The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boyd Coddington died today at age 63. I don't know any details.

He was a big influence in American car culture.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Hot rod manufacturer.
His shop is the shop in TLC/Discovery's "American Hot Rod" series.

Very sad indeed. He seemed like a very nice guy, and his product was great. What a shame.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I think I speak for a lot of us here when I say: who?
Custom car and hot rod maker.

His shop is featured in one of those Discovery (or TLC) shows, where the guys working in the shop are always fighting a deadline, pissed at each other, or whatever. Then Boyd comes in and yells at everyone.

The cars are cool and cost a small (actually large) fortune. He's been doing customizing cars for a long time, the "reality show" is rather new.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Yes, but you guys are missing his bread & butter business: wheels for Hot Rods.
:)

He's an icon/legend.
:(

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I was sad to hear the news this morning. Boyd was a legend and did a lot of the modern hot rod scene. I enjoyed his show and loved some of his creations. "Chezoom" is by far my favorite hot rod ever.

Boyd gave Chip Foose his start.
And Jesse James and a whole lot of other big names.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
His cars change hands a lot on Barrett-Jackson and other high-end auctions...looks like it will cost a little more to own one this year. RIP.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
His cars change hands a lot on Barrett-Jackson and other high-end auctions...looks like it will cost a little more to own one this year. RIP.
They are also the nicest ones in my opinion. He had a great eye for aesthetics. Sad to hear.

·
Registered
933 Posts
That sucks! Boyd created some awesome rods over the years. Big loss for all auto enthusiasts!

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I'm no hot-rod guy, but you have to admit this car is cool:

The Alumatub and Whattheheye were cool too. He had a great eye and sense of style.

·
Registered
72 Posts
that's not a very auto-enthusiastic thing to say... he was a jerk though but had lots of talent.
Did you know him? He was portrayed as a bit of a jerk on the TV show, but a couple of people I know that have dealt with him personally said he seemed like a nice guy. A buddy and I stopped by his shop about 5 years ago to look around and he talked cars with us for about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
yeah the show made him look like a jerk. I've never met him so I can't say if it was true or not. On the show he didn't really do much with the cars, all he did was set crazy deadlines and yell. I think he also had a falling out with Foose?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts