The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
both main driving lights (top ones) are not working, internal headlight switch illuminates but lights dont come on (side lights and full beam work ok). Is this a known faults? is there a standard fix/trick to fix it or is it back to the dealer?

I pressume (seeing as both lights have failed) that it isnt just a blown bulb.

cheers
Mike

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Check out stuff about the Switch Pack Module (SPM), its a box of relays behind the steering wheel. Its the "switch" sound you here when you turn the lights on and off from the dash. Mine has acted up a couple times over the last year. I have had to replace the headlights twice so far in a year. Each time both of them have ended up being burnt out, most likely from the relays freaking out.

Heres a thread that has some info about the SPM
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51573&highlight="switch+pack+module"

I ended up doing the Green Wire mod to turn off the Day Time Running lights to lower the strain on the SPM and the bulbs.

Heres a thread where my SPM acted up for almost 3 months exactly....my parking lights were always on no matter what anytime the keys were in, then just one day they worked normally.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out stuff about the Switch Pack Module (SPM), its a box of relays behind the steering wheel. Its the "switch" sound you here when you turn the lights on and off from the dash. Mine has acted up a couple times over the last year. I have had to replace the headlights twice so far in a year. Each time both of them have ended up being burnt out, most likely from the relays freaking out.

Heres a thread that has some info about the SPM
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51573&highlight="switch+pack+module"

I ended up doing the Green Wire mod to turn off the Day Time Running lights to lower the strain on the SPM and the bulbs.

Heres a thread where my SPM acted up for almost 3 months exactly....my parking lights were always on no matter what anytime the keys were in, then just one day they worked normally.
Thanks David,

much appreciated!

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Could well be the SPM but there are separate circuits and relays for each headlight, both high and low beam, 4 relays in total, so it is strange that both have gone out. The only place there is commonality is at the headlight switch.
Good luck, Michael

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
For me the headlights failed at the same time. There were a couple times where one light would flick on or off by itself, but both times the bulbs burnt out they both burnt out together.

Also you can check the fuses for the headlights. For the Exige they are located in a fuse block that is located under one of the fron access panels...can't remember if its the driver side or passanger side. Your owners manual shows the location of the fuses.

Honestly though I would check the bulbs first. If its your first time, to get to the bulbs you need to remove the front wheel, remove the splash shield with the vents and then there should be 3 screws that are holding the headlight cover to the body. It will probably take a little while your first time, but now I can do both sides in about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Honestly though I would check the bulbs first. If its your first time, to get to the bulbs you need to remove the front wheel, remove the splash shield with the vents and then there should be 3 screws that are holding the headlight cover to the body. It will probably take a little while your first time, but now I can do both sides in about 30 minutes.
If you have the non sport pack tires, they are skinnier and you can turn the wheel all the way to one side so that you can reach the screws on the front of the wheel liner without having to take off the wheel.

Warning the screws are made of cheap plastic and may not go back in correctly or the heads of them may get ripped up and stripped when you screw them back in. I went to Lowes and got some stainless steel screws that were the same size. Oh and if anybody asks it weights about 1/100th of an ounce more!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts