The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 Exige with 12,000 miles on the clock. I believe the car has been driven on the easy side, and have a few questions.

1. If the car isn't regularly tracked, and I'm not too hard on brakes, can I expect to get 25K+ miles out of the stock front pads? 35K+ out of the rears?

2. I get some squeal now and then, when they're cold, which I suppose is normal, is that the case?

3. I'm really fond of EBC Redstuff pads, I had them on my STi and they were quiet, easy on rotors, and produced very little dust (compared to stock). However, I don't see much love for them here, could that be because they're not a real track pad?

4. As far as a non-tracked car, what is your opinion of the stock pads? What I mean is, is it really a track pad, a street pad, or a good/bad compromise for a daily driver?

I hate to think I'm turning a track car into a street car, but I really won't be tracking the car much, hence the goofy questions. Any insight would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
1. I replaced both at 30K on a daily driver with minimal track time. Still had "some" pad left front and rear, but not much. Life really depends on use, if you are hard on your brakes, you will have to replace sooner.
2. Normal for me as well
3. Hated EBC on my old RX-7, don't know about on Lotus
4. I thought stock was a good compromise, but I replaced with Ferodo DS2500, which seem to have very similar bite as stock so far.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info :).

Hmmm, 30K, interesting. Did you replace the rotors as well?

Did you have the Redstuff's, Greenstuff's, or Yellowstuff's on your RX-7?

·
Registered
73 Posts
No, they were fine, will need to replace next time for sure. I believe I ran Red once on my RX-7, and was not happy with the results. I switched to Hawk Blues from then on. Awesome for the track, however not a good pad for street, very hard on rotors when cold.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, interesting. I had a set of Hawk pads once (on a Conquest TSi), and they ate my rotors within 10K miles. I'm just looking for something that's easy on rotors, light on dust, quiet, and good for the street. I see people running Porterfields and I'm like, what? No race pads for me...haha.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I got about 15K out of my fronts and it was a daily driver. Replaced all four wheels with Pagid RS 42 at that time. Rotors were fine.

I, too, have heard that Hawks are tough on rotors - part of the reason I went with the Pagids.

·
Registered
286 Posts
HIGHLY recommend Pagid Blues for your exact use.

Search here for 10 minutes and you'll see the love for them - from objective folks who don't even sell them ;)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Take a look at the Hawk HPS. There are posts from customers on the forum who basically had the same requirements as you.

PM Sent.

-G

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks man, for the price I think the Hawks are the better bet, but I do like what I've read about the Pagid's :).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hawk Blues are VERY corrosive. Even the Hawk company rep say "yes it is true" -
You will be thrilled with the Pagid Blues - RS42.

In stock, ready to go -

1 - 14 of 14 Posts