The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured out what NOT to do with your Elise. DO NOT back out of a driveway sloped up, always go nose first. I backed out and when the car hit the street, the nose dropped and crrrrrckckckck! I now have a scraped bottom edge on the driver's side. Not a huge deal, but it IS visable if you look. And the clear bra is all chewed up in that area, too. I'm going to spraypaint the scraped underside maroon (being very careful, mind you, to not get it anywhere else). Then I'll take a hair dryer to the clear bra. ugh.

BTW-leaving that same driveway nose first causes no problems whatsoever...

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your first curb scrape is kind of like your first door ding; you whine and cry but eventually you just move ahead. I'd rather have this than the door ding...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
pinmagic said:
I met a guy who took a ball-peen hammer to the bumper of his new vans, so he wouldn't have to worry about the first bump.
That's kind of like committing suicide at an early age because you are going to die eventually...:wallbang:

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Why is it that I can drive up into a driveway without scraping, but then backing straight out of the same driveway scrapes the nose? Seems like the angles should be the same, but it's only backing out that scrapes.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Why is it that I can drive up into a driveway without scraping, but then backing straight out of the same driveway scrapes the nose? Seems like the angles should be the same, but it's only backing out that scrapes.
You can - but chances are, you entered the driveway at a slight angle. The other variable here is speed and the resulting suspension compression. Ideally, you should be going slow enough that their is zero suspension compression when the front wheels hit the change in angle.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Rest assured with the Liz sitting as low as it does we will all know Surferjer's pain soon enough. I just hope to delay the inevitable as long as possible. If you ordered LSS be REALLY careful. It may not sound like much of a ground clearance difference but on a car that already sits as low as the Liz, it's plenty.

:rolleyes: Now that I have my car I have something new to worry about. I have already ordered touch up paint for the stone chips I will get regardless of the Clear-Bra and the kick plates are on order too.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Surferjer said:
I figured out what NOT to do with your Elise. DO NOT back out of a driveway sloped up, always go nose first. I backed out and when the car hit the street, the nose dropped and crrrrrckckckck! I now have a scraped bottom edge on the driver's side. Not a huge deal, but it IS visable if you look. And the clear bra is all chewed up in that area, too. I'm going to spraypaint the scraped underside maroon (being very careful, mind you, to not get it anywhere else). Then I'll take a hair dryer to the clear bra. ugh.

BTW-leaving that same driveway nose first causes no problems whatsoever...
Dare I ask? Do you have a picture so we can see what we're in for?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have been trying to be carefull about the rear fenders. I'm always trying to remember than I'm sitting well inboard of where the rear wheels ride and if you are not carefull at a gas station or drive through you might end up getting too close to the pick-up window and hitting the flared sides.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Applying throttle will cause the forward part to lift slightly as the weight transfers to the back.

Driving in.. the front lifts. Reversing out... the rear lifts.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I have a really steep driveway and a dip at the bottom, over the years I've had a couple Esprits and Ferraris go up it, the key is go up slow and at an angle, touch wood haven't rubbed anything on my elise yet.

My friend went down my driveway nose first and too straight off, scrape the underside of the nose.
Chris

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will post a picture later. My camera is at home. It's not THAT bad. What sucks is I have been ultra careful to not driver over any curbs or concrete blocks, then this happens anyway. grrr.

Chris-do NOT experiment and try backing out of your driveway (unless you already have and it was okay).

How/where do I get some touch-up paint for this??:confused:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Surferjer said:
I will post a picture later. My camera is at home. It's not THAT bad. What sucks is I have been ultra careful to not driver over any curbs or concrete blocks, then this happens anyway. grrr.

Chris-do NOT experiment and try backing out of your driveway (unless you already have and it was okay).

How/where do I get some touch-up paint for this??:confused:
Your dealer should be able to get it for you.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
a while back there was talk of a polycarbonate front scuff guard. I guess that never happened???

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
ivan1 said:
a while back there was talk of a polycarbonate front scuff guard. I guess that never happened???

I have been meaning to ask Lotus about that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts