The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speedo needle is bouncing, cable most likely needs to be lubed. Has anyone disconnected it at the transmission pulled out the inner cable, cleaned, lubed and reinserted?

I was skeptical wether or not the inner cable would insert itself back into the speedo head. I know some have removed the cable at the speedometer and dripped lube into the housing but that requires unbolting the bin and I've been there...

Thanks,
Robert
'87 G-Car

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I might be the guinea pig for this attempt.... worst part is I'll have to pull the bin... OK asume the 'Lotus Position' :crazyeyes

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
You pull the inner cable out whichever way you can. Lay it on some newspaper. It should lay in a nice flat, wide circle circle with no bends, lumps, bumps, kinks, etc. The ends should not be frayed. If it is OK reinsert using speedometer cable lubricant. It is basically kerosene with powdered graphite. Very messy. If it still bounces make sure the outer cable is supported all along it's length and any turns are nice and wide.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
913 Posts
I was in the this exact same boat upon restoring my 88, I used my air compressor to blow the oil I put in the sheath up to the head, and I know it went up there because I had the binnacle loose since and there were traces of oil around the threads. Just put a rubber tube around the tranny end, then stick a air gun from a compressor in the tube after you fill it with oil and blow away. Then I put my cordless drill on it and spun the cable and watched the speedo start to even out. It still bounces only very slight at 0-about 5MPH now when I drive, but it used to do it all the time. So it is 1000% better. I dont know about taking the cable out of the sheath that might be difficult to re insert. And one of my least favorite Esprit things to do is re install that knurled nut for the cabe on the back of the speedo at the binnacle, mine never wants to thread on as its so tight with the cable and there is little slack to get your hand in there..

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,954 Posts
I have always lubricated the cable from the binnacle end (by unbolting both ends, withdrawing the core through the front, and lubricating with graphited lube as described by jtrealty)

For some reason, on the Esprit, I have had the best results re-connecting the tranny end LAST. Otherwise it is very frustrating to get everything properly engaged as amanda11270 has found out.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have the same problem with my 83. Two people told me the cable was bad, so I bought another speedo cable. My car is at the shop for a couple of other things & the mechanic checked it out, he says the cable is OK but there is a lot of play where the cable attaches to the tranny. He's looking to see if it can be fixed without dropping the tranny.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Esprit cable-driven speedometers are famous for doing that. I doubt it's the cable. It is probably the spinning magnet inside the speedometer that has moved too close to the mechanism inside the speedo itself. Problem happened twice on my son's 1990 Esprit. The second time I fixed it I put a drop of LockTite on the shaft of the speedo before pressing the magnet back on in the proper position. Fun repair. I have some photos somewhere.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Had the same problem with both my 84 Esprit and 70 MGBGT. Lubing the cable cleared up the problem in both instances.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
It is probably the spinning magnet inside the speedometer that has moved too close to the mechanism inside the speedo itself.
I believe it. Both my TR4 and my Stag have done this. I trip to a good instrument shop should cure it. I recommend APT in Bloomington Minnesota.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,954 Posts
Again, different Esprit's have different parts.

The Giugiaro models (like the OP's '87) had Smiths or Jaeger instruments. The Stevens cars had VDO until the S4s which had Caerbont (SP?), correct?

Anyway the WORST speedometers as far as binding, are the VDO brand I think. :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts