The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at the track someone noticed that my brake lights weren't working - upon inspection the fuse under the front access panel was blown. I replaced and it popped immediately upon pressing the pedal. Things we looked at/tried:

- Disconnected all rear lights at the wiring harness near the battery to remove them from the equation. Same issue

- Parking lights and blinkers are just fine

- 2006 Exige so LED tails

- Looked at the switch at the brake pedal and it looks totally solid.

I'm not exactly sure when it worked last (don't look at my tails much) but 3 weeks ago I did have data logging setup for my Traqmate. I tapped the center rear tail light and ran a line to the dash. Removed all that and same issue.

Also of note - last night I left the car on my tender as I've been bad about letting my Braile run so low it won't start the car. This morning it was toast - no electrical power at all. Ran to Frank's house to pick up his battery and swapped it in real quick. Everything else on the car is working fine (well electrically anyway).

I'm going to start going through the wiring diagram and testing stuff with a meter tomorrow (or as soon as VulcanGrey can give a hand). Just wanted to throw all this out there to see if anyone had seen anything similar or has any thoughts. I'm not very strong with electrical systems so this should be a good learning experience.

-Ross

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well since no one offered any input I'll answer my own question.

After VulcanGray coming over (thanks again Travis) we start going through all the possibilities to figure out where the short was. Travis was busy with the multimeter when I used a different ocular tool - my eyes. Bingo, there it is - when I put my rear clam back on the wire got pinched between the body and frame. It had finally rubbed through the protective sheath and then the wires. Fortunately the wires weren't actually broken so I just tapped it back up.

So once again totally my fault - maybe one day I'll learn...

Love this place - you ask a difficult question and you get nothing but you post a picture of a riced out Civic and you get 4 pages in a day :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts