The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. Dropped my car at the dealer and was advised today that my pads are 3-4MM and as a result I will need to replace the pads AND the rotors because lotus rotors can't be turned. Would appreciate any opinions on this as it seems really odd to me and I've never heard of such a thing.

Thanks in advance all you smart folks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think i would go to a different dealer...Have you seen the pads and disks? what is the wear like on them? I would ask to see them before making the decision, especially as they want to change the radiator as well.
Could all be genuine but i would be checking it out first

·
Registered
385 Posts
Here's a couple of details from the factory service manual to help inform.

The spec for minimum thickness for pads is 2.5mm front and rear. The minimum service thickness for the disks is 24mm. The service manual states that "...no skimming or resurfacing of the disks is recommended. If the disk becomes badly scored or out of specification in any way, it should be replaced."

Whether or not the disks need service is dependent on how they are performing. If there is no pulsation, they're not cracked or heavily scored, and they are above the minimum thickness, there is no need for preemptive replacement for street use.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Here's a couple of details from the factory service manual to help inform.

The spec for minimum thickness for pads is 2.5mm front and rear. The minimum service thickness for the disks is 24mm. The service manual states that "...no skimming or resurfacing of the disks is recommended. If the disk becomes badly scored or out of specification in any way, it should be replaced."

Whether or not the disks need service is dependent on how they are performing. If there is no pulsation, they're not cracked or heavily scored, and they are above the minimum thickness, there is no need for preemptive replacement for street use.
I don't know how many miles you put on your car per year, but 3-4mm is usable in the short term. I just replaced the pads at that exact thickness but I was heading out for a track day. It took me two hours, taking my time, listening to some jazz tunes. My rotors were within spec and only lightly grooved. They worked just fine.

If you have drilled rotors or drilled and slotted, they are difficult to turn because of tool chatter, so the technician has to take it very slow. Drilled rotors are also susceptible to stress cracking because each drilled hole is a possible stress raiser. Most shops refuse to turn them because of this.

Most of the shops that advertise on this site will sell you rotors and pads as a complete kit. If one is local, they can install for you or you can do it yourself with some basic hand tools. There are you tube videos on how to do it and the tools required.

Welcome to Lotusing!

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
348 Posts
I've replaced pads several times but rotors, not until last year at about 48K miles. Rotors were still within spec, barely but since I had all corners off to do SS brake line install, figured it was convenient. Went with after-market rotors and am happy with result. Rotor/pad replacement isn't overly complicated, just take your time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts