The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After selling my Elise January 2008 and purchasing a Cayman S...I find myself emotionally detached from the Porsche and missing my Elise. The Cayman is a marvelous car (and I gotta say much safer which was my big concern) but it doesn't get my labido going like my Lotus cars have in the past. Guess it's too "normal". I really don't consider myself a Porsche guy but the Cayman had the credentials I wanted. I still dream of my Europa Special that's been gone for 30 years. I guess I'm just a Lotus guy deep down inside. Thanks for listening, I just needed to get that out.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Maybe an Evora will be to your liking? A little bit of both?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I understand. While I am new to Lotus, I feel attached to my Elise - like I was with my motorcycles. I always look back when I am walking away from it just to appreciate how beautiful it is and how fortunate I am to own one.

It's unlike any other vehicle I have had before because with a bike, you are TRULY not safe because of other people. No matter how much gear you have on, if someone hits you or you smack the pavement, you lose. I speak from experience.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I am looking to switch out my Exige for a Seven/Caterham. I am so attached to my Exige that I wonder if I will regret the switch. I keep telling myself that the Caterham is the Exige turned up to 11, but when I was between my Elise and Exige for about 3 weeks, I was practically ill with regret of selling the Elise. With Exige now, I don't even think of the Elise. I wonder if this will be the same with the Caterham. I know that if I switched to something else, I would regret it.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Keep the Porsche until the Evora or Evora S hit US shores ! My wife is mulling over getting a Cayman , great cars, it would be our practical running around town vehicle. ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
After selling my Elise January 2008 and purchasing a Cayman S...I find myself emotionally detached from the Porsche and missing my Elise. The Cayman is a marvelous car (and I gotta say much safer which was my big concern) but it doesn't get my labido going like my Lotus cars have in the past. Guess it's too "normal". I really don't consider myself a Porsche guy but the Cayman had the credentials I wanted. I still dream of my Europa Special that's been gone for 30 years. I guess I'm just a Lotus guy deep down inside. Thanks for listening, I just needed to get that out.
Hmmmm, i may be in a similar situation. I am considering selling my Lotus to get another Porsche a pre-owned 911 turbo at a great price.... I wonder if I would regret doing it....

Have you driven the Cayman real hard yet, like run it up and down Palomar a few times hard, but safely of course, or AX'd it? Maybe a track day at Willow Springs? Or even changee the oil for it? Take it for a road trip... I've always found doing things like that make me feel more attached to a car... I personally think the Cayman S is a really kick a$$ car very much capable of bringing loads of driving enjoyment like an Elise.

Happy Motoring,
Larez2

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hmmmm, i may be in a similar situation. I am considering selling my Lotus to get another Porsche a pre-owned 911 turbo at a great price.... I wonder if I would regret doing it....
Exactly what I'm trying to do now !

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
i did just that - sold my exige for the 911 turbo - worse decision ever miss the Exige everyday and will do something about it soon enough :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
i dont want to hear all this non-sense as im about to sell my lotus....

im eyeing down an orange gallardo though...we shall see.

should i change my mind? =(

·
Registered
487 Posts
i dont want to hear all this non-sense as im about to sell my lotus....

im eyeing down an orange gallardo though...we shall see.

should i change my mind? =(
Do it. That's on my list too. I just need to get rid of mine first.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I sold my Elise for a 2007 GT3 and have not regretted it. The changeover is dramatic but there's a lot to like... I would be disloyal if I didn't say I wish I still had the Elise, but if I can't have both I am very satisfied with my decision. But, wait, why am I still on this board?

·
Premium Member
12,140 Posts
it doesn't get my labido going .
Apologies in advance....I thought only hermaphrodites had those!

Check w/APK919. Said he lusted after a Turbo & finally got one. Got an Exige, rarely drives the P.

These things are partly dependent on how one wants to use the car.

For me, the Lotuses (7, Elan, Elise) I've had were perfect. Their performance envelopes were more usable, i.e. they were fun at lower speeds....even at 40 mph due to their feel, directness.

Had a TT Supra....always took the Elan when i could....sold it, bought Elise.

But, that's just me....

·
Registered
974 Posts
Come back to the world of Lotus!!!

I must admit that part of me is happy because the Cayman S was on my list of possibilities before I decided on the Exige S.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Bought an Elise Last August. Sold my Boxster S 2 mos later. Porsche guys continue to ask, "are you coming back?" Answer is ALWAYS the same: 'Sure, as soon as Porsche trims about 900 LBS from the BX, I'll be the first in line.'
And I would. I wouldn't ditch the Elise..at least not right away, but going from the current state of P-cars (Boxster was not my first) to the Lotus..no comparison. The Lotus is EVERYTHING the Boxster should have been. Porsche's in general have gotten FAT over the years. Check the weights and dimensions---This past Sunday, I had a chance to see an early 80 vintage 911 right next to an 08 Cayman. 2-seat Cayman was a physically bigger than the '4-seat' 911. Great cars to be sure...but big and heavy.

john m.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I too am an almost Porsche buyer. I went to test drive an Elise and a Boxster S. I wanted to love the Elise, (I've had an Elan for the last 20 years and feel that it's part of who I am) and had convinced myself that the Boxster would be like a 2 seater BMW, and that I wouldn't like it. I test drove the Boxster S first and, in fact, it's really nice car. Comfortable, decent handling, sweeeet engine sound, a little crisper (can't use the word raw, really) than a BMW. Then I test drove the Elise and was admittedly underwhelmed. Harder to get into/out of, the seat sometimes painfully jabbing into my hip, was the view out of the windshield more slot-like than my Elan ? And the handling was just weird. (It was on snow tires.. even longer story). So I walked out of the Lotus dealer very very confused, almost depressed. I was convinced that the Porsche was the better car, but I didn't WANT IT. I WANTED to WANT the Elise.

So I got a 2nd test drive in an Elise, top "down", no snow tires. OMG.. YES YES YES.. Direct communication with the car and it with the road. That's what I wanted... :coolnana:

Now if only the parts that the dealer discovered the car needed in order to fix some things to complete the PDI would come in, I'd go get it. :wallbang: I betcha that doesn't happen to Porsche owners.

But I don't care.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I sold my Elise for a 2007 GT3 and have not regretted it. The changeover is dramatic but there's a lot to like... I would be disloyal if I didn't say I wish I still had the Elise, but if I can't have both I am very satisfied with my decision. But, wait, why am I still on this board?
It's nice to know that you sold a $40K car and bought a $100,000 car but you still wish you had the $40k car ! I think I would be satisfied trading my Elise in for a super car as well...... But it's nice to know that even if I had a super car I would still long for my Elise (which I actually think I would ) But then again if I could afford a super car and it's upkeep then I would think I could afford having the Elise as well ?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
A few years ago I did the World Class Driving thing and got to drive a GT3. To me, it was the closest to the Elise of any of the cars I drove.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I don't understand most of you trading from the Lotus to a P-car. It really is an unfair comparison because the Lotus is a true spartan sports car that is most like a race car. To me a Porsche is a sports car that people buy more for luxury and perhaps status...somewhat of an elitist group, whereas the Lotus is in the unique group.
No street sports car can compare to the responsiveness and pure feel of the Lotus....every other sports car has more "luxuries" that numb the driving experience.

All that being said, I went the other way around - got rid of an M6 and picked up a Spec Racer Ford to race, thanks to the inspiration of my Elise! Thanks Colin Chapman.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Geez. It seems like we have these discussions almost every month. The Lotus is great for what it is, and the Porsche is great for what it is. If you are fortunate enough like some of us on the forum to have both, you have a daily choice to make, depending on a whole lot of variables. One is not 'better' than the other, but they are each great for different purposes.

It is a little like tools in a toolbox. If you've only got one wrench, it probably would be good to get an adjustable wrench. If you can afford a whole set, then get one of every size and type.:shrug:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

Because this is the best damn car community in the world:cool: Ive got mine for sale, I will probably be going to an M roadster, or possibly a Maserati Gran-sport. I need something that I can drive every day, and still go to the track and have fun. Granted, neither of these cars will be as fun on a track, but they wont beat me up every day on my 30mile work commute.

I will never leave this forum. I love everyone here, even when we argue about politics rotfl

1 - 20 of 70 Posts