The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got 2005 Elise with LSS, I do around 10+ track days a year. This is also my daily driver.

Right now I've got brand new Lotus stock pads up front and i need to replace the rears. CAn I go with something like Pagid Blue? (4-2)?

Long term I'd like to go to Pagid blacks 14s (I'll deal with the noise on the street), but I got the impression that having those on the back with stock pads up front would not be good.

Background: Previously, I'd been using Porterfields (have since read they've fallen out of favor), and i was at the track one day and ran out of front pad. The only thing available same day was lotus pad, so that's what i got. Now i need to replace the rears (which were Porterfields).

Any insights/recommendations would be welcome.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
you want to use pads that work well together.

i have no idea about this combo, but i do know that you can really upset thing if you have one end of the car working better/worse than the other end.
if it were me, i would go stock on both axles, or go to the pagids on both axles, and save the current pads for emergency spares.
you do know that you will need to break in your rotors ((bed the pads)for the new pad compounds if you change to something other than what you are currently using.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Have gone though two set of OEM pads and recently replaced them with Pagid Blues. (5-7 track days and autox per year).

The general censuses , seems to be the overall stock setup is bias towards the fronts. Ideally you want your brake compounds the same or very similar. The Blues most likely will take away a front bias but would be weary of trying near the limit use of that setup on track until you had a good feeling on how they interact.

In your shoes, if I did go with Blues in the back, wouldn’t pair them with Pagid Black in front. If you want to go with Black’s do them now all around and keep the OEM as emergency spares .

Which Porterfields are you running?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
I've done mixed pads front to back with no bad consequences.

You really shouldn't be using your brakes much anyway...

·
Registered
664 Posts
In my opinion, the best match for the front OEM pads is the EBC Ultimax rear pad. I just happen ;) to have an almost new set for sale for $30 including shipping here:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/brake-pads-fs-67434/

Great way to try these out. I boiled the 10 month old brake fluid in my car before the front Satisfied matched with these rear pads overheated. I only switched to EBC yellows all around because I was changing the fronts too often. EBC yellows would also make a great track and street pad. An Elise driver I know runs TTC record lap times with the Yellows and was only 0.1 seconds slower on the Satisfied/Ultimax pads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks all for the insight. In answer to one of the questions, I have Porterfield R4s on the back, but they are toast.

So currently i have Lotus stock (new) on front, and must put something new on the back. My plan is ultimately to go to Pagid blacks.

i was thinking i could put Pagid Blues on back now, and then when the lotus fronts go, put Pagid Blacks there. And then when Blues on rear go, I'd be black all around.

Is that a viable plan?

·
Registered
357 Posts
you don't necessarily need to match the pads, but you should choose wisely because of the resulting change in brake bias, running different pads intentionally allows you to dial in the brake bias you prefer, constantly changing it up is going to make it difficult to feel comfortable in the car under hard braking, unless you're easily bored and this is the desired result :crazyeyes

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
What everyone else said. But I typically would change to a grippier pad on the rear to move the bias away from the "safe" stock front bias. Keep in mind that on the street, this can make the car a handful under braking.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Craig- have considered doing that (at this point will wait until my fresh blues are done). Haven't run the black, as more of pure track pad, how are they cold? In other words, do I need to be a bit more careful until they are up to temp.

Randy- for the street (with a more neutral bias), is it more of a issue in emergency or very aggressive braking?

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Craig- have considered doing that (at this point will wait until my fresh blues are done). Haven't run the black, as more of pure track pad, how are they cold? In other words, do I need to be a bit more careful until they are up to temp.

Randy- for the street (with a more neutral bias), is it more of a issue in emergency or very aggressive braking?
In a panic stop. The only time I was really bit on this was a panic stop when someone in front of me slammed on the brakes on a gentle turn. The back end locked up and wanted to swap ends. I caught it, but a bit of a sphincter tightening moment that could have ended bad.

You DO have to aware of having one pad colder than the other. But if you choose pads carefully that is not a big deal. Don't put a really crazy track pad on one end and stock on the other.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
And by the way, you can use this bias to your favor on a really slow corner by intentionally locking up the rear and causing the car to rotate. Like driving a kart.

·
LotusRaceShop.com
537 Posts
+1

I like a little more rear bias for street and track. The car needs more rear braking for good trail braking at the track - Rob.

What everyone else said. But I typically would change to a grippier pad on the rear to move the bias away from the "safe" stock front bias. Keep in mind that on the street, this can make the car a handful under braking.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Turn in is a ton of fun when the back does it's proper share of the work -
Trail braking......MMMmmmmmmmmMMMmmmm.

Blacks for most do need a tad of warmup - I've had reports that after a few stops they feel great. YMMV.

They are a *track pad* so keep that in mind. Bu I tell ya, there is NOTHING like the Pagid Blacks.
Search for RS14 or Pagid Black and see the raves. It seriously is a significant difference for Lotus brakes, big time.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
bjwhalen-
I run the Porterfield R4S on my MR2 Turbo, for street and a few lighter duty autox days. Did try them on the Elise, after my first track day, they promptly came off and went back to the Lotus pads. Found them to have poor initial bite had a much softer pedal and longer braking distance. Based on that- you've been running even higher front bias then stock would give you.

With brand new Lotus pads in the front, adding Pagid Blue to the rear, will most likely give you a more neutral brake bias. Given your current setup, it may take a bit of a adjustment to get use to it. When your ready to replace the fronts, the rears are generally down enough, that I'd replace them at the same time. But if you do spend some time with Pagid Black in the front and Blues in the rear, expect a fairly heavy front bias till you change them to Blacks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
R4S should never see any track work - light AX yes, but man do they fail during track use.
Porterfield themselves expressly say "Not to be used on a race track" right on the R4S invoice.
Don't do it. S is for street.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts