The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brake parts question.. And don't snag on me!

Found this on UK ebay

Lotus Esprit Brake Calipers Lotus Esprit S4 Front Brake Caliper Kit Brembo | eBay

Odd part is they say in the posting:

"1993 YEAR LOTUS ESPRIT S4 TURBO FRONT BREMBO BRAKE CALIPER & DISC KIT"

BUT.. I thought the Brembo's were not fitted until 1995?? They even list VIN info, etc.

The ad further says:
WHAT YOU GET:

1 X PAIR OF FRONT BREMBO BRAKE CALIPERS C/w. PADS, PINS & FIXING BOLTS

1 X PAIR OF CROSS DRILLED FRONT BRAKE DISCS

1 X PAIR OF CALIPER TO HUB FIXINGS

Are these all the bits and such necessary to install on my 1994 without Brembo brakes? At approx. $1200 seems like a fair price as well...

Rotors look a bit worn in the pics though...

Just don't any of you go snagging it on me if it is all that is needed..

:)

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Brembo calipers were fitted to the S4 part way through the production. Early S4 have Toyota/Bendix, later ones have Brembo front and rear.
The S4 started in 1992. (according to this chart)

Esprit Production Figures: 1997-2002, For Reading on a Standing Desk

Looks like the Brembos started appearing in 1994 though, since many 1994 S4 have the Toyota calipers.

You would need the fixing brackets, rotors, calipers, bolts. I would guess the brake lines are different too.

Keep in mind that suspension and brake parts from the UK tend to be super rusty...

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Steve runs Douglas Valley Breakers and the several MN club members have dealt with him. He has been doing Lotus parts for some time. Prices are little on the high side but otherwise a good supplier. He knows his cars

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I am out if someone else wants it..

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I emailed askign what his best price is.. no reply as yet

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Dumb question that probably has been asked dozens of times prior to me making this place my home but what's the deal with all the Esprits that catch on fire? This is the third post that I have seen and two of them are this week! Thinking I need to make sure mine won't kill me or my wife. Any info?

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Dumb question that probably has been asked dozens of times prior to me making this place my home but what's the deal with all the Esprits that catch on fire? This is the third post that I have seen and two of them are this week! Thinking I need to make sure mine won't kill me or my wife. Any info?
You will be ok. You are in good enough shape to escape the Esprit in a timely manner after the rear compartment bursts into raging inferno.

Seriously just about all is from a fuel leak from the aging hoses and fuel tanks. Some report fire caused by a plugged overheating cat (matrix breaking down). I would go ahead and check every fuel related lines including the balancers and rollover check valve hoses under the right gutter and the charcoal canister hoses.

20 year old fuel lines change them out. People change out washing machine and dishwasher hoses in a shorter duration

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
You will be ok. You are in good enough shape to escape the Esprit in a timely manner after the rear compartment bursts into raging inferno.

Seriously just about all is from a fuel leak from the aging hoses and fuel tanks. Some report fire caused by a plugged overheating cat (matrix breaking down). I go ahead and check every fuel related lines including the balancers and rollover check valve hoses under the right gutter and the charcoal canister hoses.
HA.

Yeah thanks, found another thread about braided steel lines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts