The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to purchase my first Elise and I've found a '06 with 20k miles that appears to be everything that I want......except one thing. The seller mentioned it had "a couple minor scrapes" on the bottom of the front clam that can't be seen unless your under the car.

Knowing the clams are 'fragile', should I be overly worried about this? Would this be easily repairable?

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
that looks ok to me... i think most of us have some scrapes. you will do the same to it after just a few drives, it takes a while to realize which gas station you can or can't go in.

as long as the front lip doesn't show any fractures, i say you should be ok.

·
Premium Member
2,237 Posts
agree, although I'd say it happened more than a "couple" of times.

My question is, is the grille in the right place? Shouldn't it line up with the brackets and small holes for the pins?

·
Registered
2011 Persian Blue Elise R(S)
819 Posts
I wish my scrapes looked like the scrapes you're showing. :(

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I scrape mine about once a year. It seems inevitable.

I don't think you should worry about it. Also I don't think you should bother fixing it as no one will see it when standing next to the car.

Nice that the owner pointed it out. 10/10 for honesty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My question is, is the grille in the right place? Shouldn't it line up with the brackets and small holes for the pins?
It appears the grille might have been out in that picture based on other pics I've looked at.

I scrape mine about once a year. It seems inevitable.

I don't think you should worry about it. Also I don't think you should bother fixing it as no one will see it when standing next to the car.

Nice that the owner pointed it out. 10/10 for honesty.
Actually, he didn't but I've researched enough to know to ask if it's there. :up:

I'm doing my best to work through the list of things to look for in the "buying" sticky. It's hard not to get excited though. ;-) Hopefully I'll be a new owner soon.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
you can get clear plastic chin gaurds to go over the winglets. You paint them from the inside to match the car.
They are much tougher than fiberglas and you can replace them every couple years. They also cover the damage well.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
you can get clear plastic chin gaurds to go over the winglets. You paint them from the inside to match the car.
They are much tougher than fiberglas and you can replace them every couple years. They also cover the damage well.
...or just buy a splitter like 99% of us do to prevent the clam damage. :D

·
Registered
2011 Evora, Persian Blue, 6-speed
551 Posts
My current non-Lotus gets hit in the chin at a lot of gas stations. Before I last had it repainted I added extra fiberglass on the inside plus spray foam insulation. Seems like it has less chance of a full crack now.

But: the "Front under clam protectors" look great.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,945 Posts
I unfortunately bought mine with small fiberglass parts missing because the bottom had be scraped so bad. But I worked it in with the price and plan on getting it fixed over the winter.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Every Elise/Exige that gets driven will get scraped on the chin. That's why I don't understand why everyone doesn't get some kind of protection. I prefer a nice front spoiler which I think enhances the lines of the car as well. I recently schmucked up my nice CF spoiler on a steep driveway approach, but the body wasn't harmed at all. The spoiler took the hit. My next spoiler will have a custom piece of polycarbonate (similar to SirLotus's) attached to its entire under surface.

As long as the chin of that car is not cracked the scrapes are not much of a problem, and even if it was cracked, the fix is not difficult. My solution: Buy the car if you like it, and buy a spoiler.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
ouch! nice paint job btw.

If you want a temporary solution until you get a splitter, you can use furniture sliders to prevent further scraping.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
As others note, its not a big deal.

A few things:

- The scrapes are in the standard spot.

- Splitters will do the job

- If no splitter, get Michael's (SirLotus) chin scrape guards.

I can't do a splitter because I have a custom front clam (shaved plinth), so, if it were my car, I would:

- Order matching paint from Automotivetouchup.com - they rattle can OEM matched stuff is AWESOME. Get primer/paint/clear coat for around $25.

- Lightly sand and spray blend.

- Add SirLotus' guards.

I say this because the guards won't cover 100% of the damage.

Another option is to have a good body shop do the touch up (blend). Might charge you $50 for it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I live in a condo and at the guardhouse :
1. Driving alone, no problem
2. Me and my skinny 18 year old daughter, no problem
3. Me and my 52 kg wife, scrapping happens. What I do is I don't take my wife out in my exige or I tell her to wait for me outside the guardhouse.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts