The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone's brake fluid just get low on its own? There are no leaks or anything. I noticed my pedal was feeling off and so I checked and it was close to the min level mark. Never noticed it that low.

If I want to top it off, what should I use?

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Assuming you are not on track, I really like Castrol (used to be know as LMA - low moist absorption).

Fluid goes down if you start wearing down your pads. Makes sense, right??

·
Administrator
2,040 Posts
Looks dark when was the last time you flushed and or had it tested? Use the opportunity to properly flush and get your PM done!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been about 5k miles. I had it done when I upgraded the CMC.

I get it's a bit dirty but it's still decent. It looks darker in the picture than it is

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Good point!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Assuming you are not on track, I really like Castrol (used to be know as LMA - low moist absorption).

****, that totally makes sense. Should have thought about that!! Lol sometimes the easiest answers are the ones you don't think about.

It's about time to change out my pads and rotors. I'll wait to top it off till I'm done changing those and then I'll see if the level gets better.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
When you remove the pads and push the pistons back into the calipers, the fluid level will return to the reservoir. Good time to flush the system too.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
That fluid is not "decent". Discoloration means oxidation. That reservoir looks like the first squirt of my calipers after a day I roasted the fluid.... Full bleed needed if reservoir that bad. Wait until you see the stuff in the lines!!!

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
Dark b/f is typically a sign of rubber seal deterioration caused by those seal coming into contact with water (absorbed by b/f. I usually see it when owners haven't changed their b/f in years.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dark b/f is typically a sign of rubber seal deterioration caused by those seal coming into contact with water (absorbed by b/f. I usually see it when owners haven't changed their b/f in years.
I change my B/F regularly. last year it was changed twice. Both times because of failed CMC. the first time it was stock, then about 3 months in, the OEM one failed again and so I replaced it with aftermarket. so I am like 6 months in.

I'm not driving for the foreseeable future so i'll just let it sit here and change out the brake pads and rotors. As soon as I am driving around, I'll take it in and get it flushed.

·
Premium Member
11,891 Posts
You can do a great job by following my instructions.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
I have experienced a batch of old brake fluid, bad seal on bottle. It can fail MUCH more quickly. Just a thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts