The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Nein Kinder
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the front calipers from my 2011 Lotus Elise to paint them. The cross-feed brake line is fixed to the end of the caliper body with silicone (presumably to prevent vibration fatigue of the tubing). Since paint won't stick to the silicone, I removed the line and the silicone for painting. Once the calipers are painted, I'll replace the cross-feed line and fix it with silicone to the caliper body.

On disassembly, I noticed that a hard, translucent blue substance came off the junction of the brake line fittings and the caliper. There was also a substantial amount of this substance between the fitting and the line (but none in the female threads). It appears that a sealer was applied to the fitting after it was installed. Whatever this stuff is, it was applied by Lotus or AP Racing. Any ideas what the material is and it's purpose?

My understanding of compression fittings is that thread sealer is contraindicated - the threads don't seal (and wouldn't hold high pressure anyway), the sealing surface does the work.

Glen

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Loctite so the fitting doesn't loosen. It's sealed by the flare fitting, the threads just hold the flare tight and don't seal anything.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts