The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the front side air intakes have an actual purpose or are they faux like the S2k? could they be air for some rotor cooling? who knows?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think I remember reading somewhere that they were faux on previous Elise models, but now feed air to the two oil coolers on the Fed car.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The ducts are prior models were fake like the S2000. The S2000 needs brake cooling so soon after I bought the S2000 I had ducts fitted and they helped tremendously.

As the person noted above, the ducts are now used for the twin oil coolers on the Fed car.

Truthfully, the Elise doesn't really need brake cooling. With the addition of braided hoses, upgraded pads and good fluid you will be set for any track event.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
The oil coolers are located right in front of each front tire.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I guess there is some serious oil and coolant plumbing in this car. I wonder how easy it is to gain access to the tubes/pipes running through the sills in the case of a leak.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I doubt your tubes in the sills will leak - they will probably leak at the connection points if anything. But yes - there are lots of oil and coolant lines running back and forth through the sills. That's one of the reasons the cars can be hot!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I guess the car will hold a lot of oil (I guess it could hold a few quarts of oil in all that tubing and radiators). That will be good for a hig revving hard working engine. The down side is when you change the oil you will be leaving a good amount of oil in the system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts