The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went to the dealer to purchase brake pads for my '05 Elise.

$270/axle.:huh:

Sector 111's mild street uprated pads are nearly $100 less. But it seems there should be an OEM pad comparable in price to that of mere mortal automobiles. I know it's probably a more specific compound, but I just don't get it. Pads for my 1966 Jaguar E-type are $79.

Anybody know of a good source? Anybody have any experience w/ Sector 111's Pagid RS 4-2 pads?

·
Registered
663 Posts
EBC Ultimax are less than $100 for a complete set and close to OEM. Like the OEM they are great for the street and ocassional track days.

Seems like the most popular upgraded pads in popularity order:
Pagid 4-2
Fedorro any compound
Porterfield R4 (not the s)
Hawk
Carbotech
EBC Yellow (what I use for track days)

I am sure someone will correct me though.

You are welcome.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
EBC Ultimax are less than $100 for a complete set and close to OEM. Like the OEM they are great for the street and ocassional track days.

Seems like the most popular upgraded pads in popularity order:
Pagid 4-2
Fedorro any compound
Porterfield R4 (not the s)
EBC Yellow (what I use for track days)

I am sure someone will correct me though.

You are welcome.
Thanks AZ! BTW, my car was originally purchased in AZ. Know anybody who sold a chrome orange '05 last year?

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
You can buy Pagid RS-14s from Livermore Performance for $177-$188 front pair and $218 rear pair, and RS-4s for $177 front and $202 rear. Just another source for brake parts.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Porterfields are even cheaper, but their grip was much less than the Pagids. I have Pagid blues now.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Brake Pads - why so much $$$$????
Because you went to the dealer. :no: I have never heard of a dealer that didn't have at least a 40% markup on everything.

There are a ton of threads on here about where you can buy pads and which ones are best for your application.

Expect to pay roughly $80-$100/axle for basic pads (not including the typical over-the-counter crap) and anything north of $200/axle for top-end racing pads.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Porterfields are even cheaper, but their grip was much less than the Pagids. I have Pagid blues now.
I'm with you, there. I tried the Porterfield R4-S's. A horrible mistake for track use. I had bought two sets - one for a back-up - and both are sitting in my garage cabinet now.

The Pagid blues are delightful and cheaper than OEM. Try Craig at Rennsport. His customer service has been great.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
It's highway robbery really, there is less material, so they should be cheaper, they're just raping you.

EBC Redstuff pads for my STi were $200...TOTAL, front and rear, and they were twice the size of these dinky things.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
It's highway robbery really, there is less material, so they should be cheaper, they're just raping you.

EBC Redstuff pads for my STi were $200...TOTAL, front and rear, and they were twice the size of these dinky things.
There are a huge number of STi vs Lotus. Specialty parts specialty prices.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I'm very happy with the Hawk HPS Street brake pads purchased from the Tire Rack, which perform extremely well - $165 for both front and rear sets. You can get the race version for a little more (bottom of link):

Brakes Products for Lotus Elise Sport Package 2005

My mechanic installed and test drove with the Porterfield RS-4 - he returned looking pale like ghost and said that they had no grip at all and the car kept going! I still have them, brand new, some where at home!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Pagid blue: powerful, progressive, reliable in cold, hot and wet conditions. Best (aggressive) street pads.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
There are a huge number of STi vs Lotus. Specialty parts specialty prices.
Sorry, I can't buy that, it's not like they reinvented the wheel for the Elise. Let's check the prices for a Smart Car, shall we? Specialty car, remember?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Try the Blues. You will not regret it.

Search for 'Pagid Blue' & 'Pagid RS4-2' and see the happiness - no need to take my word for it ;)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Tirerack. $21 and $27 for satisfied OEM compound.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Pagid Blues here and happy. Mostly street with 2-4 track days a year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts