The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a low-mileage 2008 Exige that I purchased 2 years ago. I have noticed that during normal braking or pump-braking the brakes grip fine. But when I have to do some sustained/emergency braking the front brakes seem to grip at first and then feel like they "slip" and loose grip and make a "clunk" "clunk" "clunk" noise/feel as the rotors turn. The car does stop but I feel like it stops a bit late for the speed and it pulls to the drivers side. The car appears to have AP Racing brakes in the front and some no-name brakes in the back (not sure if that is a stock setup or not). I had the Toyota mechanic that has been working on my MR2 and other cars for years check the brakes out and he said the pads/rotors look fine. I have driven other vehicles with ABS and they still feel like they grip all the way to a standstill but my Exige does not. Any ideas? Thanks for any input.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
When's the last time you changed the brake fluid ??

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the car only has 10k on it and i have not changed the fluid yet. there does not appear to be evidence of leakage anywhere and the pedal does not ride to the floor as i would expect with problems with the master cylinder.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Your problem sounds like typical operation of the ABS on this car. It doesn't just happen in hard braking, but on moderate braking on a bumpy road surface. One of the bad things about our ABS is that it doesn't try to recover grip without you releasing the brake pedal most of the way (which you need to get in the habit of doing when you notice the lack of braking). On my other cars that have ABS, the ABS unit rapidly checks to see if the tire has got grip again (even while the pedal is being continuously pressed hard) and allow that wheel to brake again. Ours does not do that. I don't know if that is an intrinsic fault of the ABS unit Lotus chose, or if Lotus set the parameters in the ABS controller unit to behave this way. I am dissappointed in the Lotus ABS design and operation.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
the car only has 10k on it and i have not changed the fluid yet. there does not appear to be evidence of leakage anywhere and the pedal does not ride to the floor as i would expect with problems with the master cylinder.
You should be changing the brake fluid about every year on this car, two years on the outside (it is in the maintenance schedule). Even if it isn't leaking, it absorbs moisture from the air, and water in your brake fluid is bad (the water boils when the fluid is hot, leading to loss of braking, and it corrodes the brake system).

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
Yearly change of brake and clutch fluid is a must. Also add yearly tranny fluid change to the schedule. Every third track event also dictates brake fluid change.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys. I was afraid there was something wrong with the brake system. I had to replace the radiator at five thousand miles when it cracked while driving on the highway. Something going wrong with the brake system would have been just dandy. The synch in second gear has just gone out but will wait until I get back from Korea to change it, as I am thinking of going to the rev400 or switch to a turbocharger. I just skip second gear when shifting. I have already sunk a third of what I have invested in my mr2 for mechanical failures over 20 yrs and 167,000 miles, but I still wouldnt trade it. It is so much fun to drive. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts