1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
The carbon fiber battery is called that because of it's case. The internals (and performance) are the same as the Braille B106 battery.

B106 battery: 6 lb, 6 oz. $140
B106 carbon fiber battery: two weights are claimed. one at 6 lbs even, another at 6 lb, 6 oz., $220

At most you're shedding 6 oz for $80. Is it really worth it? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Currently I used this on my Elise. The cranking amp seem normal for now. I got this from Sec111 for $150.
The Sector111 battery is a Braille B14115. IMHO from previous accounts of this battery on the board, it is too small and prone to going dead if you let it sit for a week. A trickle charger is mandatory and recommended by Sector111.

I'd recommend a Braille B2015 instead. Slightly larger, much more durable. I've had no problems after running it for a year. I seldom trickle charge it. Has held charge for over a month without use.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I've used the same Braille for more than 16 months, and it's just easier to secure than the large stock battery with the clamp Sector 111 supplies with it, which is it's main attraction. The stock battery leaked, which many others have reported here, and it won't. Some have even had rear shells damaged due to larger batteries becoming detached.

I do keep a Battery Tender on the Braille with the permanently-mounted plug-in cable routed through the rear louvers. If the car sits for more than a week, it's a good idea to do that as they don't like to be fully discharged and are more likely to fail that way. It takes less than 15 seconds to plug it in.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks JnC, I'd rather go with a non-CF one anyway. I want to get rid of the stock because I prefer dry or AGMs.

I'll look at the B2015 as well. Does the Sector111 bracket work for it or does another solution exist?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I'll look at the B2015 as well. Does the Sector111 bracket work for it or does another solution exist?
The Sector111 bracket can be made to work, but you'll need to use a large washer under the base of it where it mounts to the car, and put some 1/4" weatherstripping foam adhered to the bracket to snug it to the bracket and trunk firewall.

I'll see if I can remember to take and post of pic of it this evening.

It's also been said that Braille batteries are simply relabeled Deka batteries. Deka appears to be an OEM of absorbed glass mat technology batteries, and their prices can be significantly less than Braille (about 1/2).

Odyssey is another battery manufacturer that is very popular.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts