The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have searched, so please forgive me if I missed a thread.

Does anyone know the procedure to align the boot on an Elise?
I have downloaded the Elies service manuals, but they cover only removal. Also there are several good articles on removing the rear clam but non on installing it, or the boot.

When I reinstalled the boot, the panel gaps looked good; however the back center of the lid rubs on the clam near the rear window. :confused:

Any suggestions, or thougths?

Thanks,
elisenc

2005 Elise Starlight Black.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anybody else who removes their clam had this?
I taped the shims to the body when I removed the clam.

the center portion of the clam, where the boot rubs, is not attached to anything, could it have shifted while it was off the car?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Haven't had my rear off and mine is an Exige, but my front clam has been off.

I can say with certainty that the front clam can flex quite a bit, just under its own weight. Given that the Elise clams are thinner (I've personally measured), I can certainly see them flexing and the possibility of installing them with some flex loaded into them.

Might try unbolting all the fixing points, raising the boot lid, then fastening the clam to the chassis while getting it into place.
:shrug:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Does anyone know the procedure to align the boot on an Elise?

Any suggestions, or thougths?

Thanks,
elisenc
Reintalling and aligning the boot lid is a PITA. I had my share of problems when putting in back on after modding the plastic slats.

Here is what I eventually did:
1. Put the shims/washers in their ORIGINAL position.
2. Tighten the nuts loosely, just enough so that the lid can move slightly side-to-side and back-to-front. Not too loose or else it will shift as soon as you move it.
3. Lower the lid and make sure the lock mechanism engages properly. I actually locked the lid to make sure it was aligned correctly.
4. Check gaps around the entire lid and move lid accordingly to have even spacing.
5. Once satisfied that the lid is positioned correctly, use painters tape on the rear of the lid (closest to cabin) to "hold" lid in place. See Pic.
6. With a helper (my son) I slowly raised the lid. The tape was essentially a hinge that kept everything from moving.
7. Tighten hardware and recheck alignment.

FWIW, it took me 2 times doing the above to get it right.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
815 Posts
Great to know since I will be doing an SC install this weekend. :up:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Have you taken your rear clam off?

If so... make sure your boot lid hinges are properly re-installed and not at some silly angle. I realized this mistake at the point when I was putting my lid back on. I thought I was just about done with the project.... nope.... gotta tear apart the cabin interior again:wallbang:
When I have removed my lid and not the clam I put it back together exactly as before and everything lined up with very little adjusting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you WayDui! I will try this tomorrow :bow:

Did you also loosen the clam too? I think you have to since the hinges are installed between the clam and the chassis. It seems that the boot bolts only allow side to side,
And you have to loosen the clam to move front to back.

Reintalling and aligning the boot lid is a PITA. I had my share of problems when putting in back on after modding the plastic slats.

Here is what I eventually did:
1. Put the shims/washers in their ORIGINAL position.
2. Tighten the nuts loosely, just enough so that the lid can move slightly side-to-side and back-to-front. Not too loose or else it will shift as soon as you move it.
3. Lower the lid and make sure the lock mechanism engages properly. I actually locked the lid to make sure it was aligned correctly.
4. Check gaps around the entire lid and move lid accordingly to have even spacing.
5. Once satisfied that the lid is positioned correctly, use painters tape on the rear of the lid (closest to cabin) to "hold" lid in place. See Pic.
6. With a helper (my son) I slowly raised the lid. The tape was essentially a hinge that kept everything from moving.
7. Tighten hardware and recheck alignment.

FWIW, it took me 2 times doing the above to get it right.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jallingt,

Yep, I had the clam off. I was careful to keep everything on the same side of the car that it came from. I also took some pictures. The boot seem to have very little clerance front to back. By that I mean if I move the boot far enough back to clear the front, it rubs on the back. I'm close now, so I hope Waydui's instructions will help me get the last of it.

Have you taken your rear clam off?

If so... make sure your boot lid hinges are properly re-installed and not at some silly angle. I realized this mistake at the point when I was putting my lid back on. I thought I was just about done with the project.... nope.... gotta tear apart the cabin interior again:wallbang:
When I have removed my lid and not the clam I put it back together exactly as before and everything lined up with very little adjusting.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Did you also loosen the clam too? I think you have to since the hinges are installed between the clam and the chassis. It seems that the boot bolts only allow side to side
Hi Elisenc,
No, I didn't loosen the clam. Maybe I misspoke when I said the lid moves front-to-back.

What I meant was that you can "twist" the lid, making one side come more forward than the other. I was able to make one side align in a more forward position than the other, thus equalizing the gaps around the lid opening.

We're not talking about large movements, a few millimeters at most, but enough to make a positionng difference.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts