The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
s anyone know of a modern "Plug - n - Play" electronic fuel injection system to replace the Bosh CIS system on a 88 Esprit?

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
722 Posts
EFI does not lend itself to "Plug and Play", there's lots of fine tuning even with modern cars that PNP into the OEM harness.

There's a few of us that have Megasquirted the Lotus 9xx motors. Getting a crank sensor/wheel made, and fabricating a fuel rail to add electric injectors to your manifold or finding a later Lotus EFI manifold and fuel rail would be the major challenges. Then it's mostly plumbing and wiring.

Megasquirt MS3X or above will do anything you could reasonably ask the motor to do, but each feature comes with a multitude of settings to set up for your particular engine.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
In terms of time and money your best bet is to try to make the Bosch system work as well as you can. You can still, for the most part, get parts and there are enough people around who know how to work on it. The Bosch system is pretty good but it cannot tolerate any old, stale fuel. If you are not handy and cannot do most of the conversion yourself, converting to a different fuel delivery system is going to cost a magnitude more than fixing the Bosch K Jet system and take you a long time to fine tune it. Do it badly and it will lower the value of the car and possibly destroy the motor.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
913 Posts
I want my Esprit to be like my Harley, plug in a fuel pak, select engine modifications, pick a map, send it to the bike by bluetooth from an app on my phone. Of course there isnt the Lotus challenge of tapping a warm up regulator, setting the idle air mixture, messing with the ignition timing, burning the back of my hand on the block. Sarcasm

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everybody for their input and information. I agree with amanda11270 on the type of injection system to have. The question was raised by MRDANGERUS as to "Why would you want to do that?", the best way to explain it is by referring to his posting of "MECHANISM of PISTON FAILURE IN BOSCH CIS INJECTED ENGINES By MrDangerUS, October 23, 2012 in Esprit Chat". Great article and seems to have a lot of knowledge. The `88 Esprit with CIS from my experience is really not a reliable vehicle to take on long distance trips as wish to do. The Bosh CIS was State of Art years ago. Now trying to find injectors for the Lotus 910 2.2-liter turbocharged engine is impossible as Bosh no longer manufactures them and off the shelf replacements are impossible to find as their is no Bosh cross reference for other automotive makes such as Volkswagen, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. You have to purchase something similar and then modify them which may or may not work correctly which could lead to serious engine failure. Additionally finding someone that has the tools, equipment, and knowledge of the CIS system to work on it when you are 500 miles form your home can be impossible and may leave you stranded for days. The modern EFI systems are for more reliable and the chance of a catastrophic engine failure because the injectors are not within 5% of fuel delivery is greatly reduced along with being much more efficient is why I am wanting to change. I am leaning to the OMEX system going with the distributor-less system preferring coil on plug with the trigger crank. I have experience with this system and feel comfortable with it as many of the parts are readily available and in stock at many automotive parts stores if needed when traveling. It will no loner require 2 separate fuel pumps, fuel distributor, mixer control unit, a cold start injector, accumulator, 5 separate fuel lines, and associated relays and switches. Thanks again for everyone's input and information. I do realize that it will be a challenge but truly believe it is worth doing. I will carefully remove and preserve all of the CIS components and save them if and when I ever sell the car and the new owner would like like to return to the original system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts