The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
It'll simply take away from 911 sales, it actually doesn't look half bad.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'll tell you 'why' -- becuase it will be an excellent 'club sport' platform at a reasonable price.

If this comes to the U.S., it will be a winner for those who want to track with POC/PCA

It gives me some pause for thought on the Elise, as my primary interest is track days. Porsche club events provide the best organized racing venues on the West Coast (or at least in So Cal)

Elise is just to good to pass up, though...

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Just another Porshuh, who cares:D

So it's no longer a convertible? Looks a lot like a 911 or whatever they call the 911 nowadays.
Chris:p

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Autospies...now there is a quality internet magazine! No wonder various agencies have to watermark their images with "NOT FOR AUTOSPIES"...

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
I think it looks great, at least compared to the last Boxster, which was hideous. Now all they have to do is get rid of those ugly 996-ish headlights and bring back the 993 styling and they're set.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
I think you've missed the train, as far as knowing what Porsche is trying to do. Those aren't 996 style headlamps, as the Boxster originated that style. Instead, the 997 will have 993 style headlamps. The 911 and Boxster must look like completely different products in the new generation.

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Vantage said:
I think you've missed the train, as far as knowing what Porsche is trying to do.
I wasn't aware that I was trying to board a train, nor was I aware that I said "I know what Porsche is trying to do".

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
That's exactly right. Thus, you've missed the train. :p

Sorry if I offended you.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Looks excellent to me. I'm with Grudkin. It gives Porsche a platform to go 'light'. The 911 customer is demanding more and more luxury. They can focus this one towards minimal luxury and maximum performance.

It would make a pretty cool companion to my Elise. Frankly if it is not too much of a Porker, I may get one in a few years.

If I could only have one? The Elise, of course. :)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
The one thing that has taken away from the 911 lines (above and beyond the idiotic front end) is the loss of the 'hips' and the curves of the rear quarter. The 996 looks like a dove bar of soap on wheels.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
jml1952 said:
Looks like a Beetle to me!
911s can trace their roots to Beetles. Porsche designed the Beetle. The architecture is similar.

The 996 was a bit bland. But I've always felt the 911 looks like a frog anyway. The 997 is going to be a hit. It has all the right curves in place. Though I don't think the 911 will ever look as sexy as a mid-engine car.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I had a Boxster and was very happy with it. It was a great "touring" car IMO. It was sporty, didn't ride too bad, and had creature comforts. It was also, damn near bullet proof...didn't have any problems with it. It lacks punch though...not enough "umphh".

The Boxster coupe looks great. They were talking about AWD and 300 HP in an "S" model, but we'll see. They don't want to steal customers away from the 911.

If they made the Boxster a true track car (like the Elise) and add a luxury slant to the line (AKA bring back the 928 to compete with the new Aston Martin, etc.), then Porsche would have a nice line up (including the Cayenne).

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
P-car lineup is getting kind of crowded and tight, the Boxster S has poached from the low end 911's and this thing is bound to do more of the same. However, it does look a positive move toward the sporty side of sport car from Porsche who seems to be forgetting its roots in its recent behavior (no factory race team) and production (Cayenne)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts