The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After so many testing, finally concludes the noise from front LHS is from loose brake pads.

I can use finger to move the pad around very easily. And the pads are jumping when the car rolling in certain temp.

I remember Lotus applies some black very strong sticky glue between pads and the brake caliper. Anyone know where to buy it?

Or know how to fix it.

I put the copper grease (no good); 3M tape (won't last long).

·
Registered
135 Posts
After so many testing, finally concludes the noise from front LHS is from loose brake pads.

I remember Lotus applies some black sticky glue between pads and the brake caliper. Anyone know where to buy it?

Or know how to fix it.

I put the copper grease (no good); 3M tape (won't last long).
Auto parts store... In the states CRC brand makes a very good brake pad glue. It is red in color.

·
Registered
997 Posts

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Use the CRC stuff. I've been using it for years and it helps a lot to keep brake noise down.
My brake is fine without noise at all, except the pads jumping up and down when the car rolling without pressing the padel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
could you feel anything through the steering rack when the noise was heard? I am having a similar issue but only when the car has done a long journey / warmed up.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
could you feel anything through the steering rack when the noise was heard? I am having a similar issue but only when the car has done a long journey / warmed up.
Yes, I can feel some tiny tiny thing when the noise happen. That's why I suspected it is from the front left suspension.....

When weather is cold, I mean 60F, it takes a very long drive to have that noise. Sounds like bearing wear out and moving up and down.

Couple weeks ago when the weather was hot, I mean 80F, it takes 20 mins or so to have the noise.

2 days ago, after finish yet another suspension check up, replace all the spacers.... The noise show up when heat up the suspension or may be the brake. It's like this, you heat up the brake caplier on the long hill side road, the noise start to show up but not loud. Then you continue to drive on on highway, I think the pad cold off first than the caplier, then the noise get louder.

Tap on the brake then the noise goes away.

After the brake cool off, I can use my baby finger to move the pad around :panic:

But this couple days, it is around 80F all the time and the noise can show up anytime very loud rotation clunk.

I am going to put on some 3M tape to see what happen.

If someone can sell me those black Lotus factory pad glue than will be the best.

·
Registered
41 Posts
your situation sounds exactly the same as mine. I think I need to check out the pads when they make the noise then get some of the glue and 'rattle pads' Ive seen on Eliseparts :eek:)

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Tried the Elise Parts Anti-Rattle Brake Buffers tape. It won't work as the gap between the pad and caliper is too small, can't fit in the tape.

Update: So we placed the tape between the pad and the caliper. And this solve the noise. Currently the noise is very very min. and you have be very AXXL to hear that noise now :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts