The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I went to have my car track inspection done, and Steve (Safe4Now) recommended to get new brake pads, but not the OEM ones since they are more expensive. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? The only requirements:

1) Cheaper than OEM
2) Delivered in enough time so that they can be installed before 9/28.

Help!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Funny you mention this...have been considering the same question.

Started prelim research, and all indications (so far...) seem to point to Pagid Blues for street & any occasional track usage. s111 & bwr both carry them.

From my notes:
Best Brake Pads? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
Lotus Elise Maintenance, Front Brake Pad Replacement

You may be tempted by the cheaper Porterfield R4-S. I personally won't be going that route.

I'll probably spend another night or two doing research and will pull the trigger soon after so I can get them installed, bedded, and road-tested.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I went with the EBC Yellow Stuff pads but I'm not sure how they compare to the OEMs in price.

Much more stopping power and great for street and track.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting links...

It looks like 360 bucks + tax for both of the pagid blue sets on S111.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Hey guys,

So I went to have my car track inspection done, and Steve (Safe4Now) recommended to get new brake pads, but not the OEM ones since they are more expensive. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? The only requirements:

1) Cheaper than OEM

Help!
The most popular pad (probably globally) for your application is a Ferodo 2500. Performance/price; I don't see how they can be beat. Check my web site for more information.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I went with the EBC Yellow Stuff pads but I'm not sure how they compare to the OEMs in price.

Much more stopping power and great for street and track.
I also have the EBC Yellow Stuff pads and love them. I think they are cheaper than some of the other options, but they really do make a BIG difference in stopping power.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hrm, it seems the EBC and Ferodo pads are designed primarily for the track (and the Ferodo link says they arent even for street use).

·
Registered
723 Posts
Hrm, it seems the EBC and Ferodo pads are designed primarily for the track (and the Ferodo link says they arent even for street use).
Huh? :shrug:
DS2500 This race developed pad has all the qualities required for an excellent high performance street pad. Its consistent coefficient of friction at any temperature gives very predictable braking and great pedal modulation. This new generation of friction material is very low in compressibility ensuring a firm pedal feel, while still providing great life for both rotor and pad.

The main characteristics of the DS2500 compound are:

■Consistent coefficient of friction (0,42) at all temperatures
■Low noise / low dusting
■Long pad life
■Kind on discs
■Race pedal feel

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oops, it says the DS3000 is not suitable for road use.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Not on my web site but...

The DS2500 is currently the best hybrid track/street pad on the market. It features the moderately high bite and solid fade resistance of a track pad, with the relatively low dust and noise levels of a street pad. When used as a street pad, it can produce some squeal on certain vehicle platforms. (I have had no complaints from any Lotus customer yet.) During aggressive driving the DS2500 is known for its flat torque curve, which means as temperatures go up, the response through the brake pedal remains consistent. If you drive aggressively on the street, do some canyon runs, autoX, and maybe some light track duty on street tires, the DS2500 is tough to beat.

Race developed
Performs equally well on heavy and light cars
20% less pad wear than competitive products
Minimal bedding-in. Supplied ready to use
Disc friendly
Consistent friction level with changing temperatures and speeds to give optimal pedal modulation
High friction level at low temperature (good cold braking)
High friction level at very high temperatures
35% less compressibility than competitive products (racing pedal feel)
Less noise for increased driving comfort
Moderate brake dust

·
Registered
365 Posts
Not on my web site but...

The DS2500 is currently the best hybrid track/street pad on the market. It features the moderately high bite and solid fade resistance of a track pad, with the relatively low dust and noise levels of a street pad. When used as a street pad, it can produce some squeal on certain vehicle platforms. (I have had no complaints from any Lotus customer yet.) During aggressive driving the DS2500 is known for its flat torque curve, which means as temperatures go up, the response through the brake pedal remains consistent. If you drive aggressively on the street, do some canyon runs, autoX, and maybe some light track duty on street tires, the DS2500 is tough to beat.

Race developed
Performs equally well on heavy and light cars
20% less pad wear than competitive products
Minimal bedding-in. Supplied ready to use
Disc friendly
Consistent friction level with changing temperatures and speeds to give optimal pedal modulation
High friction level at low temperature (good cold braking)
High friction level at very high temperatures
35% less compressibility than competitive products (racing pedal feel)
Less noise for increased driving comfort
Moderate brake dust
dmh, I'll give these a try. I'll contact you via your website.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
EBC Yellow work fine for me street and track. I can do full 30 minute sessions at MSR with RA1s on the car and turning consistent 1:23s (1.7 CCW) with no fade, and when I drive on the street they are quiet, rotor friendly and low dusting, too. I have not priced them recenlty, but I want to say all 4 corners are in the $200-250 range, so simolar in price to the DS2500s. Never tried the latter, so can't compare.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I can do full 30 minute sessions at MSR with RA1s on the car and turning consistent 1:23s (1.7 CCW)
Now you're just showing off. :coolnana:

·
Registered
213 Posts
EBC Yellow work fine for me street and track. I can do full 30 minute sessions at MSR with RA1s on the car and turning consistent 1:23s (1.7 CCW) with no fade, and when I drive on the street they are quiet, rotor friendly and low dusting, too. I have not priced them recenlty, but I want to say all 4 corners are in the $200-250 range, so simolar in price to the DS2500s. Never tried the latter, so can't compare.
+1

Very streetable and very trackable. Hard to find the balance but these pads come through.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It looks like the EBC Yellow Stuff pads can be had for 97.85 front, and 99.23 rear from autoaccessoriesgarage.com, with free shipping. That's not a bad deal.
2005 Lotus Elise EBC Yellow Stuff Brake Pads

The only thing I'm worried about though is that these brake pads will be squealing for a long time. Honestly, I've never had a brake pad change because I've changed cars too often (and I'm young, give me a break =D)

·
Registered
821 Posts
Pagid Blues through Rennstore

·
Registered
347 Posts
It looks like the EBC Yellow Stuff pads can be had for 97.85 front, and 99.23 rear from autoaccessoriesgarage.com, with free shipping. That's not a bad deal.
2005 Lotus Elise EBC Yellow Stuff Brake Pads

The only thing I'm worried about though is that these brake pads will be squealing for a long time. Honestly, I've never had a brake pad change because I've changed cars too often (and I'm young, give me a break =D)
I changed mine myself, have had them on the car for maybe a year now and have not had ANY squealing from day 1. They are really good pads (huge difference over the stock pads). Several folks in our local Lotus group use them and none of us have had any issues.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
ditto - no noise ever from EBC yellow on Elise and several other types of cars. Try them, I bet you like them.

And guilty - I tend to be the MSR track bully sometimes, but my point was that I can hammer the car hard and get objectively good performance without brake fade on the yellows. The idea is that I am not a (complete) tool making subjective comments about the pads with no real ability to drive.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ditto - no noise ever from EBC yellow on Elise and several other types of cars. Try them, I bet you like them.

And guilty - I tend to be the MSR track bully sometimes, but my point was that I can hammer the car hard and get objectively good performance without brake fade on the yellows. The idea is that I am not a (complete) tool making subjective comments about the pads with no real ability to drive.
Well, I ordered the EBC Yellow stuff pads - 197 bucks total for it (free shipping yay). Thanks for the recommendation, and once they get here and they get installed, I'll give an update about how awesome they are.

·
Vendor
3,336 Posts
Hey guys,

1) Cheaper than OEM

Help!
Porterfield R4-S at Blackwatch Racing - Lotus Elise and Exige Superchargers, Parts, and Accessories

Porterfield R4-S Front Brake Pads, Lotus Brakes - Blackwatch Racing

1 - 20 of 72 Posts