The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOOT! What fast shipping! Left Thailand 02/10 and arrived today!

Box shots! Updated rear light piece and speaker portion

Just waiting on the lights to come in and painting the parts!

Anyone know what paint color/brand/etc. to use to get a match for the lower door speaker parts?

Comments thus far..

1. VERY well packaged

2. NO VW indentation in the tail piece! YES! Saves me having to pay to have it filled!

3. Quality is very good, very, very smooth, no rough edges, etc.

4. Back side of light panel has metal inserts for attachment already installed! Nice touch!

5. Speaker parts are nice and thick and very good job on them

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
480 Posts
That is amazingly fast shipping, I ordered some leather scuffmaster from the UK and it took just over a week to get here. Don't foget pics when it's all done.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone know what paint color/brand/etc. to use to get a match for the lower door speaker parts?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gonna be mid april/may before the LED lights come in. .GROAN! anyone got a set laying around, even if non LED, they are not using which I could borrow till my LED ones come in?

Patience is not my strong suit...

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Physically it seems very, VERY SOLID. Definitely not thin. No flex..

Going to have to mungle up my own grills this weekend..

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went to install the door speaker parts. While the quality of them looks excellent, smooth, not flimsy, etc. alas am having fitment difficulties.

First, the horizontal and vertical edges on the right hand one are bowed inward and thus not straight edge. Have not taken off driver door yet though the driver (left) speaker part is much straighter on the edges than the right hand one. The fiberglass while not all that thick is very stiff to point will not simply bow back to straight.

While they will attach, due to the bowing they are not up or rearward enough on the door panel to clear when close the door. If they were plastic could bend enough or heat, etc.

Here are some pictures which I have sent off to UMB for a response.

Other than that the rest of the clearance, etc. looks good. Will have to move some wires in the door but nothing big.

If only I knew how to do fiberglass I could probably fix myself.. Hopefully they will reply back with a solution, ship another one, etc.

With MS Paint I crudely tried to show the bow, etc. very difficult to photograph though...

Attachments

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Is it possible to shoot a couple of screws on the bottom of the door into a backer plate placed inside of the door? So that it might flex enough to suck up the front and rear of the lower portion of the panel. Or is it so rigid that it does not flex at all?
Cal H

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Solved..

1. Trimmed some off, around 1/4" or so, see pic

2. Removed bolts from original part and attached with JB Kwik Weld and added 2 more bolts to suck up against panel. See photo for them

3. Attached shows but note the nuts are not yet tightened up

Last steps are

Paint
Make speaker ring, get speakers, amp and speaker grill

Overall while wish had fit out of the box am happy with how it looks and looking forward to much better tunes!

Right now the Sony deck is running the speakers (Focal speakers in dash and behind seats) and then a pathetic self powered sub behind passenger seat. Once done will mount new 5 channel amp in trunk and trash the pathetic self powered amp.

Havent 100% decided on door speakers as yet though am leaning toward DD 6.5" free air subs though may go with Focal component 6.5" sub/separate tweeter combo.

Pictures are crappy iphone photos

Attachments

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks! Pretty happy with my work thus far.. was gonna finish tomorrow (absent speaker/amp) but forgot am driving to OKC with the wife to see family...

:rolleyes:

:thwack:

:(

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.