The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After searching 26 pages of posts I was unable to find the information I am looking for to diag this problem, wish Alldata had support for this car at times ha ha.

My 2005 Elise isnt illuminating any of the brake lights, 3rd or rear. I am looking for a wiring schematic to see the flow so I can pin point the location of my problem. From the bit of reading i have done, I feel I may be tracing it back to the switch pack module (which is exactly why I want to see a schem.)

For those who enjoy a puzzle or might have prior experience, what I have confirmed thus far is the 7.5a fuse for the brake system has continuity, the leads for the fuse have 10v going across them, the brake switch on the larger tabs of the switch have continuity when closed and ol when open, I see the wiring for the switch is 2 wire, thus the other two tabs (likely for cruise control application in other cars) aren't used. For fun I checked every single bulb, all being good (shocker there.) So somewhere along the lines signal isnt being sent out. I hopped on the forum figuring there was some kind of bcm that would distribute body features, the switch pack sounds like it could be the culprit.

Please let me know, as the sheriff's out in these parts are apparently looking for the small things in life to make big deals out of. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How fast I can stumble across proper information, an owner's manual probably would of helped but I never got one with the car. I found that the brake lamp's work off of a 10 amp fused circuit, that being said I found a blown 10 amp fuse. Of course replacing the fuse got me 2 seconds of braking before the fuse blew again, so I am still in need of a schematic to track down the high feed in the line creating my issue. Just thought I would give an update to those interested.

After searching 26 pages of posts I was unable to find the information I am looking for to diag this problem, wish Alldata had support for this car at times ha ha.

My 2005 Elise isnt illuminating any of the brake lights, 3rd or rear. I am looking for a wiring schematic to see the flow so I can pin point the location of my problem. From the bit of reading i have done, I feel I may be tracing it back to the switch pack module (which is exactly why I want to see a schem.)

For those who enjoy a puzzle or might have prior experience, what I have confirmed thus far is the 7.5a fuse for the brake system has continuity, the leads for the fuse have 10v going across them, the brake switch on the larger tabs of the switch have continuity when closed and ol when open, I see the wiring for the switch is 2 wire, thus the other two tabs (likely for cruise control application in other cars) aren't used. For fun I checked every single bulb, all being good (shocker there.) So somewhere along the lines signal isnt being sent out. I hopped on the forum figuring there was some kind of bcm that would distribute body features, the switch pack sounds like it could be the culprit.

Please let me know, as the sheriff's out in these parts are apparently looking for the small things in life to make big deals out of. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once I was able to successfully locate the correct fuse path and replace, upon blowing the next fuse I tracked the scent into the trunk where I found the below wiring and connector/fused link melt underneath the foam padding. (Im guessing this might have to do with the previous owners exploded battery.) With that being said I am posting pictures for identity of the part I am needing as now with it cut out I have no rear lights, so I assume this is a fused link for the entire system.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took a stab that it could be one of the obscure fused links that were found in some of the Saab's I have seen, plastic connection with fused link running through it (figured they used a gm brake switch, why not weird saab fused links.)

Regardless, what does that harness connection normally go to, or is it just an unused connector for another vehicle that uses this rear harness. Now that i have the leads taped off and tucked, plugged everything back in for a recheck and I have brakes in both inner rear tail lamps, turn signals and parking lamps are all functioning as well. Situation is handled, but just puzzled on what that belongs to.

No, it's not a "fused link", it is simply a wiring connector.
Michael

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I took a stab that it could be one of the obscure fused links that were found in some of the Saab's I have seen, plastic connection with fused link running through it (figured they used a gm brake switch, why not weird saab fused links.)

Regardless, what does that harness connection normally go to, or is it just an unused connector for another vehicle that uses this rear harness. Now that i have the leads taped off and tucked, plugged everything back in for a recheck and I have brakes in both inner rear tail lamps, turn signals and parking lamps are all functioning as well. Situation is handled, but just puzzled on what that belongs to.
The brake lights are not connected to the "SPM". The connector is simply a splice to the other brake light.
Michael

1 - 10 of 10 Posts