The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title states... I noticed that the brake lights work only when ignition is on. Is this normal to Lotus (I have 07 Exige S) or I need to see the dealer? Seems to be unsafe.
On every car I had they are on whenever you put your foot on the brake, regardless of the key position.
Could somebody educate me?

Thanks.

·
Registered
853 Posts
You correct on both counts. Lotus and many other british cars only operate brake lights when the key is on.

As for main stream cars the brake light comes on with no key until the pedal if fully pumped and can no longer drop down far enough to actuate the switch at the pedal.

·
Registered
853 Posts
This is British.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just make sure your ignition is on when driving...problem solved. :D

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Maybe there are situations where you would like to apply the brake lights while the ignition is off but I am not sure how useful that is.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe there are situations where you would like to apply the brake lights while the ignition is off but I am not sure how useful that is.
There're situations when you may need it: i.e. parked in the dark, rolling the car without turning the ignition on. I think it is the issue of safety, otherwise why all other car manufacturers I know off have that feature in their vehicles?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
There're situations when you may need it: i.e. parked in the dark, rolling the car without turning the ignition on. I think it is the issue of safety, otherwise why all other car manufacturers I know off have that feature in their vehicles?
Well, the headlights and parking lights can be turned on without a key... that would probably be even safer. Are you worried about someone tailgating you while you're braking hard with the ignition off? -poke-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts