The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my front right caliper appears to have seized today. Rotor is scraped to hell and the pad is chewing the metal backing plate while the other 3 wheels have a solid quarter of an inch left. I was planning on doing pads and rotors this winter but it looks like my timeline just got moved up to immediately now and I have two main questions.

My original intent was OEM rotors and Pagid Blue RS pads which I've used before and love. That being said, OEM rotors are apparently expensive as hell. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good deal on OEM or an equivalent? I'm not opposed to an aftermarket option but it would have to be equal to or better than OEM. Most threads I've found on parts and options are several years old and vendors/pricing is significantly different from what I've seen discussed so if anyone has some recent advice I'm all ears.

Secondly, does anyone have experience on rebuilding a front caliper? A search of old threads makes it sound like the rears are a nightmare but the fronts are pretty straight forward. If that is the case does anyone have a suggestion on where to get the rebuild kit? So far all I've found is this, would that be all I need or if it's already seized and gone will I likely need more?

I'm going to start tearing it down in the next day or so and will report back with what I find once I get the offending caliper taken off. Overall I'm looking for the cheapest way to get it back to OEM + Pagids but if there is a cost effective alternative I'm open to suggestions, just not looking to spend money on an unplanned upgrade.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Check these out at Blackwatch Racing:

Slotted rotors are better than drilled... BWR also have front & rear rebuild kits.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Ultimax but I try to support site vendors when able... BWR has been great to deal with for me.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the cost is within $20 but the eliseparts rebuild kit looks better. BWR is piecemeal and doesn't include pistons.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice. One final thing, does anyone know of a good writeup on how to rebuild the front calipers? I know the general theory of it but a step by step guide would be very helpful.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Rebuilding those front calipers is easier than bleeding them. Just pop out the pistons with a little compressed air and everything will be clear.

The BOE caliper mod is the ticket if you don't like to drive yourself crazy trying to bleed them.

Rebuilding the rears is like solving the rubics cube.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rebuilding those front calipers is easier than bleeding them. Just pop out the pistons with a little compressed air and everything will be clear.

The BOE caliper mod is the ticket if you don't like to drive yourself crazy trying to bleed them.

Rebuilding the rears is like solving the rubics cube.

So force out the pistons, pull the seals out and then I'm assuming that the new seals will be very straightforward in how to put them back? What's the BOE caliper mod? While I expect bleeding them after a rebuild to be a pain is it really that bad if you have a pressure bleeder? Also, any tips to keep the brake line from dumping fluid all over the entire time the caliper is off? I tried zip tying a latex glove over the open line and then zip tying it vertically to the hub it it still dumped like a pint of fluid in an hour.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
I jam a small cap thingy (pic of a selection from a hardware store assortment) into the line end.

Yes on the seals.

The caliper mod adds a bleeder to the other half of the caliper.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I jam a small cap thingy (pic of a selection from a hardware store assortment) into the line end.

Yes on the seals.

The caliper mod adds a bleeder to the other half of the caliper.

Oh, that looks sweet, unfortunately I had already spent my next few months car budget on the Focus RS then this happened to the Elise while waiting on the parts to arrive. As nice as the mod looks, I won't be able to swing it this time around.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
It helps to bleed with the caliper off so you can flip it over while you bleed. Just be sure to put a block of wood the thickness of the rotor between the pistons or they'll pop right out again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
To reduce how much brake fluid comes out, use something like a 2x4 against the seat to keep the brake pedal down. This blocks off the reservoir. It would still allow the line to drain but will keep the reservoir from draining. Just make sure to relieve pressure in the line safely (using the bleeder with something attached to it) or it'll splash brake fluid all over.

Disclaimer: I have not tried this on the Elise but it works on other cars.

Andrey

1 - 13 of 13 Posts