The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw the pics in the December Car and Driver. Holy mother of god is that car ugly with that tumor sticking out on the panel below the windshield. Apparently, it's to make room for the brake booster on the US-spec car. Ugh.

My initial reaction was: cancel my order ... or let's do without ABS. Can't the designers come up with a better looking solution on a $40,000 automobile?

The R&T silver car didn't have it. What gives?

Please Lotus, say it aint so!

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I wonder why they didnt stick it under the raised area that is between the two panels instead? In the attached photo it looks like the master cylinder is on the other side, but this could be a euro model where it would have made more sense to put it on the left side. Since we havent seen the US version with the extra oiler cooler and a/c stuff maybe their just wasnt enough room under there. I will gladly delete the heater core to make up the space. The fusebox could also be relocated and made into a panel under the passenger footwell or behind the drivers seat to make more room too. If they made the oilcooler part of the roof or rear rollbar area like on the Exige (OK its an airvent on the Exige) it would save space too and look awesome.

I think Chris or Jeff or one of the guys who drove a Fed version said it didnt have it on the car they drove. But maybe they just had a car that was testing the engine only, and not the new brakes.

Maybe we can find out before the Auto show, but I doubt it-

Calling Secret Agent Modern Wedgie, did you notice any buldges on the covered car when you were at the factory or cant you say? Did they threatned to put you to #300 on the list if you tell!!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
The brake booster isn't because of ABS, it's because of the increase in the wieght of a the car - that's my interpretation. I've read a couple of posts that seem to say that with the car edging closer to 2k that there needed to be more braking power.

But you're right - it looks likes a freaking cancer tumour. i'm not going to cancel my order because of it but I know that's going to be one of the first questions people ask... What's that thing????

Can't they just hide it somewhere else?

·
Registered
687 Posts
lateapex said:
[...]
The R&T silver car didn't have it. What gives?

Please Lotus, say it aint so!
The silver car was NOT a U.S. car. The car was used just for the pictures.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Darn! I need to see that picture. :mad:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I just saw a picture of the 'bulge'. It looks ok. More streamlined than the nightmare I was envisioning. Functional appearing, imo.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If the S2 Exige pictures (which also has ABS) are anything to go by then the final production car going to the US won't have this 'bulge'.

See the picture here on the forum and lok carefully a the panels (the small access hatch is probably there becuase the S2 exige is also a development car at the moment) and see no bulge:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=8195

The new Exige front clam design shows that the access panels are mounted much more horizontally than on the current euro S2 versions. This creates more space under the panels and probably removes the need for this 'bulge'..

You can also see small side-vents in the center 'bar' running to the windscreen on the S2 exige.

Most of the pictures on US cars you see now are still mules. Technical 'try out' cars for Lotus to test different parts and solutions that may or may not end up in the final car.

The real body shape is probably one of the last items to be finalized, as it's a separate GRP body and thus easy to change without affecting the technical deisgn of the car underneath.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
HI All,
The Aztec bronze US test car I drove didn't have the bulge. Was also told this car was pretty close to what the production car would be like. My guess is the bulge was on an earlier test car, of course that's rabid speculation on my part.

The Elise that had the bulge on the left side of the hood pictured in C&D and R&T, I'm guessing it's the same car.

Chris

·
Registered
426 Posts
This issue got me so upset, I had to register to vent. I'm a lurker and this is my first post.
Hot rodders sometimes use "Remote Boosters" for their brakes that can be located anywhere on the car, even the trunk. Lets hope Lotus chooses this route for the federal Elise.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Ugh.... they DO realize that adding the booster only increases the weight MORE!!! I'd much rather see them spend their money and efforts in creative weight loss than crap like this.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Yep.

The word circulating is that the car needed power brakes once the car got closer to 2000 .lbs. But shaving 300 .lbs would cost a lot more for both them and for us in the final product (and still including everything they want to).

Joetz,
Where would you rather have them put it?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
ABS without a brake-booster seems to be a big technical issue.

So by including ABS in the new car (mostly driven by new road regulations requiring this) they have to put in a brake booster too.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
302 Posts
ABS is a nice commodity for track and autox use with lighter race tires. I've seen many Hoosiers flat spotted when the grip was less than expected. Maybe the new steel belted Hoosiers won't have this problem.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I get a little irritated with people complaining about the weight of this car. I think people need to understand two things.

2000lbs is extremely light for a street car these days.

The elise is a compromise. if you want a light car and thats all that you care about, get an old lotus 7, or maybe a westfield. Its lighter than the elise, (1400lbs) the westfiled is faster than the elise, and routinely beats the elise on the track at sprints and hill climbs in the UK.

I saw a lotus 7 on the 405 freeway in LA a few months ago, so you should be able to get one on the road over here.

I know what a westfield in particular is like to drive, and I will take the refinement, and the extra weight, of the elise every time. The lotus engineers know that they want this car to be as light as possible. Every pound they add is added with good reason.

People say that they need the car to be 1600lbs or 1700lbs with no comprehension of what using a car of that king of weight is like. Wait till the car is here and you've driven it for a couple of months, then go out and drive a westfield and come back and tell us which car you'd rather have.

Steve

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Here's a link to the C&D article from another Elise forum:

And here's a picture of the tumor :) :

Lotus, if you're reading this, find another way to lose that tumor. It's a like a wart on a supermodel's nose.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Good to hear Clyde, thanks! If you're able to disclose, how has that altered the vents are they just not as deep or did they have to increase in size to maintain proper air flow?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts