The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Esprit share parts with Ford for the brake light switch? About a year ago my wife and I went to Lewisburg PA to go to this restuarant she like there, its about 50 miles from us. On our way there a guy in a two lane stretch of road at a red light, tells me I have no brake lights. Last night, my wife and I went to the same restaurant, and another guy in the same stretch of road but a different red light tells me I have no brake lights. It was like deja vu to say the least.

A year ago I dug into it, and found the brake light switch says FORD on it, and crosses to a Festiva. I took it out and metered it out, tests fine, reinstalled it and it was fine, but im thinking I should replace it now, who knows how many times someone hasnt told me I have no brake lights, when I test it, it of course works and the lights come on. But I did physically see it not work a year ago in the car, and it was definitely either faulty or out of adjustment. It is adjustable it seems by the pedal.

Do I have the wrong switch?

·
Registered
35 Posts
It may not be the switch

I had a similar problem but the problem did not improve with a factory switch replacement, after I researched it I found this article.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/brake-pedal-doesnt-return-all-way-back-sometimes-101989/

The switch is adjustable to meet the pedal but if that doesn't work you could try this fix... I wound up using a bungee cord wrapped around the pedal and brake light switch bracket... problem solved.

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
4,033 Posts
Does the Esprit share parts with Ford for the brake light switch? [snip]A year ago I dug into it, and found the brake light switch says FORD on it, and crosses to a Festiva. [snip]Do I have the wrong switch?
Cripes - I can't find the brake switch (expecting it on the master cylinder on my 88). And my factory 88-92 book does not list it in the JD section on brakes.

Can you tell me where the switch is located? I can take a picture and see what I got.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have the opposite problem, my brake light switch is overly sensitive and comes on at the least movement, to the point that people have asked me if I'm riding the brake.

The brake light switch on my car is on the brake pedal arm where Tom mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
4,033 Posts
Isnip]The brake light switch on my car is on the brake pedal arm where Tom mentioned.
Lemme see if I can twist myself under to take a shot; otherwise, I'll stick camera in the general vicinity and keeping snapping until something good shows up :facepalm

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have the opposite problem, my brake light switch is overly sensitive and comes on at the least movement, to the point that people have asked me if I'm riding the brake.

The brake light switch on my car is on the brake pedal arm where Tom mentioned.
mine was the same way, I had to assume the Lotus position and adjust it. I'd come out into the garage at times, and the brake lights would be on... The pedal would bleed down just a little, and it'd set with the brake lights on.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,088 Posts
The brake lights staying on is a common Esprit problem over all years,

More than once we have fixed them "on the road" with a large cable tie, to hold the switch in place more securely.

It's the type of switch that turns the lights on when the pedal arm moves AWAY from the switch. So if it comes adrift your lights stay on and run down the battery.

Get in the habit of looking back at your car after you park. Just to admire it....and make sure "all systems are shut down".

PS, It's good that Stevens cars have Toyota taillight assemblies. If they were GM housings, the hot bulbs would melt the plastic socket surroundings. (Make SURE you check this before buying a Caddy Allante, BTW...LOL)

·
Registered
327 Posts
oh, and the interior light stays on too if the passengers door is opened and the switches aren't fiddled with before closing. I've chalked it up as part of the Lotus experiance.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,088 Posts
oh, and the interior light stays on too if the passengers door is opened and the switches aren't fiddled with before closing. I've chalked it up as part of the Lotus experience.
I have to fiddle with my switch if I want the light to come ON when I open the driver's door.

I must have it wired wrong...LOL.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is definitely bad, lights dont come on often, snapped a photo of it for you guys. It makes a sizzle sound when it is energized.

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,088 Posts
Thanks for the picture, Mark.

The Esprit Cross-Reference List that Dr. Hess started (and I update, when I remember) lists the Echlin SL341 as a replacement, available at NAPA.

++++++++++++++

For those who are un-aware, the X-ref list is available on the Yahoo TurboEsprit mail-group Files section.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dont mean to make this thread so long, but I actually popped the switch apart and the contacts in it were dirty. I polished them up and put some die-electric grease on them and wallah! I will have to check it when I leave my garage to make sure it continues to work, but it seems to work perfectly now, no more sizzling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts