The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know the uberthread contains links to these adjustments, and i'm assuming most of you with 05's have already done it, but for a relative n00b to lotus, i thought i'd remind others like me or people that have yet to make the adjustments to DO IT YESTERDAY!!

i first noticed an issue when i was going through my engine bay and saw a lot of slack in my throttle cable. i'd always been frustrated with the dead space on my accelerator, especially since it made heel/toe basically impossible, due to the low position of the brake pedal under load and the high position of the accelerator with said dead space to boot. i decided to finally do a little research and find out if i was the only one - big kudos to lotustalk for solving my problem!! i can now heel/toe with ease, since my brake pedal is positioned higher (i had a LOT of room to move up to the 3mm of minimum pedal/rubber stop clearence) and my throttle is now lower and instantly responsive (due mainly to the requisite 3mm of slack, which used to be much, much more)

some have mentioned the most benefit from just adjusting the brake, along with eliminating throttle cable slack and subsequent accelerator pedal stop adjustment. for me, the throttle pedal height adjustment, placing it much lower, was the single largest benefit for me, since i like to be close to the steering wheel when racing, and am somewhat tall (6'2")

i found these sources most useful:

brake
Lotus Elise Maintenance, Brake Pedal Height Adjustment
Lotus Elise Maintenance, Adjusting the Brake Light Switch
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/brake-pedal-revisted-again-11013/index4.html

accelerator pedal/throttle cable
Lotus Elise Maintenance, Adjusting Pedal Height
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/throttle-cable-adjustment-40664/

here are the parts i used:
M8x25 hex head bolt w/ nut and nyloc [accelerator pedal downstop]
M5x12 hex head bolt w/ 3 washers and nyloc [accelerator pedal upstop]
17mm & 10mm open ended wrenches [brake pedal adjustment]
2 x 17mm open ended wrenches [throttle cable adjustment]
2 x 1/2 combo wrenches [accelerator pedal downstop]

i also had an issue with a rotating accelerator pedal, due to the nut having come loose. i replaced it with a nyloc, and using an 8mm combo wrench & 8mm gear wrench, locked it down tight.

it's very uncomfortable down there, so be sure to bring your parts (and patience!) with you. i guarantee it'll be worth it in the end, if heel/toe is your thing :)

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Just wanted to add a note: if you are between clicks on the brake light switch adjustment after adjusting the pedla (meaning one more click is too much, one less click is too little), then you can take a pair of pliers and bend the brake light switch bracket a tiny smidge.

This allowed me to get an extra "click" of adjustment out of the switch so that the brake lights come on immediately.

Might tackle the throttle adjustment later, but didn't want to mess with it before tomorrow's trackday. Brake adjustment feels like it's going to be sufficient.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have a 05 Exige. I couldn't make heel and toe due to a too high acceleretor pedal position. I adjusted only the height of the brake pedal like explained in the link here above. Now the pedals are in the right position.
Very easy to do.

·
Less is Better
2,371 Posts
After way too long (three years) I finally got around to adjusting the throttle cable. With the help of @Apex_in_sno, we dropped it down to the height recommended in the service manual. It's so much easier to roll over to the throttle now that the throttle is slightly lower than the brake. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
After way too long (three years) I finally got around to adjusting the throttle cable. With the help of @Apex_in_sno, we dropped it down to the height recommended in the service manual. It's so much easier to roll over to the throttle now that the throttle is slightly lower than the brake. I highly recommend it.

If you haven't already, check out the clutch stop adjustment bolt mod, too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Less is Better
2,371 Posts
After playing with the stop a bit, I found that I preferred the throttle up stop to be about 6mm thick instead of 7mm recommended by Lotus. It doesn't sound like much but it brings the throttle pedal to about even with the brake when pressing on the brake. I did it by adding a little, thin piece of plastic sheet to the end of the bolt head with a little 3m weatherstrip adhesive (it's a strong contact cement) to keep the head of the bolt from marring the landing surface on the pedal. Notice the condition of the throttle stop in the Sands Museum page. And one washer under the head of the bolt. Now I don't have to roll nearly as much on healntoe and get a good amount of throttle without much effort. Works great.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts