engine in the garage, it needs to be on the road under load.
Colin
Hi. No not driving the car unless it has a hidden quattro system.
There is zero indication of boost on the meter.
I did move the car today a few feet forward and aft but I wasn't looking at the boost gauge.
Perhaps tomorrow I will attempt a Brake Stand to see if the boost is working?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I did move the car today a few feet forward and aft but I wasn't looking at the boost gauge.
Zero is exactly what you will get in the garage, don't waste your time and clutch trying anything else. If you really want to know if the gauge is working disconnect the boost transducer hose on the rear end of the plenum (shown in white on the diagram) and use a small hand pump with the Ignition on, BE CAREFUL do not apply more than 15 - 20 psi or you will be buying a new transducer. I am sure your gauge is fine, it's your Alberta winter that's the problem !
Colin

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zero is exactly what you will get in the garage, don't waste your time and clutch trying anything else. If you really want to know if the gauge is working disconnect the boost transducer hose on the rear end of the plenum (shown in white on the diagram) and use a small hand pump with the Ignition on, BE CAREFUL do not apply more than 15 - 20 psi or you will be buying a new transducer. I am sure your gauge is fine, it's your Alberta winter that's the problem !
Colin
Question: this hand pump is not from Sweden Im sure.
WhAt sort of pump does one purchase to find the problem

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Question: this hand pump is not from Sweden Im sure.
WhAt sort of pump does one purchase to find the problem
I assume the previous owner told you it wasn't working? Or are you thinking it isn't working ? I have a mityvac which is a great tool as it lets you test all of your smaller vacuum and pressure switches as well as bleed your brakes. Something like below. Available at lordco etc
Mityvac Pressure Vacuum Tester Brake Bleeder New | eBay

·
Banned
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I assume the previous owner told you it wasn't working? Or are you thinking it isn't working ? I have a mityvac which is a great tool as it lets you test all of your smaller vacuum and pressure switches as well as bleed your brakes. Something like below. Available at lordco etc
Mityvac Pressure Vacuum Tester Brake Bleeder New | eBay
Hi.
No the former owner didnt tell me about some other things
I sent him an email today about sending me the rest of the work orders.
I'll see how that goes through.
I'd like to think the best of someone for now.

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
Trying to test the boost gauge with a 6 year old timing belt in a static garage position sounds like you're playing with fire. I'd recommend holding off ; a broken boost gauge is least of your worries at this time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts