The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn’t think to replace the bottom vent tube gasket when I did my supercharger install and now it looks like it may be leaking but want to get some second opinions. Just did a new dipstick tube o ring as well but it was pretty hard to tell if it slid into place all the way.
It’s not leaking a lot of oil but enough to make a mess on my diffuser after a few drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I would add some RTV to the dipstick O-Ring as my first test, because changing that gasket is a little hard to reach, or at least it is on an exige.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would add some RTV to the dipstick O-Ring as my first test, because changing that gasket is a little hard to reach, or at least it is on an exige.
Yeah I tried that initially with just an off the shelf o ring I had sitting in the shop when I installed it the very first time but went back and put a Oem o ring in yesterday and still leaks. From what I’m reading now that vent flange gasket is a one time use

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,377 Posts
That gasket is a pain to replace but you might have to. Or remove the tube and use block off plates.

·
Administrator
1,519 Posts
I had a leak in same area and found PO had used oversized oring and that was leaking. I modified the dipstick and made sure via borescope that it would properly seat down with oem oring. The 30' borescope was from another project and was about $35 and has helped me a lot with the hard to see places.

Reactions: Kubera

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That gasket is a pain to replace but you might have to. Or remove the tube and use block off plates.
Yeah It wasn’t Too Easy at the bottom even with the supercharger removed. Just ordered the gaskets from Toyota but they’re 3-4 days out. Who sells the block off plates boe?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a leak in same area and found PO had used oversized oring and that was leaking. I modified the dipstick and made sure via borescope that it would properly seat down with oem oring. The 30' borescope was from another project and was about $35 and has helped me a lot with the hard to see places. View attachment 1268792
Just put in a Oring from toyota yesterday so I know it’s the right size just not 100% on the it being all the way seated. When I go to put the dipstick back in after checking the oil level it kind of gets caught up on the last few inches

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Just put in a Oring from toyota yesterday so I know it’s the right size just not 100% on the it being all the way seated. When I go to put the dipstick back in after checking the oil level it kind of gets caught up on the last few inches

Even with a proper new o-ring I have had them leak. I suggest you get a bunch of RTV in there and let it dry before you attack the vent tube. Especialllllllly if you had it happen post SC install.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even with a proper new o-ring I have had them leak. I suggest you get a bunch of RTV in there and let it dry before you attack the vent tube. Especialllllllly if you had it happen post SC install.
Yeah I’ll try that right now, might as well since I can’t get the gasket till next week anyway.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it’s definitely not seated right, one side of the o ring is pinched and hanging out. The next questions is what’s the best way to get it in straight or what mod is mentioned above to make it easier? Even pulling straight down it seems like the dipstick tube is pretty much curved right till the end so it’s pretty hard to get it in correctly

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I got the dipstick sealing solved. What I ended up doing was bending the end of the dipstick a little bit and then greasing up the o ring and it popped right into place in a couple seconds, no struggling. Going to put a little rtv over the top to be safe and then go drive it and will report back. In the pics I took you can see the o ring is no longer visible over the top of the block.

·
Registered
237 Posts
What supercharger did you install?

I had the exact issue with the VF kit. The dip stick tube I received with the kit (version 1) was too short, found the contact at VF and received the updated dip stick tube. Now it didn’t seat right and would spray oil. My fix was using the OE tube and getting a brake line bender from AutoZone and bending it a bit. Cut off the OE tab, made a tab off the supercharger to mount the tube to, and it ended up being perfect. Dip stick doesn’t get bound up or hard to get out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What supercharger did you install?

I had the exact issue with the VF kit. The dip stick tube I received with the kit (version 1) was too short, found the contact at VF and received the updated dip stick tube. Now it didn’t seat right and would spray oil. My fix was using the OE tube and getting a brake line bender from AutoZone and bending it a bit. Cut off the OE tab, made a tab off the supercharger to mount the tube to, and it ended up being perfect. Dip stick doesn’t get bound up or hard to get out.
Oem exige kit, this was the Oem dipstick I’m pretty sure.

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,557 Posts
I did the same, only I used two orings, one slightly undersized and one slightly oversized, made certain they seated, and I got some appropriate gasket sealant around the outer diameter. I went down a rabbit hole that included rebuilding my sc, because the oil I was seeing was from my dipstick. I counted it out because it had already been fixed once at the dealership by previous owner. Wasn't my SC snout leaking... was the dipstick. quite a saga that all was, but I learned a whole damn lot aboout the mp62. Leak hasn't come back either to date. knock on virtual wood.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did the same, only I used two orings, one slightly undersized and one slightly oversized, made certain they seated, and I got some appropriate gasket sealant around the outer diameter. I went down a rabbit hole that included rebuilding my sc, because the oil I was seeing was from my dipstick. I counted it out because it had already been fixed once at the dealership by previous owner. Wasn't my SC snout leaking... was the dipstick. quite a saga that all was, but I learned a whole damn lot aboout the mp62. Leak hasn't come back either to date. knock on virtual wood.
Yeah I could see how you would think the sc was leaking it sounds like it sprays oil up instead of just seeping out of the hole like you would think

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
I put the block off plates on the vent when I did the Rev300 last year.
I was going to put a post up on the nagging problem i have now, dust on my bone dry oil pan. How does one keep it clean?

Problem with the dipstick is it just wasn't designed to have any angle at all. Held in by one bolt at the top and any error at all and it is going to leak.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took the car out for a rip last night and on the way to and from work and I’m still getting a little bit of oil making its way onto the pan, not nearly as much as before though. so the vent gaskets with the block off plates will be the next move. Triple checked dipstick tube and it’s fully seated and dry still so those gaskets should hopefully solve the problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts