The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick Q-
What color should new brake fluid be? I just picked up a new 09 and the dealer told me they changed the fluid, but it's a caramel/dark brown (at least when viewed through the container). Is this normal? Or is this likely old fluid?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'd check to see what it looks like viewed directly by taking the cap off. It somewhat depends on the brand, but normally a darker brown color = old fluid.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
It's always been clear and I have used many brands.

Changing brake fluid seems like one of those things mechanics charge for without doing.

I bought one of those sucker-type bleeders and it's easy to do my own quickly now.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I will definitely be doing it myself next time.
I didn't have a way to clean the container yesterday so I didn't take the cap off.
But looking at TyreeZtt's photos (of his damaged front end), his brake fluid looks quite dark as well... not sure how old his is though.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I just changed mine a few weeks ago, it was really dark and I know it hadn't been changed in at least a couple years. I used valvoline synthetic to first flush everything out, and then filled it with Motul 600. A bit of overkill, but I wanted to make sure it was clean given how dark the fluid was. Both of those fluids were a clear amber. I know there are also some tinted fluids out there, but not tinted dark brown.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
If you alternate brake fluid colors you can see if all the fluid has been bled.

On the Elise/Exige don't forget to bleed the clutch once a year. Same reservoir.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, great info. I will check to see how dark it is with the cap off, and will change it after the winter (storing the car now anyway).

I did buy from a Lotus dealer, so I would be surprised if they did not change it, but I don't trust car dealers... among the worst reputation of any business (next to insurance cos)... but that's another topic!
But I did like the dealer I got it from, so hopefully they are different...
(Not that they even bothered to clean the brake fluid container though...uggh!)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Huh??
You think comments like that add value?!
Why don't you save yourself some time that you'll never get back and only contribute if you have something valuable to say.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
fluid can be, and is, any color - no matter - it should be "particulate free" and not "cloudy" some fluid is blue'ish (mmm windshield washer flavor!), some clear'ish (totally boring and vanilla), some yellowish (like ibex urine) - ...never seen brown'ish though.

also, even if you bleed the brakes, but don't "flush" the reservoir. the fluid in the new reservoir could then become dirty.

·
Wow Such Admin
6,945 Posts
clearish, yellow.

It probably looks dirty because of the reservior being dirty on the outside.

I just did mine a couple weeks ago for what I believe is the first time on my new to me 05. The old fluid was nasty!

·
Premium Member
7,178 Posts
Clear to VERY faint yellow or blue.
Anything looking like coke, tea, etc is old. They BS'd you and I'd call them on it!!!

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Huh??
You think comments like that add value?!
Why don't you save yourself some time that you'll never get back and only contribute if you have something valuable to say.
Sensitive aren't we?

Here, I'll contribute this: www.lotustalk.com/forums/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=8159

You got duped because you think a Lotus dealership is somehow more honest because it's a Lotus dealership... right...

-PT Barnum.

Go bleed your brakes or have them done if you don't know how to do it yourself.

·
Premium Member
12,090 Posts
All roaddad did was point out your naivety.

He wasn't the only one who found that post funny.

BF turns dark when the water it has absorbed (it is hygroscopic, after all) starts attacking the rubber seals.

Those particulates turn it dark.

OK?

I use, love, Castrol LMA. Recently saw a local NJ BMW CCA test where even old LMA had a good, high boiling point.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
All roaddad did was point out your naivety.

He wasn't the only one who found that post funny.

BF turns dark when the water it has absorbed (it is hygroscopic, after all) starts attacking the rubber seals.

Those particulates turn it dark.

OK?

I use, love, Castrol LMA. Recently saw a local NJ BMW CCA test where even old LMA had a good, high boiling point.
higher wet boiling point than ibex urine? shenanigans!!!

·
Premium Member
7,178 Posts
:rolleyes:Be cool dudes, he was asking a question, and for a change io gac=ve a straight uncolored answer..........

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I alternate between clear and blue. That way you know when all the old fluid has been flushed.
But they don't make the ATE super blue in clear -poke-

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wanted to post a follow-up on this -- what no one mentioned was that the brake fluid goes dark very quickly after a flush because of the hydaulic clutch that it shares fluid with.

So for all those posters who said I was a "sucker" or that the dealer lied to me; once again, don't post if you really don't have a clue what you're talking about.

For reference, look at the Sands Museum brake flush tutorial.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts